school uniforms for high schoolers - pros and cons

eoe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
I think uniforms are a good idea. They eliminate some of the vicious bs that go on between the haves and the have nots in school.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:51 am
CalamityJane wrote:
ppssssssst mismo, in actuality they're the Kool-Aid kids and still drink
lemonade made by Mommy.

Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
CalamityJane wrote:
ppssssssst mismo, in actuality they're the Kool-Aid kids and still drink
lemonade made by Mommy.

You'll be sorry you crossed Megadeth.

Which is actually not our name anymore. My suggestion was overruled by Pavel, our leader, and hereforth we shall be known as "The Naughty Fellows."
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:23 pm
Well, if you can't be Megadeth, then I suppose The Naughty Fellows is the next best thing. Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:27 pm
Whereas the "naughty felons" has a much better ring to it, Gargamel.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:28 pm

CON!

Oh man, when I was a punkrock teenager ditching school and smoking ciggerate and we used to walk past the cathlic school.

WOW talk about oppisite attract. It was like TNT.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:33 pm
Amigo wrote:

CON!

Oh man, when I was a punkrock teenager ditching school and smoking ciggerate and we used to walk past the cathlic school.

WOW talk about oppisite attract. It was like TNT.

Oh, that's more than just the uniform. That's the Catholic girl thing goin' on. :wink:
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 01:38 pm
The way I grew up, a school uniform in itself signified wealth.
It meant Private School.
A school that costs money, so your parents must have bucks or at least be thinking of putting money into your education.

The rest of us were in hicksville or the regular trashy city schools.

So I have no idea if uniforms will help gang problems ? (Actually, can't relate to that, doesn't make sense to me how that would work?).
But, the uniform will certainly divide those who wear uniforms from those who don't.

Funny, funny world.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:30 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hppycat wrote:
Where I live, my county sheriff is pushing for school uniforms for high schools. Since we have confirmed gang members/activity in the area, he feels that this is the way to do away with gang colors and clothing in the high schools.
He refers to school uniforms as "equalizers."

It is interesting how things have changed. When I went to high school, it was the opposite. Many people felt that the rich kids used their clothing as a means to stand out from the crowd. In my day, cashmere sweaters, and felt skirts with poodles on them were de rigeur outfit for the blossoming socialite.

I never had to wear a uniform, and would have fought like a tiger to avoid wearing one. At the time, the kids going to Catholic schools wore them, and were considered "quaint" by the rest of us.

I can understand the rationale for wearing a uniform, but, IMO, there should be a broader selection. White shirts or polos with collars and dark
pants are uniform enough, but allows for differences in taste, budget, etc. I see no reason to insist on a school emblem (unless the maker of the emblems are manufactured by the principal's brother-in-law). Sad

These are also my thoughts, phoenix.

I wouldn't have minded if there was more of a selection of cloths and there wasn't such a high price tag on them.

The school emblem on the cloths really bugs me.

A list of a variety of clothing acceptabe for school would be something I could have lived with and maybe a school cloths store right in the school, which doesn't charge an arm and a leg for the stuff. If it's mandatory, the school should sell the stuff to the parents at their cost.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:40 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
The way I grew up, a school uniform in itself signified wealth.
It meant Private School.
A school that costs money, so your parents must have bucks or at least be thinking of putting money into your education.

The rest of us were in hicksville or the regular trashy city schools.

So I have no idea if uniforms will help gang problems ? (Actually, can't relate to that, doesn't make sense to me how that would work?).
But, the uniform will certainly divide those who wear uniforms from those who don't.

Funny, funny world.

That's how I grew up. The rich kids in private schools were the only ones who wore the uniforms.

I'm thinking about the gang member situations (although the gangs in my school weren't all that scary back then in my old neck of the woods), and I'm thinking in violent gang member situations, the dress code thing just might help.

The gang members like to intimidate with their clothing, which causes tension, so I'm wondering if removing the gang cloths from the schools, would make a difference. For some reason, I think it might.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:55 pm
You might be right, Montana. I see no harm coming from trying. I personally don't see the uniforms as a bad thing at all.
In the rougher schools especially, it might even give the kids some sense of school spirit. That's a tacky way to put it, but basically that's the idea anyways. Something that brings them all together.

There was never a problem with that in the small schools, which is one reason that uniforms probably never came up. Location created a bond in itself.

That isn't so for a lot of kids now. Schools have such a mix from here there and everywhere, there is a lack of connection to the school itself.

Eh, I feel very provincial saying this. Kinda feel glad about what I had now, though I hated it at the time. Felt stifling! lol.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
Yeah, you touched on what I'm thinking about bringing them all together.

Just bouncing it around in my head.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:58:04