RANT: debunking public figures the moment they're dead

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:56 pm
It has long disturbed me, ever since Mommie Dearest became a national past-time, how, without a decent mourning time for the ones feeling their loss, there are invariably those who seem to delight in tearing their reputations to shreds. Now, I did not read Mommie Dearest or view the film; I was too disillusioned to hear the talk about an actress I had spent a lifetime loving. Perhaps she deserved it. But, the general trend is something I find pretty disheartening. William Somerset Maugham was to me a great gentleman. I don't recall seeing a bad word in print concerning this man, ever - until he died. Then a book cutting him down was released. There is a long succession of such instances. I never read the gossip, and I think the worst of most of the ones doing the debunking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 713 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 07:09 pm
I dunno -- I think it's a pendulum thing. The first thing that usually happens is that the recently departed is given full hagiography treatment. Then some people say, "oh come on, he/she wasn't THAT great! In fact..." Then it eventually settles down into something approximately appropriate for what that person was actually like.

That said, I completely agree that the delight in tearing someone's reputation to threads thing is... unseemly. (Then again, we rarely wait until they're dead to do that these days...)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:55 am
Edgar
Isn't that America's or should I say the media's past time, character assassination both before and after celebrities have gone to their final resting place. It sells and satisfies people voyeuristic tendencies. The good does not sell only the sensational and lurid does
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:31 am
Right you are. But I don't gotta like it.
0 Replies

BlueTime

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 01:16 pm
This doesn't only happen this way... People also do it when someone moves away, or moves to a new job, etc. Basically, since the person can't correct the false rumors, they run rampant!

I don't think anyone with a conscience would do this.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 03:59 pm
BlueTime

The news media is not known to have a conscience. Just a thirst for circulation and ratings.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RANT: debunking public figures the moment they're dead
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:56:10