Sox, anyone?

Tico

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:52 am
Every laundry day, a mystery happens here. There's always 2 or 3 lonely, unmatched socks. Never one, never four or more -- the only variation is 2 or 3.

Each laundry day sees a different group of lonely socks. Somehow, during the alchemy of the wash cycle, last weeks lonely socks find their mates. Usually. Although there is one poor sock who has been missing his mate for months now. But even when an errant sock reappears, another sock disappears.

Sometimes I can be a little absent minded, but if I'm wearing a sock on one foot I can assure you I have a matching sock on the other. So, ergo, twin socks always go into the wash together. But they don't come out together. (key Twilight Zone music here)

Where do they go?
What adventures do they have when they're solo?
Are they lying, cheating, scumbag socks -- luring happily-paired innocent socks into cheap motel rooms?
Are those foot fetishists luring them away with promises?
What promises could the FF's possibly make?

Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 833 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
Maybe you leave one of them in the drier and someone else comes along and tosses it out...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:31 am
The dryer gnomes steal your socks and use them to make their hats. *nods*
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
Maybe the "foot fetish" guy sneaks in and graps a sock...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:49 am
Socks run off to baseball games..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:50 pm
I've learned.

I buy Mr. Noddy all-the-same white tube socks with plain tops.

My own socks and footlets I corral in mesh bags.

Consequently when a sock or footlet goes AWOL I take it very personally.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:39 pm
I hate to admit it, but it's the truth. I had always teased others when they confided in me before, but I never knew that one day I would discover that I, too, had fallen victim to a curse that plagues so many of usÂ…..I have an odd number of socks.

As shocking as this may be, I've never actually gone out and purchased an odd number of socks. I always bought sets of socks in pairs. I've also never thrown away a sock on its own. According to theoretical mathematics, this would imply that the current state of my sock count is an even number whatever the total.

Sadly, the reality of the situation is that somewhere out in this great, vast, wide world is one of my socks. It could be next door or on the other side of the world. This would imply that at some point, I lost it. That's so embarrassing.

You'd think someone with basic competencies would be able to do their laundry without losing an item as simple as a sock, a plain, golden-toed sock. Yet for some reason it happens. Not only does it happen, but it happens often, so often that it's even part of our freaking culture to crack jokes about the missing sock.

No one at MIT understands the it's-oh-so-hard-to-program-the-time-on-the-VCR joke, but crack a joke about missing socks and the crowd laughs to the point of tears while gasping, "It's so true! It's so true!"

I even have a very sneaking suspicion that I haven't lost one sock, but instead (2n+1) socks, where n is a positive integer.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:52 pm
If you have a teenager (particularly male) in the house, look behind his dresser, tv, computer desk.....or even in desk drawers.
I once found a lone (used!) sock inside the pillow case when I changed his bed.

go figure Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:00 pm
Check the file cabinets for socks and other dirty laundry... Laughing
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:04 pm
Webpage Title

There is a bit by Jerry Seinfeld about sox...hysterical...

By the way - it happens to me too. Have no clue where they go and before long they show up...I suspect under things, behind things, inbetween things as well....
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
Laundry Day - Jerry Seinfeld

There is a bit by Jerry Seinfeld about sox...hysterical...

By the way - it happens to me too. Have no clue where they go and before long they show up...I suspect under things, behind things, inbetween things as well....[/quote]
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:23 pm
Laughing Thanks for the Seinfeld bit, mismi40! That's it -- they've sewn button on as eyes and run off to join a puppet show!

And Tryagain -- brilliant post. There oughtta be a government committee set up to investigate this phenomenon.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:26 pm
Sorry - I did not mean to double post...still getting used to those buttons up there...and down there...

Thanks - One of my favorite bits by Jerry...
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:25 pm
Came across the following on the Human Interest forum:

Miller wrote:
Foot Fetish Photographer On Loose
Man Taking Pictures Of Women's Feet

POSTED: 6:30 pm EDT August 16, 2007
UPDATED: 9:22 pm EDT August 16, 2007

BOSTON -- A man police said has been snapping pictures of women's feet with a cell phone camera is not under arrest because he has not broken any laws.

NewsCenter 5's Bianca de la Garza reported that police said they found 21 pictures of women's feet on his cell phone.

"It seems like a little strange," said Annie.

Annie said the man recently came into her Massachusetts Avenue yoga studio claiming he had a foot injury.

"So I was doing something with my foot and he kept touching it. And I thought he just wanted to be clear about what I was showing him, but then he took my sock," she said. Shocked Police said at this point, the man has not broken any laws.

"The problem is right now is that there was no criminal intent that we know of," said Cambridge police Officer Frank Pasquarello.

Police said they could arrest the man if they connect him to a June assault near Central Square where a woman was given a bear hug by a stranger.

"It is more clear-cut in the hugging situation. If it is unwanted, and someone comes up behind you and hugs you, that is against the law," said Pasquarello.

The first reported incident of the man taking pictures of women's feet took place in April at a Harvard Square lighting store. The man returned and the clerk recognized him and called police.

"It sounds like a problem, like he needs help," Annie said.

Cambridge police said the man is of Middle Eastern descent, between 25 and 35 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall with a medium build.

Boston Channel.com

Seems to me the mystery has been solved. Perhaps the missing items can be found here. (The miscreants might be using them as disguises.)

Miller wrote:
Footnight International seems to be an organization devoted to foot fetish. According to their website, they host "foot parties".

www.footnight.com

Are our innocent socks being held against their will and are they being used for immoral purposes? Should we rendezvous and go stage a rescue?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:41 pm
Quote:
Are our innocent socks being held against their will and are they being used for immoral purposes? Should we rendezvous and go stage a rescue?

THey can rendezvous all they want, as long as they come home clean Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:47 pm
I have another layer of sock-angst. Y'all know I've moved and had myriad boxes. I used some of my thicker socks to wrap some ceramics. My ceramics generally survived the move well. But, dumbo here didn't maintain sock pairs per box. Thus, with the first many-box breakdown, I found a couple of lone socks, and, being sane relative to how much I had to do, just tossed them. With the second months-later box breakdown, I found the mates. And, sadly, sadly, tossed them. What can ya do, what can ya do.

Well, I could have kept them in some kind of lost sock box... or hung them on the garage wall... or made sock dolls...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:17 am
They have perfected dematerialized transport. Hence, if you are washing 10 socks, and your neighbor is washing 12, one of your socks teleports over to your neighbor's dryer. You end up with 11 and he or she ends up with 13 and so the odd sock epidemic spreads.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:52 am
They morph into coat hangers and perform silent gymnastics in the closet.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sox, anyone?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:37:31