Cultural Environment?

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 05:46 pm
Hello all

Im looking for information about CULTURAL ENVIRONMENT ... ive searched in many places but I could hardly find the MEANING of that term even! Can anyone at least explain to me what does cultural environment actually mean? and if there are some references or sources through which I can find out more about it and its causes/effects

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 33,909 • Replies: 23
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 03:19 am
What do you think it means? Do you know what "cultural" means? And what "environment" means?
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 05:48 am
Your question is rather like asking what economy means. There is no one who lives outside of an economy, and explaining what the implications of that are, even in a primitive society, is an enormous task. There is no one who lives outside a cultural environment, and the implications are possibly even more vast than the implications of economies.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:47 am
i have an understanding of what it means but im looking for the exact definition of it, thats all.

as i understand it, it is the 'environment' which is shaped by the culture which i live in. what environment resulting from the traditions, rituals, norms of a culture. is that right? still, where can i find an elaboration on it? ive been searching but only found about culture and the broad meaning of it
dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
Hows this sound. I am not sure it covers environment as well as I would like.

Cultural environment is the term used to encompass all the meanings (values) that a place may have to people, beyond its utilitarian value. Commonly it refers to aesthetic, historical, scientific or social value for past or present generations.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:27 am
I agree with the broad definitions and that it is almost impossible to define in a few senntences.

Getting down to a more intimate evnironment, there are the families who want to provide a culteral environment for their children. That's when it gets more specific. Classical music, a majoy classical prose and poetry, the study of art and science.

All this is typical for a Europe and the Americas--typical western cultures. I'm sure it takes place in the Near East and Asia, reflecting their own definitions of culture.

A very simplified view, but one which incorporates the ways families veiw culture.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:40 am
Another version.

Cultural environment - an environment which has developed as a result of human economic and life activity and retains vestiges of such activity (material articles, cultural values and spiritual values).
faolex.fao.org/docs/texts/lat37834.doc
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:54 am
BBB
To me, a cultural environment is the social contract based on the ethos of the family, tribe, community, state, country, spiritual beliefs.

BBB
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:17 am
For the fun of it I translated cultural environment into Swedish. I came up with a couple of things. Words or expressions often do have another meaning in a foreign language.
Book cafe :Enjoy your coffee in a cultural environment.
The house is situated in a cultural environment. In this case it meant it is in an unspoiled forrest.
A school tried to develope a cultural environment for the students.
It also came up in connection with food in other countries.

I think it is first of all our language, our traditions, the arts and many other things which shape us during our life.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
The cultural environment is made up of institutions and other forces that affect society's values, perceptions, preferences and behaviours. People grow up in a particular society that shapes their basic beliefs and values. They absorb a world view that defines their relationships to themselves and others.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
Except in a few instances, I don't see much advantage to using the term "cultural environment" over simply "culture."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 02:22 pm
When being paid by the word, or when required to submit a certain number of them in an assignment?
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 03:46 pm
very interesting definitions. They make the term more clearer and accurate for me. But when speaking of the CAUSES of a cultural environment, what kind of CAUSES might it have? can we say globalization is one cause? religion? family enforcement? school?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
Dagmarka is the one to ask, This is right up her alley.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:57 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
But when speaking of the CAUSES of a cultural environment, what kind of CAUSES might it have? can we say globalization is one cause? religion? family enforcement? school?

Explaining where culture comes from is an ambitious project indeed. Those things you mentioned can just as easily be called symptoms as causes.
0 Replies

sxkstyle

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:21 am
hey
cultural environment means your surroudings in terms of cultural geography. Basically to put this in understandable terms, a cultural environment is your surroundings in a basis of religion, mostly, it's people, food, medicine, all that stuff. So if you want to classify the cultural environment of say, Africa, you would have to research the religion in Africa, and things like that.
Another role of this is physical geography, which is greatly in relation to cultural geography, or cultural environment. Physical geography is the landscape in a general way of putting it. These two relate due to migration, the culture of the people in what places, and what they eat (cultural) due to where they are (physical)
respond if you want more information.
I can help you write a report if you want.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 04:04 pm
well what you said was enough to give me a general solid background from which i can start exploring deeper
thanks a lot!!
0 Replies

kangchaowei3032

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:02 pm
meaning of "culture environment"
For this expression has different meanings in different occasions, so I can only provide you with some sentences with it. May they can help you!

The first one is "On Sustainable Development of Cultural Environment ";
Senond one is "Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and occasional late hours are required.";

The last one is "The criticism on unbalance of cultural environment by rational consciousness"

Generally speaking, this expression can be translated into "文化生态".
0 Replies

amritmirpuri

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
the cultural environment is made up of institutions and other forces that affect soceity's basic values,perceptions,preferences and behaviours.People grow up in a particular soceity that shapes their basic beliefs and values.They absorb a world-view that defines their relationships with others.
0 Replies

ashv25

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:03 am
@vonderjohn,
The cultural environment includes institutions and other forces that affect the basic values, behaviors, and preferences of the society-all of which have an effect on consumer marketing decisions.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cultural Environment?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:05:26