Touched the faucet outside - got a buzz...

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:37 am
Does anyone know why that is and if I should be concerned? When I was watering the dogs I felt a little hum go through my hand...stung just a little at first but it feels like a very slight electrical current. Nothing drastic...no real shock - kind of like when you put your tongue to the two poles of a 9volt battery.

I touched it several times and it seems pretty constant. My Daddy's an electrician but I hate to call him again when he is in the middle of a project (I do that a lot about house things) but I don't want to call an electrician over here either.

Anybody got any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,430 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:39 am
I used to live in some countries where electric water heaters were often used. Many times it would give a shock exactly like you describe. It would hurt a lot more if you had any cuts.

I think you are right to suspect that it's an electric shock.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:41 am
Do you think I need to call an electrician?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
If you want to find out more maybe. I wouldn't care too much.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:50 am
Thanks...putting it out of my head.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:27 pm
I think you ought to call someone about it. If the electric is being grounded against your water pipes, it could get worse.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm
You have a ground fault somewhere in the house and your grounding strap is connected to a cold water pipe.

I'd be more afraid of the house burning down from the fault than getting a shock from the faucet.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm
You can determine which breaker the fault is on quite easily. Turn them off one at a time until you no longer feel the "buzz". Note the breaker - there should be a diagram in the box that tells you what each breaker is for - BR, bath, kitchen, etc. It'll give you a starting point.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
Thank you cjhsa....going to take care of it now.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:55 pm
Thanks Edgar.....shutting down everything finding out which one...then calling the electrician. I appreciate you both.
mis
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:58 pm
If you appreciate ever'body so damned much, how come yer stickin' yer tongue out at ever'body?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:12 pm
Years ago I heard a story about a dairy farmer in New England whose cows stopped drinking the water from the source he provided. He eventually found out the an electrical current ran through the water, shocking the cows every time they went for a sip. He was able to get it fixed.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
Sorry Setanta...that better?

It's not doing at all now. I did like I was told...turned off all the breakers, went back and forth flipping each individual one on and checking. Finally turned them all back on and not once did I get buzzed. Still - I called the electrician. He will be here in a bit. Rolling Eyes dadgummit I hate spending money on stuff like this..but I would rather have them check it out.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:46 pm
I just realized I did it backwards...but the electrician will be here in a bit so he will figure it out.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:39 pm
I called the electrician and cancelled....Dad's coming up tomorrow and fixing it. It is a ground fault and the air conditioner is causing it. I noticied it only does it when the air is on...also - I only felt it when I was barefooted...so it was grounding out through me earlier when I was watering the dog. I didn't feel it when I went out later because I put shoes on. Amazing stuff.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:45 pm
That's a good bit of detective work! Wink Should save your dad an hour or two of looking for it.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:48 pm
Thanks - and I'm strangely energized Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:12 pm
Good on you, mismi, you're sharp.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:16 am
Thank you Osso - I was quite pleased with myself :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:25 am
You'd get a buzz from my hose mismi.

No electricain required though.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Touched the faucet outside - got a buzz...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 05:09:45