Today is Veteran's Day

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:40 am
We would like to honor all Veterans, whatever nationality.

From the U.S.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/images_new/07poster.jpg

Olen
Tomkitten's Bob who died today
Stetanta
RealJohnBoy. (John of Virginia)
Roger
Dyslexia
Georgeob1
Seed

Any others from the U.S.

From other countries

Walter Hinteler

Any others?

One of my favorite poems in honor of today

In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 744 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:00 am
I'd like to add Snood to the list.

Also, Timber.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:03 am
Thanks, Noddy. Isn't C.I. a veteran?

My father
My brother
My husband
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:04 am
Re: Today is Veteran's Day
Letty wrote:

Tomkitten's Bob who died today

Oh no! This is sad news.

Happy Veterans Day, and thank you for your service.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:04 am
I am a veteran, but I was no hero.
I was just a combat medic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:09 am
Veteran all the same. Happy Veterans Day, Mysteryman.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:21 am
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:48 am
Let us add Anon, who became a good friend in spite of, shall we say, radically opposing views and means of expressing.

Yes, C.I. is in there, and so is fishin'.

I was never a veteran of anything special. Viet Nam era vet, with the hottest years spend in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Thanks, Letty. I got your email.
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:55 am
mysteryman wrote:
I am a veteran, but I was no hero.
I was just a combat medic.

Well, since you were a combat medic, you are a hero.

I'm a Vietnam veteran and retired infantryman (First Infantry Divison).

Combat medics are in fact heros!

We thank all you guys for what you do. Not only are you out there sharing the fear and misery but you guys attend to the needs of others as well.

Yes, I use the word "fear." I think that anyone who says he is not afraid during muzzle-to-muzzle confrontations -- is being less than truthful.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:04 pm
Thanks, Roger, for reminding us of Anon. I liked that man without knowing him. I didn't know about fishin'.

easyasabc, (love your screen name)Welcome to A2K and a salute to the Nam vets. I can't think of any war more horrible, and yes, fear is the worst of all. Somehow, those vets conquered it, however.

Also, a salute to Jimmy Carter who granted amnesty to those who fled to Canada.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:42 pm
repeating a post I made in 2003

Quote:
i agree with timber but i would like to add that i have seen several statements to the effect that we owe our freedom to the military, i say thats an error of logic. lets say the end result is a loaf of bread (freedom) would you say its the farmer that grows the wheat, the silo that stores the wheat, the miller that makes the flower, the trucker that takes the flower to the distributer, the baker that bakes the bread? no, its the combination of all that puts the bread on the table so that all may partake and each step along the way is an important as any other. the soldier may go off to war but he is no more the cause of freedom than the farmer that stays home and feeds him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:08 pm
This isn't about the military, dys. It is about the soldier who fought and died on the battlefield, or about the person who was willing to sacrifice his life for those he loved. You would do the same.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:41 pm
Letty wrote:

I still have that poem.
I printed it out and it is hanging on the wall in my office.
I read it everyday.

easyasabc
Quote:
Well, since you were a combat medic, you are a hero.

I'm a Vietnam veteran and retired infantryman (First Infantry Divison).

Combat medics are in fact heros!

We thank all you guys for what you do. Not only are you out there sharing the fear and misery but you guys attend to the needs of others as well.

Yes, I use the word "fear." I think that anyone who says he is not afraid during muzzle-to-muzzle confrontations -- is being less than truthful.

I was a navy corpsman, assigned to the marines as a combat corpsman.
The last place I served, and where I was wounded, was a town named Nassiriyah in Iraq.
My wounds cost me my career, after 25 years in Uniform.

While I hate being retired, I am very proud of my wounds, because of what I was doing when I was hit.
I was trying to save a woman and her child that had been caught on a bridge in the crossfire between us and the Iraqi's.
It also got 2 marines wounded in the atempt.

As for fear, I will 100% agree with you about fear and anyone saying they werent scared, because if someone isnt scared they are a danger to themselves and their units.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:14 pm
Veterans Day.
My older brother was drafted. They liked using him for carpentry here in Texas; therefore they did not send him to Vietnam.

My next in line (age-wise) brother felt that he did not belong in Vietnam. After boot camp, he deserted. He spent three months in Leavenworth.

Another brother saw duty on a nuclear sub. He did not see action, and was released early, due to personality conflicts that had him going AWOL.

I enlisted before ever knowing Vietnam was a country. The Cuban Missile Crisis happened during my term. In my last year aboard the destroyer, USS McKean, we became increasingly aware of the conflict. War service was wholly voluntary. A few months after the voluntary nature of it was rescinded, I was released and sent home. I considered re-enlisting to the army, but became aware of the fundamental flaw in pursuing the war in time to instead become a protestor. I am equally proud of my military service and my activities for the Peace Movement. I am also proud of my brothers.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:47 pm
edgar, that is exactly the way that I feel. Just because we are for peace doesn't mean that we don't respect our soldiers, drafted or not.

This war in Iraq, is a politician's war, but we feel for those who are there in the desert.

I am given to understand that my brother and my first cousin enlisted. He died in the Philippines from cerebral malaria, and my first cousin died when the hospital tent was bombed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Today is Veteran's Day
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:02:10