Your Most Memorable Conversation

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
While Lola and Blatham were here, we all enjoyed each other's company tremendously. However, there were times When Lola and I would just sit and listen to Dys and Blatham. They are well matched intellectually, with a breadth and depth of knowledge that is close to being unmatchable.

They blended history, philosophy, politics, religion, 60's music, of which they both have an astonishing amount of knowledge, sociology, society and sports cars of the fifties and sixies. When Blatham mentioned having an Austin Healey but not the 'bug eye' Dys nearly fell off his chair. "You know the bug eye?!!" And there began another couple of hours of conversation and memories.

It would go on for hours nonstop and Lola and I would let the words wash over us, in awe at the amount of knowledge in those two wonderful brains. Oh, maybe most important, there was a lot of humor and neither one of them ever orated--it was a true dialogue. I so wish I had a recorder so that it could have been saved. Now it is floating through the New Mexico skies.

How about some of your favorite conversations? Tell about one in which you participated or one in which you were simply listening.

Tell all...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,347 • Replies: 29
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:47 pm
It's a good topic. Reviewing my history, I can't think of a single conversation of that caliber. This post serves merely as my bookmark.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:54 pm
Interesting topic, Diane. Wish I had been there to hear the discourse.

I know I've participated in a few really stimulating conversations. I know it. When I read your post, I could feel something akin to memories stirring. Had the feeling that you get when you're involved in such a conversation.

Can't remember a damned one. Dys and Bernie's conversation is floating around in the New Mexico sky. Mine are floating around in my head. Almost as vast an emptiness.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
Well, I really like the conversaiton(s) with the above mentioned ds during the couple of days no-one could listen to us.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
Re: Your Most Memorable Conversation
Diane wrote:
While Lola and Blatham were here, we all enjoyed each other's company tremendously. However, there were times When Lola and I would just sit and listen to Dys and Blatham. They are well matched intellectually, with a breadth and depth of knowledge that is close to being unmatchable.

They blended history, philosophy, politics, religion, 60's music, of which they both have an astonishing amount of knowledge, sociology, society and sports cars of the fifties and sixies. When Blatham mentioned having an Austin Healey but not the 'bug eye' Dys nearly fell off his chair. "You know the bug eye?!!" And there began another couple of hours of conversation and memories.

It would go on for hours nonstop and Lola and I would let the words wash over us, in awe at the amount of knowledge in those two wonderful brains. Oh, maybe most important, there was a lot of humor and neither one of them ever orated--it was a true dialogue. I so wish I had a recorder so that it could have been saved. Now it is floating through the New Mexico skies.

How about some of your favorite conversations? Tell about one in which you participated or one in which you were simply listening.

Tell all...

I've met them. They are a couple of numpties.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
Well, I'm usually a one on one person, and I have found it unproductive to talk about politics and religion. Recently, I had one of the best conversations that I have had in a long time with my handyman, Al. He is brilliant and from Montreal. We discussed at length his background and knowledge and the circumstances that he is dealing with here where I live. I really listened more than I talked, but asked a lot of questions that he willingly answered. I felt that both of us benefited from the exchange.

Strange, I find more satisfaction talking with strangers than with people that I know.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:23 pm
Well, McTag, I'm a numptie too, but Lola and I had the good sense not to interrupt. It would have been ruined if another person had tried to enter the conversation--asking question, going off on a tangent.

I've found that most good conversationalists are those who are aware when to keep quiet when something of that caliber is taking place.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 11:37 pm
This doesn't rate as a memorable conversation, but Diane, I have to say it, your avatar fascinates me!!!

When I look at it I see a woman's face. Her head is thrown back and she is looking off to the left. The bird on the right forms an ear and the hairline, while the other forms the chin and neck. The large leaf above the lower bird is the mouth, while the bell shaped flower is a sort of abstract representation of the eyes (maybe with very trendy sunnies on).

So I'm crazy!! But I do think it is nice. Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 11:53 pm
Lezzles, you have a fascinating, beautiful imagination and you may not be too far off.

The image is of Native American origin and is of two hummingbirds. Legends of hummingbirds are numerous throughout Native American lore. So what you see might be truer and more meaningful than what most people would see.

You have made it more beautiful for me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:01 am
Going back many years, to the time I worked audit shift in a local motel, there came a phone call. It went something like this:

Me - Farmington Days Inn. How may I direct your call.

Him - Oh, I was trying to call the Days Inn.

Me - This is the Days Inn Motel.

Him - Sorry, I must have the wrong number. I was calling the Days Inn Motel. <hangs>

Me - ??????
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:03 am
Oops! I had the same intrepretation as lezzles. Life will never bee the same.

It's like the Man in the Moon. They tell me that in Japan, the see a rabbit in the full moon. Go look. They are right.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:18 am
Hate to drop names (like hell), but my greatest conversational experience was the set of conversations (2) I had with Aldous Huxley in Hollywood (one month apart) when I picked him up at bus stops and took him to his destinations. It was fascinating (in 1962).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:22 am
Oh, and the conversation my wife and I had in our living room one late afternoon with Dys was nothing forgettable. He explained convincingly how Plato screwed up Western civilization.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:01 am
The Raven's Realm chats were damn good fun......

Sunday am Oz time, Saturday afternoon US time.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:52 am
Aldous Huxley - fantastic!

A friend of mine, James, was the son of an English knight who had lived for some years in Oz. When his parents went back to the UK James and his wife Ellen, decided to make their home here. Sir Alfred and Lady Mary came out to visit and I was invited to dinner. Sir Alfred and I hit it off and after the meal was over he and I sat at the table while he regaled me with story after story of his activities during WWII. Lady Mary, James and Ellen all kept telling him not to bore me with his old war stories, but I was enraptured. He told me of his guilt in getting so many men killed when he was trying to organise their rescue from Crete. He told me that the Guns of Navarone was based on this incident, the only difference being that it did not work. I felt so sad for him. He was not the kind to blame it on the war.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:28 am
HAd a bunch, cant really pick a superlative. Maybe Ill just listen in here.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
I see some conversations in the posts on this thread that I would have enjoyed being part of, even in listening mode.

My own most memorable...

My grandmother was on her death bed in the hospital. Many family members were gathered. I had taken the day from work to be there. Everyone at some time over the previous 24 hours had had their moments with grandma alone. I had not.

Someone was hungry. Someone piped in a "Me, too." As others exited the room my Dad said, "Why don't you stay and have a few minutes with her."

We sat in silence. She motioned that she was thirsty, so I held the cup and straw for her to take a sip. I sat back down in the chair at the foot of the bed. Silent. I had nothing to say. If she did, she was too weak to do so.

She died a few hours later.

(I've never told anyone that.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:21 am
Wow, Squinny. That was a beautiful description.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:11 am
Memorable? I'm not sure.

I have a notion that I've forgotten some evenings of deep wisdom while retaining memories of trivia. I have warm, fuzzy memories of long evenings in college dorms settling the great issues of the world.

Also, since I'm responsible for writing my graduating class's column in the college magazine, just before deadline I'm often on the telephone with women I haven't seen for nearly fifty years--and often was not close to when I did see them.

Fifty years has mellowed us all--and yet not changed any of us much. I can chatter away with most of my classmates as though we were still in the dorms, settling the great issue of the world.

Recently, I kept a long-delayed promise to myself and called Osso. We chattered away like old friends--which, of course, we are.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:26 pm
Oh what I would give to have heard that conversation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Your Most Memorable Conversation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:52:14