How did yesterday's blackout affect you?

Paul

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 01:14 pm
For me, I had to close my business at 5:00 after 45 minutes in the dark. Then drive home (40 minutes) through traffic lights which are supposed to be treated as a 4 way stop....ya....right....tell the other jokers on the road that one....then I was ok....Bar-B-Q is all I do in the summer anyway........but I did miss the re-run of ER....DAMN!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 909 • Replies: 11
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 01:36 pm
I have done a thursday night karaoke show at the Holiday Inn that serves RDU airport for 11 years..... last night at the same time tv was reporting that the Bush white house was seeing to it that the airports were open and running in NY and other effected areas I was getting swamped with hundreds of yankees that couldn't fly out of RDU because there was no place for them to land. And you know, we get the news here in Mayberry. I guess everyone forgot to watch............ Razz Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:21 pm
Yankees is ok, long as they don't come to stay . . .

We lost our DSL sporadically for a while yesterday, and i believe this is because the regional center is near Cleveland. Otherwise, i was not fortunate enough to get an extra day off work.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:50 pm
Do listen to the accounts on NPR this afternoon -- from NY residents and others who had terrific adventures. Particularly nice was a bike ride around Manhattan, from park to park, and in each park a kind of impromptu block party was going on. Description also of riding through a completely black Times Square. Talk of the Nation. Second hour. Audio available later.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 03:02 pm
I was plagued with reading headlines about NYC's power outage, rather than the usual "Boston priest found to rape boy."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 03:57 pm
My TV wasn't working, same as last week,
but I thought about it some. I'll have to plug it in sometime.
It's a nice one and I'm kinda proud of it.

Other than that, the outage had no effect
except to inspire me to go for a walk, think about how beautiful
the world around us is, and realize how technology
can sometimes build a house of cards.

It made me grateful to be independent.

Gratitude is a nice attitude.
So it lightened my day a little and made me smile
imagining that more people might be grateful now.
I like that.

----------
Also, does adversity bring neighbors together? This could be a good thing.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 04:19 pm
What Blackout? The lights blinked several times around four o'clock here in eastern Connecticut and that was it. Did go out for ice cream in the evening.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 06:09 pm
Email from a friend:

Quote:
DON'T even get me started on this....

Too late!!

Let me recount my 7 hour journey home...

I'll start with my building. It's 4 something. I'm right above grand central and sadly the office is on the 25th floor. So when the a/c then the lights and everything else go out I'm thinking, "Oh boy this is going to be fun....NOT." Then, there's a woman in the elevator between floors screaming her lungs out as people try to help. I get ushered down the stairs which for the first 10 flights or so were fine. Then we hit the stairways with the broken lights that alternate with the working ones so my eyes never have time to adjust and see. I continue to trudge downard...wondering when I'll finally get to the Mcd's "meeting place" (per our office manager) a block away from the building.

At this point I have no idea what's going on, thinking that it's only my building or maybe the block. 20 floors down: my legs start wobbling from all the tromping down stairs and I feel SO glad I didn't wear heels. 25th floor down and what's this? Oh we've still got to go down more stairs and then up some to get out. End up in a grand central corridor near lexington....hobble to the mc donalds as i've pulled something in my leg more than it was before I got to work this morning. Office manager keeps us there till "everyone in the office meets here and is out of the building." Here's me looking at my cellphone (that doesn't work) thinking "it's getting awful close to when my express bus is supposed to be here," and wishing everyone would hurry up and get out of the building. Building is locked to reentry and everyone finally shows up.

Next I hobble to the bus stop three blocks away and see large clumps of people waiting for buses at 44th and 3rd. Which would be fine if every bus that made it that far wasn't full to the brim. Then someone who takes my bus decides it would be a good idea if we walked to the first stop, thereby gettin on the bus before it fills up. So I hobble to 38th street. Then we look at all the full queensbound buses and find out that the tunnels are closed. So then the new plan is to get up to 59th and take a local bus to queens. So the group separates.

I search for a pay phone because they're the only thing that works besides nextel, some sprint, and the blackberry system (none of which I have, damn you att. End up outside a wine shop where the owners are hawking their still cold wares "Buy cold wine now, cash only, there's no tv tonight, replace your drug of choice with a nice cold glass of wine...etc." Verison payphone works, none of the numbers I call do. Now I'm hot, still in the sweater I was wearing upstairs in the then cold office and pissed.

I wander about, going back to the express/local stop to see if I can catch a bus. All of them are full and nothing is moving except the pedestrians. Wander past this woman with a baby and a stroller and then witness her break down and cry in the middle of a sea of people (some kind apartment dwellers invited her up to calm herself, i think)

Stand there for a bit and decide, hell, I'm gonna walk (hobble) to 59th. It's about 6 something now and I haven't sat in a good two hours with the whole pulled ligament in my leg thing so I search out a seat. End up in this little park behind a large black building which I later discover is the helmsley hotel. The great thing they did is that they gave out free fruit and water and use of the bathroom to anyone who came in. I'm slightly allergic to apples but I went and had one anyway. Cool and fresh from the whatever they put it in to keep it crisp and stuff. Wonderful candles in the bathroom and courteous toilet paper sharers are a good thing.

It's around 7 and it's getting a little dark and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how I'm either going to get home or get up to my best friend's house on 87th and CPW. Both of these seem quite daunting. So I go in search of a payphone again as my cell was working for a split second and it showed I got a message. Then I wait behind this guy that thinks the payphone is his own personal reststop and check message. I walk back to third, searching for an open store to buy something in and avoiding the self appointed traffic directors. A few blocks up I spot a red bus. This is a VERY good thing as Triboro Coach supplies express buses to queens and most of them go somewhere near to where i can get home. So the bus door is open (more on that later) and I ask the first person inside what bus it is rattling off numbers (All the buses put on no passengers or not in service after a while) And the genius answers this bus goes to queens. So I calm myself a leetle bit and say yes, sir, I know but which one. After some more confused glances from the heat addled man someone else answers. So I walk up to the bus driver who's talking to another and ask him which one he was and if he'd seen one of my buses.

So I'm on the red bus...which has a/c and isn't too crowded cause some people decided to walk. Now the fun begins. for the next oh, 3-4 hours, we move half a block and then wait for 15 minutes. The bus driver opens the door and runs out to talk to the other guy each time cause there's nothing better to do. By midway or so lots of people were running off to see if they could find a bathroom. One of these people, a rarity i hope, was a back-of-the-bus driver. Now the left lane was moving faster than ours because all the exits are on the right side. But once over there it would be near impossible to get back where you need to be.BOTB driver guy doesn't care...every so often he'll scream out "Go left!" until the guy behind him (whose seat he stole) makes slapping him in the back of the head motions. The bus driver finally kicks him off saying "Did you pay? When you do you can tell me how to drive." (It's $4 one way and everyone was tired and cranky)

Anyway...people who have food share it and I ended up with an assortment of godiva chocolate, some cherries, crackers, mini cchip cookies and altoids(mine). No one wanted to drink anything since no places were letting people in to use the bathroom.

So we finally hit the bridge and things are going relatively smooth until we get to the queens side. More traffic, but at least there are subway shuttle buses that are running to help people out. The bus driver lets us off somewhere that is perfect to connect to the other bus I have to take and I hobble over. The bus wait doesn't take that long and I'm home. Now I get let into the building by the guard/doorman guy and into the now completely dark stairwell.(he lights the first 3 steps which blinds me for a bit after he leaves and I'm left in the darkness. So i walk up in the pitch black, senses completely out of wack and I can just hear my breathing and my heartbeat and everything so clearly as a poke my feet out to hit each step before i go up another one. Get up to the third floor (thank goodness, some women on the bus had to go up 22 or 10 in other buildings) and open the door. It's just as dark but at least I won't go hurtling down any stairs. Feel along the wall for the different doors and stay away from the elevator side till I get near my apartment. Ring the bell and tell my parents, hey, it's me and now I'm home and my cat's being cute and everything is all better.

It's about 11 and after a still cold mountain dew I shuffle off to bed in a very hot apartment.

Wake up around 6 and the power still isn't on. Everything pops on at about 8 and I figure I'd not go to work today since the building is still without power. So other than two bug bites and the feeling that I've run a marathon whilst 5 angry chefs were whacking my thighs with a meat tenderizer pointy side down, I'm pretty ok. And really really really really really glad I wasn't in the subway.

My legs and I are still in negotiation on whether they'll get back to work before the weekend is over.

0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 07:56 pm
CAME THE BLACKOUT . . .
Life had been unusually difficult here of late. Then, came the blackout. With a big generator purring away - and a backup generator, just in case - ah, the blessings, the blessings!!! We ARE thankful. Living CAN BE wonderful. Guess we needed a wakeup call. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 05:02 pm
Well naturally it didn't have too much of an effect on me as I'm in a different country after all.
However, it did toast the servers that my websites are hosted on, who were simultaneously getting attacked with a virus.
Then to try and sort the problem the server people pulled the drives and fitted the wrong ones back in there bringing down the rest of the rack and toasting all my data.

How utterly splendid.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 05:36 pm
My power was out untill 1:30 PM the next day. I didn't really care as I just read under flashlight, nithing important to do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 07:07 pm
it's been about 24 hours since our last rolling black-out. they're hopeful that bringing the streetcars and subways back online in the morning won't wobble the whole local system back down.

the neighbourliness that has been demonstrated has been great. the exhaustion i'm starting to feel now isn't so great. I think i'm coming down from the nervous energy that kept me going since Thursday afternoon. On the upside, the blisters on my feet seem to be taking care of themselves.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How did yesterday's blackout affect you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:42:22