Question for a friend that just moved to England

mismi

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
Hello folks!

I have a friend that just moved to England. She is struggling a lot with the school system in her area. Her little girl is 5 years old and they do not have a place for her in the school closest to them. That is where her older brother goes. They say that her age group is full and they will pay for a taxi to take her to the next closest school. They had no idea how expensive having a car would be there so they have opted to walk and to use the bus when they have to.

They were advised that there should be an opening for their little girl but apparently when the time came there was one that was not going to go that ended up going but because they were in front of her they had preference...at least that is what I understand. So instead of spending so much money to ride the bus every day they decided to home school until the next year and they would try to send them both to the next school...though it would also tax their budget.

They just hated to have them at two different schools - logistically it would be difficult to do that. So now their neighbors are saying the powers that be are discussing taking legal action against them for home-schooling. It is not that they don't want to have the little girl in school - it has just been made so difficult and everyone they have spoken to and conferenced with have told them the same thing...she has to take a taxi to the next school...they just aren't willing to put this little girl in a taxi to go to school everyday and do not have the budget to do the bus or a taxi on their own plus having the kids at two different schools just seems to be to complicated.

Okay...so sorry for the huge explanation - I am sure all of that above could have been done more precisely - anyway...

My question is, can they take legal action against people who are not British citizens for homeschooling their kids? They are just there temporarily because of his job. I think they will be there for two years. Are there any other options? Who do they speak with to clarify the situation? The only way I speak to her is by instant messaging so I may be missing some facts here....I was just curious and knew some of you good folks either live there or have lived there and might shed some light on the subject.

Thanks so much...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 941 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 says that every parent of a child of school age has a duty to make sure that the child receives

"efficient full-time education suitable to his/her age, ability and aptitude and to any special educational needs he or she may have either by regular attendance at school or otherwise."

So, actually home schooling is allowed - but I'm not sure how procedure is where you friend lives.

UK Home Education Law

Besides that: legal actions can be taken against everything which is done unlawful, whereever you stay and for how long.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:31 am
I knew I could count on you Walter Hinteler...

Well..I know about legal action being taken if you have broken the law...just seemed a little extreme in the case of a 5 year old who is receiving schooling, even if homeschooling is not well liked there. Just curious if anyone knew any more specifics.

Thank you for the links. I will e-mail them to her so she can make sure she does what she is suppose to.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:53 am
Quote:
The LA will need to be satisfied that a child is receiving suitable education at home, and may ask to visit the family home to talk to the parent and child, and to look at examples of work. The LA will need to be satisfied that the parent is willing and able to provide a suitable education. At the initial meeting the nature and frequency of future contact should be agreed.

LA = local authority

Home educating is legal. But the parent must be able to convince the LA that the child is getting a suitable education and to a suitable standard[/i].

If they are not convinced the child is getting an adequate education at home, and the child is away from school, they can take action against the parents.

Clearly the educational achievements of the educating parent will count quite a lot towards convincing the LA.

Home educating is not common in the UK. I dont think it will be easy for your friend to convince the LA that its ok in this case. Good luck anyway.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:47 am
Just to let you know...my friend did great. Child Services there were kind and gracious and everything is great. They were impressed with the curriculum she chose and with her 5 year old's abilities. They will check every 6 months as is their practice to make sure they are on task. I think it is smart and a good way of being held accountable. So all is well there...

Thanks for your help...The websites you both gave were hugely instrumental in giving us information as to what to expect.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
mismi40 wrote:
Just to let you know...my friend did great. Child Services there were kind and gracious and everything is great. They were impressed with the curriculum she chose and with her 5 year old's abilities. They will check every 6 months as is their practice to make sure they are on task. I think it is smart and a good way of being held accountable. So all is well there...

Thanks for your help...The websites you both gave were hugely instrumental in giving us information as to what to expect.
I'm really pleased. Thanks for taking the trouble to update us.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:26 pm
Awwww. Bless.

Hey there was a great programme last night on Channel 4 about child literacy and reading schemes.

Did you see it, Steve?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 03:07 pm
'fraid not

I seem to miss all tv progs of any value

how do you catch them?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:25 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
'fraid not

I seem to miss all tv progs of any value

how do you catch them?

You look at the schedules before the event. And the previews. And the "pick of the day/week" if you're sad, like me.

Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

:wink: x
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:54 am
Thanks I'll try it. I usually start at channel 1 and progress through to channel 431 when I think there might have been something interesting on channel 112, but when I get back there its gone. Sad

off now to buy some schedules...(are you sure we have those in UK?)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:00 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Thanks I'll try it. I usually start at channel 1 and progress through to channel 431 when I think there might have been something interesting on channel 112, but when I get back there its gone. Sad

off now to buy some schedules...(are you sure we have those in UK?)

Well....

There's the weekly TV section which comes with The Independent on Saturdays.
Then there's the entertainments guide which comes with The Observer on Sundays
Then every day in G2 with The Guardian, previews as well as reviews of TV programmes are available.

And we usually get Radio Times as well

:wink:
armed with those, a ballpoint pen and a diary, you should get by.....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:23 am
sounds like hard work. And I could just be watching tv.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Question for a friend that just moved to England
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.22 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:51:18