• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,479 • Replies: 10
No top replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:30 am
I believe its religion vs. progress.

Hindus believe its a Ram Setu created by Lord Rama to reach Sri lanka. World Archeological group believes it to be a natual land connection between two lands India and Sri lanka (and hence calls it Adam's Bridge) and is not man-made and removing it to form a creek between 2 countries will allow easier and quicker access for ships and cargos just like they have in panama creek thus helping quick transport across countries and help in their porgress.

Indian government may not take a stand on this. But interestingly Sri lankans can (and they have in favor of forming the creek), as there arent those many Hindus there. But the project could be only undertaken by India as its quite huge.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:34 am
Canal.
or Channel.

not creek

Joe(this is fascinating)nation
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:43 am
sorry canal I meant.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:21 am
Sri Lanka/ India

Well, there is most certainly something there, but it looks to this untrained eye as if Sri Lanka was part of India sometime in the past, just like this island that I live on was once part of Brooklyn and Long Island.

Ramesvarem would lose it's ferry service if you built a channel between the mainland and Sri Lanka, but what would be gained??

Joe(Most Americans cannot find India on a map, but many of them can't find their own home state on a either... .)Nation
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:36 pm
Joe
It is the otherway round.
Infact Srilanka government fears about the revenue .
The fact is this.
This controversy about Rama( My name!) inconnection with modern trade development is rotten to the core.
The funny HINDU party makes much ado about nothing.
Rama is nothing to do with god_ if there is one.
In India there are umpteen gods inhindu religion.
The Adams bridge is the apt description of this episode.
But the fanatic fundamentalists Indian hindus will never accept rationality.
This is my view. and I was born in Hindu family
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:20 pm
The gods we worship are our own creations. Religions are manmade. One need not subscribe to any religion, if one is guided by one's conscience and commonsense. Without man, there is no god. Religion, it may be argued, is meant to satisfy our spiritual needs. But many who claim to be religious are quite materialistic in their thinking. It is not proper to block the economic prosperity of the nation in the name of religion.

S. Anbumani Selvam,

http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/22/stories/2007092255271201.htm

I wish a response from some xyz
who uphold the hindu fanatics views about Rama.( I mean the hindu party which iis called Advani's party=BJP)
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:34 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
I wish a response from some xyz
who uphold the hindu fanatics views about Rama.( I mean the hindu party which iis called Advani's party=BJP)

Incidentally this project was first mooted a hundred and fifty years ago by one Commander Taylor during the British occupation of India.

It had been known to all the governments since independence including BJP.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:50 am
Vinsan
Thanks for exposing the hypocracy
which is a favourite word in Indian politics.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:01 pm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:43 pm
I had explained my views about the subject.
I had not followed the final result .
Are there any A2K active participants who are well informed?
Accept my thanks in advance
Rama Fuchs
0 Replies