Tools!

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:51 am
The more people I know, the more I like my tools!

This thread is for tool-freaks. Have a nifty tool you like, or one you really want or questions needing answers.

Anything from PC based oscilloscopes to uncle Fritz's aging breaker bar to MIG / TIG welding; tool stories to tool humor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 602 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Francis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:25 am
I've a pleasure procurement tool, but I'm not sure it fits in this thread...
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:48 am
nineteen thirys version
I have some of my granmpas tools. They sure don't make them like that anymore. My flatblade screwdriver can be used also as a prybar, or a chisel.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:59 am
Skil 18V X-Drive Cordless Drill/Driver with On-Tool Laser - my Christmas present and it is fine! Very Happy

also a Dremmel -2 amp rotary kit...don't know what I would do without it
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:40 pm
Got myself a nice hacksaw recently. It has the neat feature of a rotatable blade with degree-wheel so I can cut metal on any angle without trying to reposition to hacksaw.

When working in a cramped area oftentimes you cannot put the hacksaw at the angle you want, so the rotatable blade with degree-wheel is pretty fine.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:12 pm
I love those kinds of tools...brilliant!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:09 pm
Does the laser in your Skil fire on-center with a drill bit in the chuck?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:13 pm
I have so many tools that I wouldn't know where to start. I love power tools and especially my collection of old wood planes. Quality is something that is conspicuous by it's absence nowadays.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
I got a few tools myself, but my two favorites are:

The BFH (a hammer)

And the BAP (a prybar, that once exploded my nose)

RH
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:39 pm
I worked with an old Irishman when I was an Apprentice, when he wanted the hammer he said "hand me the Persuader."
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:46 pm
Chumly wrote:
Does the laser in your Skil fire on-center with a drill bit in the chuck?

It's a removable laser - but I haven't used it yet - so I don't know - I will get back with you on that. I am used to my good ol' yellow DeWalt drill/driver - but I love the handle on this one - lets me have better pressure on it when drilling I think...being a girl - that's a good thing.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
Sure let me know! I have two good cordless drills but neither have laser and they both use NiCd batteries and not the niftier / newer NiMH batteries. One's a Dewalt one's a Milwaukee they both still kick-ass but the batteries are bigger and heavier.

Yours may use NiMH or may use NiCd I do not know. The handle is a nice touch, I'm mixed on the benefits as sometimes they help and sometime they get in the way. but hey you can always take it off if need be.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:04 pm
I love my Paslode propane nail gun. Its the finishing nail driver and for cabinet work I wouldnt have anyother .
I use some shaper blades for special moulding profiles for primitive looking cabinet faces.

I cuts my dovetails by hand thank you. Its a skill that when mastered makes all machine cut dovetails look like stamped out chinese crap.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:16 pm
How easy is it to set depth, and if your doing cabinetry what's it got over air? Nice on the dove tails, I don't do much wood finishing / wood millwork but I'd like to do more.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:26 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I have so many tools that I wouldn't know where to start. I love power tools and especially my collection of old wood planes. Quality is something that is conspicuous by it's absence nowadays.
If you're unhappy with new tools you might like:

Klein Tools
Ideal Tools

I have used these for 35 years, I still buy them today.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:42 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Those old wood planes must be priceless. I can't even affort the current production models offered by Lee Valley. They have lots of other good stuff, too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:46 pm
Yes, Roger....Lee Valley is here in Canada as well. They do have some pricey items.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
I have a laptop based OBD II scanner called the "Auterra OBD II scanner"

Why?

If you have a 1996 or newer vehicle, and the CEL stays on, it will require an OBD II scanner to turn the light off, and determine what's at fault.

http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/auterra/Auterra_Palm_Based_Scanner_Review.shtml

It's been a real benefit for my '02 Miata. I had to replace the O2 sensor twice and the ECU itself and clean the VVT sensor. If I had not had the scanner it would cost a fortune at the shop, as it was I pushed to have some of the parts payed for under a TSB emissions recall. I did the re & re myself with pretty basic shop tools and my trusty Auterra.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tools!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 01:24:46