Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 07:48 am
Last night my youngest cub and I were sitting in front of the tv channel surfing which is rare enough an occurrence, the tv part I mean, and we stopped at some God Awful blood bath of a war movie, Hamburger Hill it was.

First my boy said "You know Dad, this war stuff is totally pointless. These guys are killing each other over a muddy hill they'd never want in the first place." I concurred and explained to him that it was not their decision that a handful of men who didn't have to do the work always sent others to do this kind of fighting.

He mulled that one over and said "Dad Bush didn't fight in any wars right?"
I answered that he was correct, Bush joined the National Guard to avoid having to go overseas in the vietnam war, and that the Vice President didn't even do that and has stated in public that he had other priorities. To be fair, I also told him that I took every measure possible to avoid going short of doing something illegal and that I was a war protester, but the difference is I am still anti war.

A couple of minutes passed and a few more choice war scenes went by on the screen and my cub said "Dad, was it really this awful with people getting blown to bits and dying in the mud?" I told him yes it was an everyday occurence in war. "He thought that over and said "Maybe if Bush and his friends had had to be in a real war they wouldn't be so anxious to send other people today, because all that really happens is that lots of people die and they're wrecking the land they're fighting for. What's the point in that?" I was very proud of cub Seth at that moment. Smile

Maybe there should be an advisory panel of 12 year olds in Washington.

My cub reinforces what I have always said and that is in the end, it's all just playground rules and a little common sense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 448 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:12 am
HOORAY! You're a very good dad, BPB. That's exactly what we need...more kids that see war as futile.

My father, a WWII vet, saw a lot of active combat. He used to say that anyone ordering others into battle (including politicians) should be required to lead the charge. That would put a quick stop to it. He was right.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:22 am
I don't know how good a dad I am but I have some very high quality cubs at home......
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:09 am
i agree with yor son, people would be less anxious to go to war if they knew the reality first hand. also i think that bush would think differently about war if it were here on our land. most of america thinks because they can't see it it isn't there. if they could see it they wouldn't want to.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Out Of The Mouths Of Babes
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:27:39