do you plan to come to china beijing for Olympic?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:25 am
I agree with Fbaezer, who posted just how I feel.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:10 am
The United States boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. The Soviet Union boycotted the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles in retaliation. Remember how pointless that was?
0 Replies

robinekin

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:46 am
CalamityJane wrote:
robinekin wrote:
about other foreign media report,i think it is distortion,even lying,some of the media has admited their mistakes,and out of the mistakes,i think most of them wants to give press to such a special country deliberately at such a special time.

China used good brainwashing tactics that seem to work with its people.

well,in fact,i just supposed myself to be the dalai lama or other anti-chinese group member,i am sure to use the opportunity to disturb the Olympic for political purpose,it is easy to acceptable,and as we know the fast-development of China during these years,if "I" don't action right now,I CAN'T FIND A HOPE IN FUTURE.

At another view,it is certainly that Chinese Gov understand why many special-relationship countries point her autocratic management ,it is very sensitive at the special parts of China like Tibet,because they are the spring of problems which is offen used to attack China Democracy by some countries ,and if you are the leader of the Gov,do you want to give press to the people living at the special place?don't you take action to give special care for the economy development and people living?do you think 7-years preparing for Olympic is just to build gymnasiums?
i tell you a simple fact,the admission exam of University in China,almost all the students in China take the same exam paper,but the admission-line of grade in different province are very different,for a actual example,the key-school admission-line of ShanDong Province is 573,and the line at Tibet is just 303.who is controlling the policy,and why does he do this?...many things can prove the truth.So,as we know above,why do the Tibetan want to argue against the Gov?And it is very clear that many people showing in the spot vidio are the famers ,shepherds,and do you think they have enough culture to show their political opinions if they weren't manipulated by a reactionary?

a simple view,Chinese Gov try his best to make the society stable for the Olympic,he absolutely can't give press to sensitive people since everybody knows that,the whole world is watching China,especially his sensitive parts.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:26 pm
sshjj wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No. How are things in Tibet?

Sports is sport,politics is politics

Are you so naive to suggest that China is not using politics in these games? Get into the real world.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
Eh, I'm not even going to MY (Vancouver) Olympics, never mind China
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:49 pm
I was in LA in '84. Not a good year in many ways, but never mind all that. As it happens, there was yet another olympic boycott. A friend worked for or with (I forget which) the big graphics firm that did such a wonderful job for a lot of the displays - Jerde, I think the name was. The only thing I went to was the women's marathon, which went through Marina del Rey about four blocks from our house. I can only imagine what a serious deal that is for the runners, though as I used to understand it, the olympics is not the major marathon for elite runners, and I do wonder about the marathon air in Beijing. But, as another poster said, altitude can getcha more. I am presuming no record times, but I suppose I could be wrong.
0 Replies

sshjj

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:49 am
Intrepid wrote:
sshjj wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No. How are things in Tibet?

Sports is sport,politics is politics

Are you so naive to suggest that China is not using politics in these games? Get into the real world.

The Olympic game 2008 is all Chinese game,not goverment's game
Pls don't so CNN
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:56 am
I really wish I could be able to go. Mostly because I would love to see the changes made in China since I was last there in the early 1990's
There are a number of things that have been done that I totally disagree on their need (like the Gorges dam) or the flooding of the largest karst landscape on earth.

Keeping politics aside (and I agree with wandel), I hope that China quickly learns the value of retaining unspoiled natural landscapes, mankind cannot improve them.

The May NAtional Geographic devoted its entire issue to China and the projection statistics are astounding when viewed on such a large scale of population
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:21 am
Being from Munich, I was unfortunately present at the 1972 Olympics.
In an ideal world you do separate sports from politics, however, we're
far from that.

I agree though that a boycott only deprives the athletes of attending the Olympiad and that's not fair. They most often conditioned themselves
a lifetime for this event, and might have another chance 4 years down
the road.
0 Replies