Dumb and Dumber

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:52 am
Yesterday, I was walking through my house, and I heard music playing very low, almost inaudibly. I had no radio, TV or computer on, so I wondered where the music was coming from.

Mr. P did not hear the music, but suggested that it might be from one of the neighbors, or possibly from a worker's truck that was parked near the house. I went outside. Nothing. In fact, I could no longer hear the music.

I cracked a joke that it might be a squirrel in the attic playing with his Ipod. But by this time it was not very funny. It was totally frustrating to hear something, almost subliminally, and not be able to pinpoint its source.

I walked around the house. Suddenly, I determined that the music was coming out of an air conditioner vent in the ceiling. I took a stepstool, and investigated. Sure enough, it WAS coming from that area.

But no, it was not coming from the air conditioner vent. It was emanating from a cabinet under the vent, that held my tapes and CDs. I opened the cabinet, and the music got louder.

So, the mystery was solved. I had inadvertently left the radio on in my portable CD player. I had been using the CD, but must have inadvertently hit the radio key when I put it away.

It was housed in a soft case, and kept behind heavy wooden doors. Since I had come home from walking around 11 am, and it was now 7 pm, the radio must have been playing for eight hours straight. And the battery had not even run down!

Boy, did I feel stupid! Embarrassed

Anyone else have a "Dumb and Dumber" story to tell on themselves???

Fess up!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 544 • Replies: 13
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:17 am
I'm sure I'll think of something to contribute, but for now I need to know what kind of batteries you use. Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:32 am
Squinney- I use plain old Duracell Coppertop. Funny thing, I had used this (there is only ONE battery in this player) battery for playing CDs for quite a while now. The CDs take a lot more "juice" than the radio. I am shocked that the damn thing could still play!

Funny that you should mention batteries. What I have found is that the rechargable batteries that are used in digital cameras are a pain in the butt. If you keep them around for more than a little while, they lose their charge. I had read an article about the Energizer lithium batteries for cameras. I get much better results with them than the rechargables.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:05 pm
Nothing that I dare to share. Embarrassed

Lithium batteries can produce twice the voltage of 'regular' batteries.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:23 pm
squinney wrote:
I'm sure I'll think of something to contribute, but for now I need to know what kind of batteries you use. Very Happy

you see phoenix doesn't use her batteries for hours EVERY day...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:22 am
Nothin like like a good battery :-D
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:49 am
Just tried to fit a piece of glass to a window. I measured and ordered it yesterday.

1380 x830 mm

Its 783 mm not 830 mm.

DP you are dumb clutz!!!!!.

Never mind the glass bloke will recut for me when he gets in this afternoon
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:28 am
Alright, now I have another dumb story to tell. As All Americans know, April 15th the day that one has to file income taxes. This year, we had a particularly complicated return.

I tried to coerce Mr. P. to use Turbo Tax, even bought a disc, but he was convinced that they were not going to get it right, and he did it by hand. We were really getting close to the deadline this year.

Anyhow our post office closes at 4:30 p.m. I discovered that a post office about 20 minutes from us was upen until 10 pm last night for people who wanted to get their taxes postmarked on the 15th.

I thought that Mr. P. was finished on Monday, but that was not to be. There was still more stuff to do. By mid afternoon, I knew that we were not going to make it to the local post office.

Finally...................we were finished. I dutifully made copies. Because of the complications, we were sending in a lot of papers that verified our figures, in anticipation of some clerk at the IRS who might ask us some dumb questions. We believe in being proactive.

Anyhow, I dutifully copied all of the paperwork. The stuff did not fit in the regular IRS envelope, and we finally found one that we could use. I put the papers, with our check in the envelope, and sealed it. Even though we had sent in a lot of stuff, I thought that the package was awfully heavy.

Anyhow, Mr. P. asked me where I put the copies of the return. I told him that I gave it to him. We tore the house apart looking for them, to no avail.

Finally, I decided to open the package that I so beautifully sealed. Sure enough, I had slipped the copies in with the original return! Embarrassed

We finally got to the post office at about 7:30 p.m. I was shocked to see the lineup of people who had waited until the last minute to file. The parking lot in the post office was jammed. The clerk said that it had been a madhouse all evening. We ended up eating dinner out at 8:30 p.m.

Today we are both complete wrecks. Although it is beautiful out, I plan to loll about the house the entire day!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:46 am
On the Chesapeake, I once steered a friends beautiful Pierson Yatch into BAltimore harbor when I should have been going East in the direction of the DElaware Bay. I knew Id gotten my lighthouses wrong when I saw Fort McHenry coming on at a point off starboard. Id been sailing the wrong way for about 3 hours. (But I was making really great time).
It was another 9 hour sail to where we were supposed to be in DElaware City for a clambake the next day. (I did all this errant sailing during the night .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:50 am
I was watching Cast Away. I loved the whole thing where Tom Hanks talked with the volleyball. Then toward the end of the movie when he bought a new volley ball and was driving with it still boxed, I said, "That's why he called it Wilson." - of course never realizing that brand name before.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Anyhow our post office closes at 4:30 p.m. I discovered that a post office about 20 minutes from us was upen until 10 pm last night for people who wanted to get their taxes postmarked on the 15th.

Guess what happens if your return is postmarked April 16th?

[size=7]nothing[/size]
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:18 am
BBB
Both of my parents died when I was a baby. My father when I was seven months old and my mother died three months later.

My choice of parents changed my life.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:23 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Both of my parents died when I was a baby. My father when I was seven months old and my mother died three months later.

My choice of parents changed my life.

BBB

BBB- That must have been awful for you. Considering everything, I think that you turned out just fine!

JPB- I would expect that I would have had to pay interest and penalties. We have taken extensions in the past, but if you take an extrension, you have to pay the tax by the 15th anyway.

Hey, I am one of those people who get upset if I have to pay a fine for a late library book!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
I assumed the same thing, Phoenix. Last year I raced over to the PO to get it in before midnight. My PO historically stayed open late on the 15th, but when I got there at dinnertime they were closed and a sign on the door said the PO in a neighboring town was open late. Rush hour traffic, dinner waiting, fed up with doing taxes, etc., all contributed to me saying, "screw it" and I threw my envelope into the curbside mailbox knowing it wouldn't be postmarked until the next day. It included a 4-digit check. Never heard a word....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dumb and Dumber
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 08:50:54