how do i put my life in order..

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:23 pm
a couple of weeks ago i asked for help in what should i do with my life..i was out of highschool....and didnt know what i wanted to do with my life.
well im out of highschool,but without a diploma..texas has these tests called the taks. their math,english,history,and science tests. i passed the english and history but not the math and science. i have taken these 2 tests 5 times. not being able to pass them. i got all my credits,but not my diploma. you cant get it until you pass the tests. and i cant go to college without my diploma.i studied, i went to tutoring. what happened!?!?!?!?
my parents are dissappinted at me.. im the oldest im supposed to be a good example to my younger sister and brother. i feel useless. im working now.so i wont feel like a useless bum. the next test date is in october..i just have to pass them by then.

please advise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 777 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:28 am
Study.

I know that sounds flip, but that's what you have to do. Do not concentrate on how many times you have taken the test. Convince yourself that this is the first time.

Study. Study harder than you ever have. Do practice drills. Time yourself, see how quickly you can answer easy, medium and difficult questions. Read about science all the time -- not just in your class books, but in the newspaper or online. There's always some sort of news story about NASA or dinosaurs or geology. Read, read, read and make it a part of your life. One thing about studying is, if you hate what you're studying, you may not retain as much because you won't want to bother. You may find yourself putting in the time but not getting much out of it. So try to make your peace with science because then at least if it can become somewhat pleasant to read about, that may help you turn the corner.

Math is harder to embrace so you'll need to do some fancy things. Do you like sports? Then calculate winning percentages for your favorite teams, or figure out who's going to be the first team to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Bake cookies and double the recipe. Next time, halve the recipe. Look at your bank balance and figure out the interest rate. Look at numbers outside, anywhere, even the route numbers on the highway, and try to figure out things like if the number is prime, or if it's divisible by three or what would happen if you multiplied it by six or what's the square root.

Study.

You can do it. Smile

Study.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:44 am
I hate all this friggin test taking that has taken over our education system. It proves nothing except that some people are better at taking tests than others. I probably couldn't pass the math part either, and I'm running a successful business and I've worked on Wall St. in my past.

April - It's hard to catch up with the work if you are very behind. Are you close to passing? Is there a time limit on how long you have to take the exams? What about if you took off a year just to study the topics you're having trouble with? Get a tutor and set aside a few hours a day to really study the material and take the test next October. Think of it as an investment in yourself. You might also want to look into GED programs, they are not easier, but you can often qualify for free tutoring and classes.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:56 am
Garbage men make lots of money. Many many people don't go to college and still have successful relationships families and lives.

You could travel a little, maybe overseas, funding your perigrinations with seasonal work. Do some couchsurfing WWW. couchsurfing dot com. explore the wine regions of France and pick a few grapes to help expenses.

Mature age students make better students anyway.

As far as setting a good example to you siblings and your parents being disappointed tell em you've done the best you can and if they don't like it they can shove it.

The school of hard knocks can teach you many good lessons.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » how do i put my life in order..
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 11:12:58