Citations

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:26 pm
I couldn't decide what forum to post this to so general is always a safe alternative.

So I haven't written a research paper in quite some time and can't remember all the citation rules. How do you cite a book that is a collection of reports all written by different authors but edited by one person? Just use the editor name or do I need to use the author names too?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:38 pm
Generally, you would list it alphabetically, by that author, and provide after the particulars of the article, the source book:

Jones, Tom, "Sexual Stimulation in Bored 40-Something Housewives", in Pop Star Pop Psychology: Essays in Shallow Opinions, Sylvester Stal-loon, Ed., St. Mary-Mother-of-God Press, Pismo Beach, 1999.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:44 pm
So authors and title of report followed by name of book, editor, publisher, etc??
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
That was the method with which i was always familiar, yes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:47 pm
Do you have a copy of or access to The Chicago Style Manual? Also, you might consult the style manual of any professional organization governing the area of study--such as the MLA (Modern Language Association) Style Manual.

What are of study is this being done for?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:51 pm
I have an MLA and APA reference book, but didn't find any info specific to what I was looking for.

The area of study is microbiology/pathology with the specific book focusing on Biomedical reports.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:52 pm
We used the APA in my master's program. I found the book to be confusing. Have you looked at their online website?

Can you list the book here?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
Usually, if you are supposed to follow specific criteria (such as MLA or APA), you are told as much in your class. Failing that, i'd rely on The Chicago Style Manual, although i don't have a copy personally, and can't say to a certainty that it deals with the subject. I believe i am correct, but i wouldn't bet your grade on it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:01 pm
The name of the book is Emerging Infections edited by Richard M. Krause

No specific style is required and the teacher is pretty laid back so my grade isn't on the line. I just like to do things correctly... just in case.

Thanks for the help Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:02 pm
You betcha, Boss . . . and i highly approve your attitude, as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:04 pm
If your teacher is laid back and no style is recommended, then you're all set!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:06 pm
No, I'm Set . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, I'm Set . . . sheesh . . .

<grin>
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:10 pm
God bless laid back teachers... makes life a little less stressful.

On another note... I must have been gone for awhile because littlek is a Guru in Training now!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:10 am
Hmmm.... ya know, I was before, once, I think.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Citations
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:45:48