On A2K are you a Name or a Title?

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:48 am
Just an observation but it seems to me that on forums such as A2K some people present as Name (who they are) and some people present as Titles (what they are). When a person presents as a title, the attention is directed towards a past that they use to define themselves such as conservative, liberal, christian, atheist, artist, farmer, urbanite, naturalist, metaphysian, logician etc. Others seem to present as a Name, the attention is on a less defined future in which others have less expectation of what is expected. presentation by name tends to minimize scripts and opens up possibilties. Titles seem to be abstractions that limit interaction to scripts and roles where names seem to delimit expectations providing for surprise that is less finite and bounded. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,401 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:51 am
Thinking.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
Does it matter - so I'm a title - Jock so to speak? or was right? Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:03 am
I'm an 'it'.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:19 am
Dys
So which is "Dyslexia"? :wink:

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:31 am
I am age, I am knowledge.
I am Who, What, Why, Where & Whatever I choose, depending on how I feel about any given situation or topic. But rarely serious.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:37 am
I think Piffka is an extremely serious title, don't you?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:31 pm
This is what I put in my profile, which says it all:

"Didn't like this feature on Abuzz and don't like it now. Folks will get to know me in time, based on my presence here. Basically, I am a very curious soul - a naturalist, horticulturist, jack of all trades and master of none - garden variety nut case."

So sumac is a name, and there are times when I am similarly vague.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
After serious consideration, I believe I am a name.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:46 pm
I've been trying to figure this one out.

Can someone over a certain number of posts avoid being a title? Our personalities and tendencies come out as an aggregate of our posts, and even "he is always unpredictable" is another definition.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:48 pm
ehBeth - Her word associations don't make sense.

I think that's my official definition.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:49 pm
I am a voice in the wilderness.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:18 pm
dyslexia is a condition.

cjhsa is a storm cloud in a cubicle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:11 pm
Patiodog - you're back!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
I am a woman who tries to get whatever she wants, has sex on her mind much of the time, is welcoming and ho hum......competitive (I'm told I should be ashamed of this one, but really I think it's a part of the human condition and.....well........ ok, I have more of it than some, I try to be aware and control it but that part [the trying to control it part] isn't included in my name, is it? hummmm.....that must be something a person has to discover about me and.........ok, I make it hard for people to discover it...but that's me and it's in my name too) And it's also the name of my maternal grandmother whom I never met. But what's not in the name is all the other stuff that isn't discernable from the name....but of course this is what I think is in my name, and others may see something else and have other expectations for me.

I think, so far, I agree Dys, a name leaves more to the discovery process and a title is a label that may limit discovery......maybe.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:36 pm
my allias explains only 1 of the many things I am in life not limiting interaction whatsoever Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:54 pm
Er...a name I think - I can't think of too many titles here off the top of my head....the Bunny thing is a bit odd though, don't you think?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:59 pm
You really think so, Dr. Bunny?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:04 pm
As my friends point out, Equus is Suuqe ("sucky") spelled backwards. That is, my former friends....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
I do have a title, but I chose to refrain from using it here, however, if you feel the need to call me by such.... I am Gustav Ratzenhofer Lord of the Swamp and King of the Ages.

Most people just call me Gus.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » On A2K are you a Name or a Title?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:21:32