Battle at Kruger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:23 pm
This was an interesting little video shot by some guy on a safari. I was just watching tv and they were talking about it and how it has gained enormous popularity on youtube.

I'm not sure of a lot of the details behind the filming, who was involved, nor how this has reached national attention, but it is definitely worth watching.

have a look
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:26 pm
Is there a Reader's Digest version for those of us with dial up?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:33 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Is there a Reader's Digest version for those of us with dial up?

What happened was there was a large group of water buffalo walking down the river bank and they met up with a pride of lions. The people watching from the safari jeep were quite excited and were saying things like, "oh my god, what is going to happen?"

Suddenly, as the two groups meet, the lions charge and single out a baby water buffalo. They attack it and the whole group slides into the water. There are like five lions on this little water buffalo and the main buffalo herd has left. The people in the car watching this are very distraught and saying things like, "oh, that poor little thing."

Suddenly someone yells, "There's a crocodile!" Sure enough, a crocodile has emerged from the water and grabbed one of the buffalo's hind legs and starts dragging him in the water. Then another crocodile grabs hold. The lions are still pulling from the other side, a virtual tug of war.

The lions win the battle and pull the little guy on shore. Now, all of a sudden here comes the main buffalo herd. They surround the lions then they begin to charge. One of the buffaloes tosses a lion in the air with his mighty horns. All hell is breaking loose.

The lions scatter and the little buffalo, miraculously, survives the ordeal.

It was high drama on the African Plain.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:35 pm
Holy cow! At first I thought you invited us to a blood bath - that was one astounding bit of amature footage and in so many ways! Disturbing was the Boy vs the Snake vid that popped up after wards......
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:37 pm
Thanks Gus. I always like the book way better than the movie.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:44 pm
Wow, that was cool... hopefully those water buffalo learned something from all that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:45 pm
The buffalo!? I was thinking the lions learned something from that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:48 pm
littlek, that bit with the snake was obviously fake. Two movies melded into one.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:49 pm
Nah, I'm thinking the buffalo - first they took off, then they came back and stood around for a while until the Alpha Male tossed that one lion around, then they still stood around - not realizing their own strength, size and power until a couple finally challenged the lions.

Hopefully this will change the dynamics out there, if only for that one herd Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:49 pm
Green Witch wrote:

You are welcome, GW. You know I'm always there for you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:55 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

You are welcome, GW. You know I'm always there for you.

...and you know I love you like a brother.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:17 pm
I thought this thread was titled "Battle At Kroger's." I was hoping to see some vid of Gus stealing groceries.

But when I saw this ....this......thing! I was shocked and appalled. When you humiliate lions, you humiliate cats all over the world. I take this as a personal affront!

That lion that got tossed in the air looked just like my great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa. Oh the shame... the shame! (runs off to hide under bed)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:19 pm
That'll teach you guys to mess with water buffalos! Now get and slink on out of here!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:20 pm
That was remarkable, which is why I am remarking. Good one, gus.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:24 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
I thought this thread was titled "Battle At Kroger's."

I started a thread for that kind of thing!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
The link doesn't work any longer Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:14 pm
Water buffalo? Usually lion country is populated with cape buffalo, one of the most dangerous creatures on the continent.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:19 pm
These guys fit that bill!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:18 am
Thanks, roger for your input.
There is a BIG difference between a water buffalo and a cape buff. Lions will not take on an adult cape buffalo unless
a. there are a lot of lions and
b. the buffalo is almost dead.
Very dangerous critters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:57 am
Where the hell is the mozzarella?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Battle at Kruger
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/27/2024 at 01:41:14