Writing an Obituary for My Mother, "A Woman with Passion"

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:05 am
We found out this weekend that my mother has terminal cancer. Non- operable, and very advanced. It started as lung cancer, spread to her brain and blood, and she also has multiple tumors on her heart. She is only 66.

I am not here seeking condolences, I will grieve when she is gone. She has days to several weeks at this point. In her true Irish Catholic fashion, my mother has requested that we do not have a funeral for her, but a large party celebrating her life while she is still with us. My father and I are planning quite a party for her at our local winery complete with a jazz band on Friday.

Maybe too much information, but I wanted you to understand what a wonderful woman my mother is. We are trying to forego the "couragous battle with cancer" for her. But rather "died peacefully surrounded by family" in her obituary.

Writing is not my strong point, so if any of you have read, or can think of something clever to help me in writing her obituary it would be much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,402 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
Forget "clever." It's "heartfelt" that will mean the most.

Describe what kind of person she is, and how she has touched the lives of others. Describe what you will miss most about her. Talk to other people who love her, and use what they say, too. Aim for simple sincerity.

I wrote my mother's obituary ten years ago. One line stood out in people's memories, and many have since told me they will never forget the words. It described how we all felt. I wrote: "Her presence made life easier for everyone around her."

It wasn't glib, and it wasn't cliche'. It was the simple truth, told in love.

I'm so sorry for your impending loss, islandgirl.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
Hello islandgirl,

your mother seems to be a great lady indeed. I hope you'll have many
days left with her.

I am not much help, but perhaps you find some inspiration here
http://www.aardvarkarchie.com/quotes/death.htm
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:44 am
Hi islandgirl,

My uncle passed away about a year and a half ago. Both of his daughters said something at his funeral. And both told personal anecdotes, which was the best. They talked about how he interacted with his granddaughter, what it was like driving in a car with him, how he couldn't dance and how devoted he was to their mother.

Think of things like that, how your mother did something that was special to her, or even not so special, but more typical, to see what kind of a person she was, whether it was knitting, reading, working, cooking, exercising, singing, praying, talking, gardening, whatever. Those kinds of things are what people -- including you -- are going to really remember.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:28 pm
After a short eight week battle with cancer, my mother did pass away. Just a short note to all for a thank you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
My condolences, Islandgirl. How are you and your father holding up?

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how did the party and eulogy go?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:01 am
Islandgirl, my condolences to you and your family.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:50 am
All my sympathies for you, islandgirl, and I wish you all the strength
you need, to get through this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
Islandgirl--

Please accept my condolences.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:35 am
Thank You everyone.

My mother passed away peacefully in her sleep January 13th. We wrote a beautiful obituary commemorating what a beautiful woman she was. She was only 67.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 01:29 pm
Islandgirl--

Please accept my condolences.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Writing an Obituary for My Mother, "A Woman with Passion"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:24:25