All this rain means a LOUD Saturday morning

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:11 am
We finally got our much needed rain, so the grass is much greener and thicker than it's been all summer. That's good.

But, knowing my neighborhood, it's going to be a very noisy weekend.
Power mowers, gas-powered weed-whackers and leaf blowers will be fired up before 8am. A couple of my neighbors, I just know are jonesing for that smell of grass and gasoline.

When I was a kid (ugh, there's that phrase) I mowed the lawn with a push mower. Saturday mornings were filled with the sound of click-clack-click of the mower blades, the snipping sounds of hand hedge clippers and the swooshing of brooms to clear of the sidewalks.
You could actually work, and at the same time hear the birds and cicadas!!

It was a much gentler way of waking up on a weekend.

Oh well....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 522 • Replies: 6
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:28 am
No rain here, but the brown grass is loud and crunchy when you walk on it...
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:31 am
aww, H2O_Man, that must be both physically and emotionally uncomfortable for you, knowing your affinity for water.
I'm sorry.
Smile :wink:
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:01 am
happycat wrote:
both physically and emotionally uncomfortable

Laughing Thank you for your concern. No worries - I'm very comfortable and happy.

It's way to hot to work in the yard besides, the South will rain again Cool
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:30 am
Re: All this rain means a LOUD Saturday morning
happycat wrote:
it's going to be a very noisy weekend. Power mowers, gas-powered weed-whackers and leaf blowers will be fired up before 8am...
... Saturday mornings were filled with the sound of click-clack-click of the mower blades, the snipping sounds of hand hedge clippers and the swooshing of brooms to clear of the sidewalks. You could actually work, and at the same time hear the birds and cicadas!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you, happycat! I hate the cacophony of power equipment. (In my old neighbourhood, we had a pact for everyone to do their yardwork at the same time, if they could, and get all the noise over with so that everyone could enjoy the weekend. It worked for a while, but fell by the wayside as a few people sold and new neighbours didn't agree.) I especially loathe the leafblowers -- all that noise and debris flying everywhere, and it takes just as long to do the job as someone with a rake! Plus the raker gets such a good workout, they can save money by not joining a health club.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:38 am
Tico, my gripe is the gas powered whackers. All that noise and power just to trim along the edge of the sidewalk????

But I'm embarrassed to admit we have one and my husband is ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!! Nothing I say will deter him...and the yard is his domain.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:39 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

It's way to hot to work in the yard besides, the South will rain again Cool

yes, I heard the South with reign again. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » All this rain means a LOUD Saturday morning
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:00:18