THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING WORLD

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:51 pm
well, stop it you naughty boy - cease and desist!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:57 pm
My caint help it. See there I go'd agin.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:01 pm
Forbear foul ravisher, anti-bibliophilic swine!
Unhand the fair language, or thou diest, malaproper!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
Holy crap! You're an english-demon exorcist!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
That is one of my lesser talents, yes.....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:09 pm
Wuht? ooze nickers are innah twist? right. Lay off the medieval drivel, you aussies aven't tawlked dat way fer ages!

Tah!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:11 pm
'Twasn't mediaeval.

'Twas English renaissance - Ben Jonson in "Volpone" to be exact....well, not exactly exact - 'twas fiddled with....

What DO they teach them in these schools....wanders off, shaking ears....sadly...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:12 pm
And - I don't WEAR knickers.......

I wear cottontails....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:17 pm
Lookit, we mericans live in a country filled with Qikstops and Krispy Kreme Donuts (that's my favorite, all three words in the name are misspelled.) We wear our clothes phat and our children type some kind of code into phones while walking through shopping malls. Whr r U?

And we speak Texican, leastways sum of us due.

Gotta go.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:20 pm
My heart bleeds for you...we should start a fund....send spelling books...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:23 pm
Hortress is gonna exorcise us all!

Ooh, that sounds dirty....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:27 pm
Yup - youall got exorcise books?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:30 pm
Yeah, naughty books a plenty, that's why we can't read or spell....we just look at pics and drool...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:34 pm
ewwwwww......
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:42 pm
What's this, then, about some alleged 'Murrican inability to spell? If it weren't for the Yanks, English spelling would have gone to hell in an undecipherable (and unprintable) hand-basket quite a while ago. Seems to me American spelling makes at least some sense. Not much, I agree, but lookit what we had to start with. Frenchified spellings for simple words e.g. check and center. Insertion of totally unnecessary vowels in words e.g. flavor, favor, humor etc. And if anyone can explain to me how 'gaol' can possibly be pronounced as 'jail,' I'll be happy to explain why 'ghoti' really spells 'fish.'
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:48 pm
Arrrr, go get a smeggin' avatar why don't ya...?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:56 pm
Awww, did I ruffle da bunny's fur?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:40 am
nah - it tickled...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 07:43 am
In today's Chicago Tribune, Nathan Bierma reports about an interesting book:

Quote:
Endings: John Algeo's extensive new book "British or American English? A Handbook of Word and Grammar Patterns" (Cambridge University Press, $34.99) is notable for what it doesn't cover. Most books on British and American English -- most recently last year's "Divided by a Common Language: A Guide to British and American English" by Christopher Davies (Houghton Mifflin, $14.95) -- look mostly at vocabulary. Algeo's study, which he says was more than 40 years in the making, focuses on sentence structure.

When a British English speaker says, "It was told me in confidence" (instead of "told to me in confidence"), or "The class was excused homework" (instead of "from homework'), it shows a British difference in what linguists call the "transitivity" of verbs. British English also has different rules for subject-verb agreement with "collective nouns," as Algeo shows in sentences such as "The club were in a Catch-22 position" and "Management do not accept responsibility ..."

Yet, Algeo concludes, "Few of the grammatical differences between British and American are enough to cause confusion, and [few] are stable because the two varieties are constantly influencing each other."

(The other part of that report [link above] is very interesting, too, I think.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:44 pm
Hmmm. Thanx for the tip, Walter.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:14:31