edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 07:08 pm
The only Capote book I read, Breakfast at Tiffany's, did nothing for me. I felt he could write well, but the characters in the story missed the mark. I felt like one who is promised something, but nothing was delivered. I didn't want to be further disappointed, so didn't give him another chance.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:05 pm
Daresay Capote's real success was screenplays. The only book that he wrote that had any real impact was "In Cold Blood." He was filled with a morbid fascination for the killers. It sort of pushed my bible belt buttons. I think that by the time I finished it I was filled with more revulsion for Capote than I had for the killers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:01 pm
Kerouac I could identify with. If he had not been so much an alcoholic . . . My favorite by him is Desolation Angels.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:42 pm
Ah, but the question is "had he not been a raging alcoholic would he have produced the work that he did?" The passion of the grape is not always counter-productive. Would he have been hanging out in a junkyard with Ginsberg sober?

I met one of his ex-girlsfriends, who was the model for the female protagonist for the Subterrians. She was an absolute wild woman. Not someone you would take home to meet mother.

Edgar. its Karma, all Karma.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 12:40 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Kerouac I could identify with. If he had not been so much an alcoholic . . . My favorite by him is Desolation Angels.

I don't knock him for his drinking - Just bemoaning that it cut his life short, and his creative life also.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:13 pm
The Merry One and I just got back from PTown, we took advantage of the long weekend. I like PTown best in the winter when it becomes a normal town.

We took a walk through the sand dumes between Race Point and Herring Cove. Eugene O'Neil used to summer there. The house he stayed in was in the the sand dumes. I used to walk up and sit on a portion of the roof that was still exposed. I looked for it the other day, but it has been completely devoured by the dumes. Nothing can withstand the shifting sands.

We walked down Commercial Street past Norman Mailer's house feeling the sadness that the passion of a great literary voice had been taken from us. There was a viewing yesterday, maybe 200 people. Family and friends. There will be a memorial in NYC later.

The Merry One bought me a book in Provincetown, it was a collection of Ginsburg's poetry. I'll post some of his stuff later on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
I liked Ginsburg from about my 18th year, and have never tired of him. I was rooting for him to successfully levitate the Pentagon.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:13 pm
I like his sense of humor

THOSE TWO

That tree said
I don't like that white car under me,
it smells gasoline
That other tree next to it said
O you're always complaining
you're a neurotic
you can tell by the way you're bent over

Ginsberg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:52 pm
I think Ginsburg and Walt Whitman make perfect book ends.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 07:29 pm
Ha, the Merry one agrees with you totally.

He laughed and said "They were both gay and both were innovators."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:47 am
Before I knew who Ginsburg was, I read about him in Kerouac. I suppose it was On the Road. He described Ginsburg with his finger in some woman's navel. As a non precocious teen, I found the image hard to reconcile with Ginsburg's sexual orientation. Of course, now I'm jaded and surprised by nothing.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm
Well Edgar, it was the beat generation and bi-sexuality was the in-thing. To be hip was to swing both ways. He wrote:

Pussy Blues
(for Anne Waldman) his guru

You said you got to go home & feed your pussycat
When I ast you to stay here tonight Where's your pussy at?

Keep your pussy here Try our hot cat food
Yeah lotsa cats around here & they's all half nude
Going home alone do your pussy no good

Hey its 4th of July Say it's your U.S. birthday
Yeah stay out all night National Holiday
Tiger on your fence Don't let him get away

Pussy pussy come home I'm gonna feed you fish
Yeah pussy pussy here come your big red dish
I'll tickle your belly All the eats you wish

Hey there pussy Cantcha catch my mouse
Hey please pussy Play with my white mouse
You can stay all night You can clean my house

(Boulder, Independence Day 1976, 1 a.m.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:45 pm
Muchly reminds me of Mrs Slocum's pussy, on Are You Being Served? (BBC TV show).
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 10:12 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Muchly reminds me of Mrs Slocum's pussy, on Are You Being Served? (BBC TV show).

Dear Mrs. Slocum. Are You Being Served was my favorite sitcom. Only the English could be that outrageous and get away with it. Had it been a US sitcom, the same material would have come across like a lead balloon.

The only good US white sitcom ever produced, in my opinion, was "All in The Family. I adored Redd Foxx's"Sanford and Son", which was a take off on another English sitcom.

And I will always have a soft spot in my heart for "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."

Have a cool yule Edgar, I will be off on the big bird back to Paradise Monday if I don't get snowed in. Ciou
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:49 pm
Okey doke. Have a wonderful holiday.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 08:14 pm
I have quite a list of favorite sitcoms. All in the Family is among the top five.

There is a photograph of Ginsburg and Bob Dylan at Kerouac's grave. I have been searching for it.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I have quite a list of favorite sitcoms. All in the Family is among the top five.

There is a photograph of Ginsburg and Bob Dylan at Kerouac's grave. I have been searching for it.

You just raked up some more old memories for me. Stuff that I had forgotten. Two of them are just absolutely the best West Village graffiti that possibly can't be topped. Check my graffiti thread.

Be interested in seeing the picture of Ginsburg and Dylan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:00 pm
I can't get close to Kerouac without mentioning my favorite book by him: Desolation Angels. His experiences with the mouse, his solitary ruminations- even the poetry - very touching.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
I was at the Salvation Army store in Hilo this morning and I found a copy of Desolution Angels for 25 cents.

I've never read it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:52 pm
Ginsburg sings Hari Krishna on a Fugs record album. Can't remember which one - Tenderness Junction, perhaps.
0 Replies