irregardless

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
I believe I may have every single candidate us the word"Irregardless" in the debate last night. Our best and finest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 479 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:28 pm
Geez, really? What 'loosers'...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:50 pm
Re: irregardless
dyslexia wrote:
every single candidate us the word

Only in the US, I bet...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:23 pm
According to the transcripts that form of the word was not used by any of them at any time during the debate. Granted, the level of grammar usage was not at a scholarly level at all times by any of them.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=4092530

Democrat Debate transcript shows that any form of the word regard was used only once the entire night.

OBAMA: ... is that, regardless of what the Republican candidates are talking about, I think that there are a whole host of Republicans ...

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=4091645

Republican Debate transcripts show the following four uses of any form of the word "regard"

ROMNEY: But let's step back with regards to the president.

ROMNEY: ...On the same day the president announced the surge, I also, having spoken that day with Fred Kagan, who's one of the brilliant theorists in this regard, ...

ROMNEY: ... But with regards to those already here, it is simply not right and unfair to say they're going to all get to stay, ...

THOMPSON: ... I mean, it's essentially a national security issue, as well as an issue of fairness, as well as a social issue with regard to what states and communities have to face nowadays, ...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:26 pm
Irregardless of the transcript, I believe Dys.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:34 pm
Well, I never us the word, irregardless of the circumstance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:09 pm
To think, they will have a finger on the nookyular button.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:17 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

ROMNEY: But let's step back with regards to the president.

ROMNEY: ... But with regards to those already here, it is simply not right and unfair to say they're going to all get to stay, ...

Is this person sending his best or making a reference?

I don't know which is worse. With regards to or irregardless.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:59 pm
Is irregardless even a word? How does it differ in meaning from regardless?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:01 pm
Maybe it's some secret society code word.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:10 pm
In regard to the word 'nuclear', I can understand people messing it up, since it is probably mispronounced more often in the United States than not. Even Jimmy Carter, who had some nuclear physics training if I remember correctly, 'nucularized' his way in speeches.

I think using 'looser' for loser vies for most common misspelling at a2k, but, again, understandable, because of the popularity of the misspelling.

Irregardless - I've never understood that, as it has been hammered as an example of nonono for at least my lifetime.

Well, hey, I don't care that much if the president has a spelling problem, or the occasional grammar problem: some of my brightest friends and associates do, and I scramble more than spelling, sometimes on purpose. I care if there is a thinking problem.

However, a major grammar problem can signal a thinking thicket, unless, of course, the person is not speaking in a first language.

I didn't listen to the debating, so I don't know re transcripts or Dys' ears, but I'll put my quarter on his ears.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:21 am
Edwards is the man. He's good. I vote for him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » irregardless
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:39:03