mimetic word + onomatopoeic word

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:46 am
hi everyone.
I am study english.
I hope to know about mimetic word, onomatopoeic word.
so I tried to find these site.
but I could not find.
please help me.

recommend to me about mimetic word onomatopoeic word site please.
thanks. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,722 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 05:20 am
Hi Catelina, I looked on the Web for sites relating to mimetic words and onomatopoetic words. I found several sites for onomatopoeia, one of which is

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/lit_terms/onomatopoeia.html

If you want to look for more sites about this word, I suggest you enter the word onomatopoeia.

As for mimetic words, I'm sorry to say that not only am I not sure of what these are, but I couldn't find a site that I thought would be of help to you. Most of the discussions relate to Japanese or Korean, and the few that relate to English are written at a very high level and would probably be impossible for you to understand.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps other a2kers will stop by this thread and offer you more advice and information.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:47 am
Mimetic words? "Mimetic" refers to conveying thought (i.e. communicating) without vocalizations but through hand gestures, body motions, etc... "Mimetic Communication" is what a mime does. I suppose something like American Sign Language or even the game of charades could fit the definition as well.

I don't know of any words that are unique to mimetic communication though.
0 Replies

Catelina-9734

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:36 am
thanks for good information Roberta and fishin`! :wink:
um.... I just know about english word (or spanish ok!) like
"cock-a-doodle-do, fump" everything ok! Razz
and thanks again Roberta and fishin`!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:11 am
I'm glad we could help you, Catelina. I wish we could have done more.

I see that you're from Korea. There were a number of sites that mentioned Korean mimetic words. The problem was that there were no sites for English ones.

Good luck with finding what you need.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:09 am
You think the word "Mnemonic" might have been intended, Roberta? None come to mind that would also be onomatopoetic, but that could be a good challenge - for someone else.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:24 am
Interesting idea, Roger. But I think that mimetic and onomatopoetic are somehow related. I just can't get a handle on mimetic to figure out how.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:39 am
According to Merriam Webster Unabridged, mimetic and onomatopoetic are synonyms.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 11:56 am
Interesting Mac! The on-line version of Merriam Webster's lists the two as "related words" but not as synonyms. ????

They do both relate to mimicry and imitation. One, mimetic, seems to be imitation without any sound, and onomatopoetic seems to be entirely related to imitation through sound.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:10 pm
To use the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Online version, you have to subscribe (or else I'd post a link)...

Here's the whole entry for MIMETIC (see 7a):

Main Entry: mi·met·ic Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: mmed.]ik, ()m|m-, -et], ]k
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin mimeticus, from Greek mimtikos, from mimts imitator (from mimeisthai to imitate) + -ikos -ic
1 : having an aptitude for or a tendency toward mimicry : IMITATIVE <mimetic tendency of infancy -- R.W.Hamilton>
2 : of, relating to, or characterized by mimicry
3 : MIMIC 3 <a whole copse of mimetic fir trees was being felled -- Christopher Morley>
4 a : characterized by or exhibiting biological mimicry <sometimes an animal develops mimetic coloring -- A.M.Woodbury> <mimetic type> b : simulating the action or effect of -- usually used in combination <sympathomimetic drugs> <adrenocorticomimetic activity>
5 : characterized by resemblance to other forms -- used of crystals <a mimetic growth of parallel feldspar crystals produces a comblike structure -- G.E.Goodspeed>
6 : representing an emotion by imitative gestures and expressions <a mimetic dance> <a ballet is a series of solo and concerted dances with mimetic actions -- Mark Perugini>
7 a : ONOMATOPOEIC <hiss is a mimetic word> b : resulting from analogy -- used of change in a word form
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:41 pm
Mac, Thanks for the info. Synonyms! So Catelina isn't looking for two things. She's looking for one thing. Live and loin.
0 Replies

Catelina-9734

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:47 am
thanks!
my friend use english very well.
she said to me these words do not use very often.
but I just want to know about these words.
because these words are very fun and interesting to me.
what do you think of my opinion???
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:05 am
Catelina, It just so happens that onomatopoeia is my favorite of all the words in English language. I love the way it sounds. I love the way it's spelled. And I love what it means--words that sound like what they mean.

If you are interested in pursuing this in English, there is a wonderful poem by Edgar Allan Poe called The Bells. This poem contains many onomaopoeic words. Here's the link. I hope you enjoy it.

http://reading.posyo.ru/bells.shtml
0 Replies

peterduce

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:44 pm
Mimetic and onomatopoeic are related but not etymologicaly, they are not synonymous. Mimetic does indeed refer to mimicry, onomatopoeic refers to the sound of the word mimicking the sound it is describing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 07:24 pm
peterduce, Thanks for the info and welcome to a2k. If mimetic and onomatopoeic are not synonyms, then I'm still unclear as to the meaning of mimetic in a language sense. Can you help me?
0 Replies

peterduce

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
Roberta

How about,--- a mimetic dance, or mimetic dancing, i.e. using imitative means of representation of something, perhaps an animal, cf The Lion King, Cats.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:51 pm
peterduce, When I read about mimetic in order to respond to this question, your suggesion of dance is what came to mind. I think I was confused by the question--and answer--in the context of spoken language.

Thanks for explaining. I think I now understand. In a sense onomatopoeia is mimetic in a language sense. But mimetic refers to more than language.
0 Replies

peterduce

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 07:29 pm
Roberta

I think you're right, and that's my interpretation. I realise that it's somewhat at odds with Mac11's post above as far as Merriam-Webster's item definition#7 goes. I'll stick with the good old Oxford dictionaries
0 Replies

Catelina-9734

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:58 am
hi peterduce.
I am catelina. um.. I read your infomation.
I know merriam-webster online dictionary?
where is definition#7?
have nice day. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:58 am
Catelina - Peter was referring my post above.
0 Replies