My nine year old daughter still believes in Santa Claus

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:16 pm
Should I break the news to her that there's no such thing as Santa?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 22
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:19 pm
why now?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:02 pm
Let her find out for herself, but don't lie if she asks directly.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:08 pm
What do you mean there's no such thing as Santa?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm
Of course there is a Santa. I just saw him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:41 pm
You don't see him if you don't believe in him.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:48 pm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:20 am
Jeremiah--

Exactly what worried you about your daughter's belief in Santa? Are you worried about her being teased by her friends? Do you think she "believes" to please her parents?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:24 am
Re: My nine year old daughter still believes in Santa Claus
Jeremiah wrote:
Should I break the news to her that there's no such thing as Santa?

Why do that? I still believe in Santa! Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:28 am
tell her if you have to... but don't tell her there's no Easter Bunny....
0 Replies

Shawanga

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:30 am
I never was told about Santa, but I did believe in the tooth fairy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:51 am
Shawanga wrote:
I never was told about Santa, but I did believe in the tooth fairy.

Does the tooth fairy ever smile? Laughing
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Jeremiah--

Exactly what worried you about your daughter's belief in Santa? Are you worried about her being teased by her friends? Do you think she "believes" to please her parents?

Definately your first question is yes.

Maybe on your second question.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 05:01 pm
Shawanga, I hope she is not precocious and uses "Santa Claus" as a synomym for "sugar daddy." Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
Jeremiah--

If I were you, I'd leave some evidence that simply cannot be ignored and then talk about these "clues" with good humor and great detachment. Let her come to the conventional "adult" conclusions and then congratulate her on her good sense and her good heart.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:40 pm
my daughters (8 soon to be 9) and (7) still believe in Santa Claus.

I will not tell them otherwise.

I don't think it does them any harm to continue to believe. I do encourage this belief when they tell me their friends told them there is no such thing as Santa. I just say "didn't you see him come into town last night on his Sleigh?" And their belief remains undaunted.

They are aware that some presents come from family, and some come from Santa. My youngest even got a bit of coal this year.

I like it that way. Children lose innocence too fast these days as it is, I won't be the one to help rip it away.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
I volunteered with kids at an elementary school for years, and I never saw it get made into a big deal amongst them if someone still believed. It was of course a big topic of conversation among them for a few weeks a year, but no one really got hassled if they said they still believed... As a matter of fact, I pretty frequently saw some cute displays of concern among the non-believers to not spoil it for the ones who still believed. I wouldn't worry about it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:55 pm
We wont do the santa thing..

(sigh)

though I loved the idea as a kid. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:03 pm
onyxelle wrote:
my daughters (8 soon to be 9) and (7) still believe in Santa Claus.

I will not tell them otherwise.

I don't think it does them any harm to continue to believe. I do encourage this belief when they tell me their friends told them there is no such thing as Santa. I just say "didn't you see him come into town last night on his Sleigh?" And their belief remains undaunted.

They are aware that some presents come from family, and some come from Santa. My youngest even got a bit of coal this year.

I like it that way. Children lose innocence too fast these days as it is, I won't be the one to help rip it away.

These are my thoughts as well. I don't see any reason to worry about it at all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
Yep, I agree, especially with cyphercat.

I thought, when the season started, that my kid didn't actually believe in Santa but just enjoyed everything around the Santa story and so didn't want to make it stop by indicating that she thought it wasn't true. As the season went on, I became less sure of that. I just played along.

She's 7, not 9, but the chatter in her classroom is evidently that Santa is real. One kid had great cachet because Santa actually opened the door to his room and said "Merry Christmas, ho-ho-ho," before disappearing, one Christmas Eve. (A dad? Made up from whole cloth? Who knows.)

At any rate, we ended up doing the whole thing. Milk and cookies for Santa, plus she gave him a present since, and I quote (from the note she wrote for Santa):

"I think it is really nice that you have brote gifts to children all over the world, pore or rich. So I want to give you somthing... a pensil to wiete you list with."

She didn't know what she wanted for Christmas (from Santa or anyone) up until the last minute, then wrote a letter to Santa saying what she wanted on Thursday afternoon. I couldn't find it in local stores, ordered it from eBay, paid for rush shipping, but it didn't arrive on time. Drat. So I changed over another present to be from Santa, and he wrote that he didn't get her letter in time to find that specific Webkinz (that she wanted) but that he has an elf working on it. Put some effort into figuring out how to wrap it in paper she didn't recognize. (The gift I ordered was wrapped by sender, so I didn't buy any special Santa giftwrap.) Ended up cobbling something together from plain white paper I'd bought by the roll for something else, overlaid with some clear cellophane with shiny red dots that had been used as tissue in a gift bag but I'd saved. Barely enough. (Microscope.)

Anyway, the point is just that I went to some effort this year to keep the Santa thing going. I'll follow her cues.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My nine year old daughter still believes in Santa Claus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 05:31:41