Whatever happened to your typewriter?

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:39 am
I still have my electric IBM. I use it once in a great while to type FORMS from places like the PA Fish and Boat Commission and the Bureau of Solid Waste where they dont put their forms on line except as PDF's duhhh.

I keep it in a credenzaa bottom and we pull it out about once a year.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:22 am
ossobuco wrote:
Nitpicking.. isn't legal sized the same as 8 1/2 x 14? It is in my mind, anyway.

Whatever (a relatively recent word usage gone wild), I like those yellow legal pads.

Still nitpicking. Ive seen legal pads everywhere from 8 1/2 X 11 to 8 1/2 X 14.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:37 am
Several years ago I bought a baby blue, electric Smith-Corona, simply to see how the sound and feel would influence my writing. It was fun, for a while. Somehow I mentioned this to my girlfriend, who then wistfully wished for a typewriter.

Not long after, I wandered into an amazing antique store in my neighborhood. As I was walking out, the clerk asked if I had been looking for anything in particular, and I said, "typewriters," and he said there was an old Royal in very good shape being cleaned up and that I should return in a week.

A week later, I stood at the counter testing the vintage Royal Portable, like the one pictured below, though black and in A-/B+ condition.

http://www.mytypewriter.com/ProductImages/RO_Port_early30s_Green_M.jpg

Clearly it was a beautiful machine, particularly the action on the keys and the loud smack they made. I took it for $80.

That week I explored internet sites--like this one--and via serial number learned that my machine was made in 1930. Hemmingway wrote on a Royal Portable like this model. Then, through another site, I found a local repair shop, just to make sure the RP was in top shape.

There was no one at the counter. Ancient and goofy-looking machines were piled recklessly on shelves. Finally an old Polish man, arms streaked with black ink, came out from a back room. He gestured for me to open my case and show him the machine. He tested it: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy river," and grunted his approval.

"Where did you get this?"

"The antique store on Broadway. For $80."

"That's a very good deal. See this machine? It was made the same year. I can sell it for $350. You could make a lot of money."

"Well, I'm giving it to someone who will put it to good use."

He looked at me as if I were batshit crazy. "You're giving this to a girl?"
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:50 am
Gargamel wrote:
He tested it: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy river," and grunted his approval.

How did he know whether or not the "s" key was functional?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:03 am
flyboy804 wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
He tested it: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy river," and grunted his approval.

How did he know whether or not the "s" key was functional?

The letter "s" does not exist in Poland. But at least you're paying attention.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
really? what about Jagshemash? Oh wait, that's Kazakhstani.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
Also, they do not recognize kiwi as a fruit.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
for what it's worth, legal computer paper size is 8"x14"...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
and your head is up your Koolaid Butt. Done F**k widda Polaks CAPEESH?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 01:43 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Nitpicking.. isn't legal sized the same as 8 1/2 x 14? It is in my mind, anyway.

Whatever (a relatively recent word usage gone wild), I like those yellow legal pads.

A legal pad is 8 1/2 X 14. If you've got a pad that's 8 1/2 by 11, it's a pad, but it ain't legal.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:27 pm
Roberta wrote:
flyboy804 wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

A legal pad is 8 1/2 X 14. If you've got a pad that's 8 1/2 by 11, it's a pad, but it ain't legal.

That't because attorneys rat law have always got three inches more of crap to say regarding the facts that 1) you have no case and 2)the $400 billing hour still applies.

Joe(please speak Kazakhstani to me, it'd mean so much)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
Those legal eagles have to pay for the legal-sized manila folders..

lest there be thrillas in Manila...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:40:17