Most outstanding or unusual DIY task

titia

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 02:15 am
Although some tasks are best left to professionals, we all have done things on our own. Things like fixing a broken chair, or knitting ourselves a sweater, or making a kite for the kid, you name it.

I wonder, what was the most outstanding or the most unusual thing / task you did yourself? And, most interestingly -- how was it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,552 • Replies: 29
No top replies

titia

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 02:21 am
Just to start with an own story... I've cut my own hair. Or, more accurately, attempted to fix a bad haircut I got at the salon.

Surprisingly, the "after" haircut wasn't much worse than the "prior" haircut -- they both were equally bad, one just being shorter than another.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:49 am
i tried to make something of myself

i almost cut my hair just the other day
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 05:04 pm
Ok, will probably think of something more interesting but on the subject of hair...

Without modesty now, gotta say I've gotten quite good at it. My own. Even others.

Shorter styles mostly. And simple dye jobs.

It's quite a handy skill to have, doesn't save all that much money, but to perk up someone's spirits.

Can see how some hair stylists can love their work. When you get it right, it's rewarding to see someone happy with it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 05:24 pm
This weekend I am installing laminated wood flooring on the whole first level of my home.

I love DIY projects.

I do all my own car mechanic work. I just got done tiling my bathroom floor. Nothing too creative, but still.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:26 pm
maporsche, sounds like you've got truely handy skills!

Never installed any kind of floor or so, but did some "test driving" as a carpenter -- made two kids' chairs out of solid wood with my bare hands Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:39 pm
I'm just bookmarking right now.

What a great question!! Welcome to A2K, titia.

I'm always trying to fix something or do something so this looks like that but I'm going to have to apply myself to come up with the best ones.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:38 am
I know a DIY task that I can do better than anyone.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:19 am
boomerang wrote:
I'm just bookmarking right now.

What a great question!! Welcome to A2K, titia.

I'm always trying to fix something or do something so this looks like that but I'm going to have to apply myself to come up with the best ones.

Thanks for the warm welcome Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:04 am
I did my own divorce.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:47 am
dadpad wrote:

Go on.....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:59 am
It's too early here for such a visual.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:24 am
squinney wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Go on.....

I'll show you

<gets out wood and screwing tools>

< starts hammering away>
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
dadpad wrote:

Oh my Embarrassed reminds me a story --

"This man, he built his house himself, made most of the furniture himself... and he fully servises his car, and cooks all the food for himself. Really, he does everything himself."
"Does he have a wife?"
"No, everything, everything himself."
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:51 am
I am by no means a handyman (come-a, come-a, come-a, come-a, come, come, yeah, yeah, yeah ), but I did put in a big closet in our
bedroom.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:24 am
Oh! I remembered my favorite!

I made a backdrop for my photo studio trying to recreate a wall I had seen in some movie.

I bought a huge piece of vinyl flooring, painted the back of it with red primer and glued on a million tiny squares of copper leaf, burnished the whole shebang with the back of a spoon, aged it with some thin black paint and varnished several coats of umber on top.

The only evidence I still have of it is sadly a black and white photo where you can't see much of it...

http://0301.netclime.net/1_5/0/8/E/skgi_1292932_1911.jpg
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:42 pm
Gawd, that kid is cute. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:55 pm
I've done lots of DIY projects, but mostly for other people. The last thing I did was make a retaining wall of stone for my parents.....

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007aug_retainingwallsmall.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:51 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
Gawd, that kid is cute. Smile

That's Mo when he was a few months old.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:52 am
littlek wrote:
I've done lots of DIY projects, but mostly for other people. The last thing I did was make a retaining wall of stone for my parents...

Has it retained them?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Most outstanding or unusual DIY task
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 10:39:49