Should I buy this particular pair of shoes?

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:01 pm
I received a gift card for Amazon for Christmas and have decided on this particular shoe...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41214FJKMAL._SS350_.jpg

The price worked out to the price of the gift certificate and the shoe looks like it might be comfortable (actually there will be two shoes) so I figure I might as well make the purchase/

Anyone familiar with this brand of shoe? Should I take the plunge. Or should I just buy some bird seed?

I await your replies.

Oh, by the way, the shoe is a Dr. Martens Unisex 4 Eye 2 D Ring Padded Collar Shoe. You may look at it in more detail here.

One small concern I have: the shoe used to be made in Germany (I believe) but is now made in China. Wouldn't it be just my luck if Young Liat was working on that particular line and saw the work order that said, "Make for Gustav Ratzenhofer, USA"

Young Liat would rub his hands with glee and prepare to sabotage the shoes as a method to extract his revenge on me for all the grief I have given him over the years.

Oh, well, it's a chance I must take -- we live in a global community.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,198 • Replies: 24
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:07 pm
S'okay if Dr. Martens will fit your feet. Their last and those of several other companies, like Rockport, are such that by the time I get a small enough shoe to fit my toes and instep, the heels fit like a pair of shower shoes.

Only worry about Young Liat if they are made in Korea.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:08 pm
So, that's a negative, roger?

(And thanks for erasing my concerns about Young Liat's potential tomfoolery)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:09 pm
No advice on the shoes, but envisionin' him workin on yer order.... Shocked
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:09 pm
I think the thick cushioned insoles are a good feature. Good insoles are very underrated.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:10 pm
I guess I can return the Jimmy Choo stilettos I bought you if you're going to get those.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think the thick cushioned insoles are a good feature. Good insoles are very underrated.

How about the full grain grizzly leather upper? I like that feature.

Another thing I like is the fact that they have a "manmade sole". I was worried that a couple giraffes or maybe an elk would be involved in the sole-making process.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:14 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I guess I can return the Jimmy Choo stilettos I bought you if you're going to get those.

Different applications for different occasions. Keep them. Send them.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:17 pm
Aw heck! For a just a second there I thought you got a gift card for an Amazon, and I couldn't wait to see where that was going....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:24 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
kickycan wrote:

How about the full grain grizzly leather upper? I like that feature.

Another thing I like is the fact that they have a "manmade sole". I was worried that a couple giraffes or maybe an elk would be involved in the sole-making process.

I am also a big fan of grizzly leather. I didn't even know they used grizzly bears to make shoes.

And yes, you certainly don't want any animal riff-raff working on your soles. They don't even have opposable thumbs, for crying out loud! Of course, my cousin Gordie got his thumbs accidentally sliced off in a meat grinder while trying to make his own possum sausage, and he was able to work productively as a toll booth collector for many long years after that.

But I digress.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:26 pm
Great dike shoes Gus Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:29 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Great dike shoes Gus Very Happy

That's an interesting angle. Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:26 pm
Yet another angle...Doc Martens are shoes for collar-popping, hipster douchebags.

Go for it!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
So, that's a negative, roger?

(And thanks for erasing my concerns about Young Liat's potential tomfoolery)

No, but I would try on something under the same brand at a local store before ordering. You've got to figure the time spend repackaging and mailing the things if you have to return them.

If you're okay with Rockport, and the Ecco brands, they will probably fit.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:38 pm
I think they're just made for gustav! Shoes like this, practically scream
gustav! Don't be so indecisive!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:41 pm
I can't wear any of those, including ecco, but especially doc martens. Osso collapses without not too soft cushioning, arch support, hurts her nose, screams at Gus, It's all your fault!!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:48 pm
Wait a minute: osso, gustav wanted to buy those shoes for you?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:41 pm
Well, I hope so. I don't think those yuppie shoes would work too well in the swamp, Gus. You need hip boots.

Here, you can borrow mine.

http://www.viking-rubber.dk/pics/model/big/1707-1-3.jpg

I keep 'em for wading through threads like this.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:12 pm
Dr. Martens Ewesex 4 Eye 2 D Ring Padded Collar Shoe

Those are definitely the shoes for you Gus.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:22 pm
Nah, CJ, but he should walk around in them for a bit before purchase of whatever sort.

Eweshoes???????
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I buy this particular pair of shoes?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:01:37