Writing to your neighbor

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:36 pm
We have a neighbor in this little circle that insists on playing his radio at really high volumes.
He will go outside to turn on his radio, so that he can hear it in his apt.

Sometimes, he plays his radio to 12 - 1 am.

I have called police before and gave them a noise complaint.
They were here in seconds and he turned it off.

A few days later, he turns it back on again.

These are one of those 'kid radios' where they put a really loud system in a crappy car? You know the kind I am talking about?

One of those..

Anyway, I want to write him a letter and ask him to stop.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may not know how loud that is to the apartments around here.
Many other people have complained about him as well, but are afraid to speak up because they do not want retaliation. So I figure an anonymous letter may help.

I want to ask him to stop playing his radio so loud.
I want him to also stop playing it at odd hours of the night.
I want to say something like " After 9:00 pm I will call the police for a noise complaint"
Would 9pm be too early? Maybe I could say 10:pm?

His radio is so loud, it vibrates our windows.
You can hear him all over the block and then some.

Would I be crossing a line by doing this?

is it rude?

I am not going to include my name or any of the other neighbors names or addresses in it.. but I am going to say that there are several people around here that feel the same way and would like him to stop.

He is the only one who plays his radio like this. Everyone else.. even the other kids who have loud stereos turn theirs off, or down when they come home. I feel his behavior is arrogant and very rude.

how should I write this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 601 • Replies: 17
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:42 pm
Dear Neighbor, lose the radio or your life.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm
>snort
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
That's a good one, gustav!

shewolf, my guess is, you're wasting your time. He knows it's loud and
he knows that he's disruptive. Just call the police EVERY time it's past
11 pm. After the police has been to his place numerous times, they will
take care of him - either fine him or make him appear in court.

Could you contact the landlord of this guy? If yes, write a letter to him/her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:50 pm
what does your municipal noise bylaw allow for?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 12:53 pm
I dont know.

That is a good question, I will look it up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 01:20 pm
Anonymous letters are always tacky and breed ill will.

Be willing to sign your name--and perhaps collect signatures--or drop the idea.

Rather than a letter, go over and comment on the quality of his stereo system and mention that you have trouble appreciating this after 10 pm.

My guess is the creep doesn't think he's disturbing the neighbors. He thinks he's putting one over on the fun-hating fuzz.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 01:23 pm
Noddy wrote:
He thinks he's putting one over on the fun-hating fuzz.

That sounds so un_Noddy like. Fuzz?

This from the dominion lady?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 01:50 pm
I vote for repeatedly reporting him to the police, until they take action, which they will.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:16 pm
I would go talk to them, but I do not speak spanish.

Part of the reason behind the letter is that I do not think that they speak english very well, and my spanish is so bad, I can not even construct a sentence with the word radio in it..

I know some of their friends speak english, and I am -hoping- someone would translate it for them .

I believe what they are doing is much more rude and arrogant then a letter, but I see the point. I dont want any anger, resentment , or anything else.. .. I just want him to shut up. To stop trying to gain attention by playing his radio so loud and just be more respectful . None of us can help the fact that we all have to live so close together, but I think it unfair that his need to show off, and his overpowering arrogance is causing so much discomfort with everyone else.

I think I will stick with calling the police.

I still have not found the law about noise pollution and the rules for loud radios in the city of Austin yet. Before I make another call, I want to find that to make sure I wont be wasting my breath with the police either..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:19 pm
shewolf wrote:
I would go talk to them, but I do not speak spanish.

If chsha were here, he would say, "A 357 speaks all languages."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
Check this out, shewolf.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/austin.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
good find, maxisoneinamillion!

Quote:
(C) It shall be unlawful for any person, between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. the following morning, in either a public or private place or house in the city, to create, make or cause to be made upon musical instruments, horns or bugles, or by any other means, any loud noise which is reasonably calculated to disturb others in the vicinity of any such public or private place or house.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
Thank you ! Smile

10:30 cut off it is..
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
Don't sign the letter don't talk to him It could start a fued. Just keep calling the police. It will take awhile but it will work. Call them everytime and try and get atleast one other person to call at the same time so they get two complaints from different places at the same time.

We use to have parties everynight after awhile the cops started to get pissed at us and gave us a real warning because they got tired of getting calls and having to come over. If only one person calls then we could say that that person is just an as$hole but if two people called we were sunk. It is a process but it works in the end. Don't let them know who you are. If they don't respect their neigbors then they probably don't care about anything and will retaliate.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:38 pm
So what'd you do, shewolf?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:43 pm
Nothing yet

They have been quiet for a little while.

Hubby and I are considering moving though.

2 months from now, we will be done paying on our car.
Thats 350.00 that we can keep.

If I send 250.00 to the savings account every month, and use 100.00 to add to our rent budget, we could move out of here and "move on up " a bit to where I am not surrounded by this junk..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:18 pm
Sounds like a plan. It's horrible having inconsiderate neighbours, isn't it? I'm glad he's stopped but I bet come the great weather, he'll be at it again.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Writing to your neighbor
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 06:25:56