Cinder-eeeeela, dressed in yeeeeela'

squinney

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 12:02 pm
eoe wrote:
Hmmmm, did many white girls jump double-dutch?

Yes. We only had one black girl at our school. Would have been difficult for her to do alone.

Oh, and marbles. Remember marbles? I usually had more recess fun on the cement pad playing marbles, tether ball, jump rope and jacks than playing on the built in playground equipment provided.

Marbles was usually considered more of a boy game even in this illistration of a marbles game. But, we girls played,too.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
I myself also have the Everlast jumprope. Most boxers prefer heavy cable ropes - they spin faster, but also hurt more if you whack yourself with it. I myself go for leather ropes, and I oil them down to make them nice and smooth and heavier.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
eoe....everyone knows White Girls Can't Jump.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:06 pm
Chai wrote:
eoe....everyone knows White Girls Can't Jump.

Laughing

I went to an integrated high school, almost 50-50 black/white when I started, and only ONE white girl in my gym class could jump double dutch. Because of that, I've always thought that style of jump rope was cultural.

Thanks for setting me straight. Again, we learn something new every day.

cypher, out of all the rhymes here, those are the two that i remember most.
fudge, fudge, fudge boom boom boom
call the judge, boom, boom, boom...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:22 pm
Mother, Mother, I am sick.
Send for the doctor, quick, quick, quick.
Doctor, Doctor, shall I die?
Yes, my dear, and so must I.

How many carriages will I have?

One, two, three, four...

That's a little pre-penicillin ditty.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:55 am
My daughter frequently jump ropes in school - individually, as a group and double dutch. They also hula hoop - my daughter is so good now that she simply stands there like she is bored - they have contests with each other on who can hula the longest. And the boys participate in jump rope and hula hoop too.

They also have that thing (not sure what it is called) - goes around your ankle and then a long rope with a big plastic ball or bell on the end. You swing it and then move it with your ankle and jump over with the other foot. When my daughter got one from school from the treasure box, I proceeded to use it. She was very impressed with my capability. Can't hula very good any more.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:03 pm
I remember that ankle thing you speak of, Linkat. Didn't know that it existed still. We used to surround the wearer and we'd jump over the ball when it came around. Simple. And fun.
That's why there weren't alot of heavy kids back in the day. We jumped and twirled and ran and skipped all day long.
So, the boys participate in the jump rope games too? We have evolved!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
eoe wrote:
I remember that ankle thing you speak of, Linkat. Didn't know that it existed still. We used to surround the wearer and we'd jump over the ball when it came around. Simple. And fun.
That's why there weren't alot of heavy kids back in the day. We jumped and twirled and ran and skipped all day long.
So, the boys participate in the jump rope games too? We have evolved!

Yep and hula hoop - just imagine!

There is even a Disney movie called Jump In where a high school boy is involved in double dutch.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:38 pm
I was really hit with the whole gender thing today....

I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, making curtains mostly -- our new house has a lot of windows. Mo wanted to sew too.

Today I was at the fabric store and looked for some kind of kid's sewing kit. The most "masculine" kit they had was butterflies.

Nevertheless, he's having fun with it but he refused to use the pink plastic needle insisting instead on a heavy duty upholstry needle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:17 pm
I know boys/men have a lot of advantages but I have to say that's one nice thing about being a girl. Sozlet can do butterfly needlecraft or dino needlecraft, jump rope or kickball, and nobody bats an eyelash (most think she's cool for wanting to do the "boy" stuff).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:31 pm
Those ropes around the ankle and the bell at the end?

We used to call them footsies. I loved 'em.

Oh yeah! Miss Mary Mack...I remember that one, but only in the clapping game.

Isn't that weird how 2 little girls, just passing each other, would all of a sudden turn toward each other and start a clapping game?

Like how the girls who a going to try out for cheerleading all suddenly develope these Tourette types movements.

I think it's funny when your standing in line somewhere, and a girl nearby, totally oblivious to the world, starts doing mini-kicks and windmills, muttering under her breath about the mighty wolverines.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:42 pm
I've seen that too. In the grocery store. It's a hoot. One of my best friends, a former cheerleading squad capt. would break out into a step while waiting in line at Burger King or the movies. It was a totally absentminded thing and amusing as all hell.
Once a cheerleader...always a cheerleader. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
sozobe wrote:
I know boys/men have a lot of advantages but I have to say that's one nice thing about being a girl. Sozlet can do butterfly needlecraft or dino needlecraft, jump rope or kickball, and nobody bats an eyelash (most think she's cool for wanting to do the "boy" stuff).

That's worthy of it's own thread.... hmmm... where to put it....?

We don't see many of those cheerleader girls up here but I do recall seeing it when I lived in Texas and Oklahoma. It's hilarious. Is it a southern thing? Where are you, eoe?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:51 pm
This was in Chicago. Long after we'd graduated from high school and even college. I don't know if she still does it but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that she does.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:44:33