11

A simile that doesn't use "like" or "as."

dlowan

2  
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 12:32 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Finding an example of a simile without 'as' or 'like' is like finding a needle in a haystack.

And when you find it it tends to be a metaphor.

Here to learn

1  
Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:00 pm
@SCoates,
Okay I have a question......how can the sentence be a simile without like or as???
How can you tell because this is very confusing.
Please give me an answer.
LSodowsky

1  
Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:06 am
"The way" functions like "like" or "as." "The way" functions the same way as "like" or "as". Similes use "like" or "as" or "the way." Of course the school definition is too narrow. The key distinction between simile and metaphor are the helping hand words of the simile, and because English is English of course we have synonyms for "like" and "as."

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:57 am
There was a definition of "simile" used earlier that was too constrictive. Many dictionaries explain that "like" or "as" are used often or usually, but not that they are used exclusively in the metaphor comparing two unlike things. So, using "the way" would qualify the expression as a simile.

Flippanty

4  
Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 02:40 pm
In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck's initial description of Lennie states: '...he walked heavily, dragging his feet a little, the way a bear drags his paws.' He could have written 'like the way a bear drags its paws', but this would be clumsy on the ear. I think Steinbeck nailed it.

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 03:46 pm
@Flippanty,
Ah. That's your first post. No wonder I didn't recognize your username. I'm looking forward to more.

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 04:12 pm
@Flippanty,
Flippanty wrote:

Excellent!

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 05:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
Did we just agree about something?
InfraBlue

2  
Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:18 pm
@roger,
Heh!

Flippanty

1  
Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2017 01:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thanks. Hope it helps.

glen74

2  
Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 05:40 pm
@SCoates,
I am writing a noir novel atm and i read once a famous author said using the word 'like' was not very creative and lazy. So I reflected on my book and held that law steadfast, sure I still use the word ' like' in many places but as the quote said, it shows a lack of imagination.
She flew like a bird.
Her wings opened as those of a bird, and she flew.

Ithecoolgirloriganal

0  
Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 09:51 pm
@Here to learn,
It isn't a simile, it's a metaphor, but another type of figure of speech

TARA222

0  
Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 09:32 pm
@SCoates,
"she walked with the grace of a swan" that is simile without using"like" or "as"

1  
Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 11:22 pm
@TARA222,
Never saw a swan walk, did'ja?