How Earth would look if all humans disappeared?

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:58 pm
Video:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=49B0CB1C-E7F2-99DF-31B25137E601E0C5

Published: Saturday, June 30, 2007
How Earth would look if all humans disappeared
By Peter Carlson, The Washington Post

The July issue of Scientific American asks the question: What would happen to the Earth if all humans suddenly disappeared?

The answer, supplied by Alan Weisman, author of "The World Without Us," is that most human creations would soon start to crumble. Within two days, Manhattan would be flooded. Within a week, nuclear reactors would begin to melt down as their cooling systems failed. Soon, roads and buildings would begin to crack and crumble and burn. Within 500 years, mature forests would cover New York City. And North America would be a "giant deer habitat."

The winners of a post-human world would be birds, trees, mosquitoes - and house cats, "who would probably do well dining on small mammals and birds."

The losers would be those animals most dependent on us - cattle, rats, cockroaches and head lice.

But don't worry, some remnants of our proud human civilization will long endure: "Certain common plastics would remain intact for hundreds of thousands of years." Also, broadcasts of our television shows would travel though space for "trillions of years."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,882 • Replies: 12
No top replies

spendius

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:04 pm
Nothing would happen because there would be no words to describe it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:11 pm
spendius wrote:
Nothing would happen because there would be no words to describe it.

Laughing
Except the article describes what would happen to everything currently existing on Earth, not before it was inhabited by humas.

BBB
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:53 pm
Spendius is correct.

The description above stlll requires a hypothetical human observer/ language user. "Existence" is the relationship between observer and observed.

If there were no human observers none of the "things" described would "exist". There might be other observers but "thingness" for them would depend on their perceptual mechanisms. ("Tree in the forrest...." argument)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:10 am
BBB wrote-

Quote:
Except the article describes what would happen to everything currently existing on Earth, not before it was inhabited by humus.

Actually B the article describes how to get money out of the readers of the WP by entertaining them and filling up the remainder of the white space that doesn't have ads on it.

Also, to some extent at least, it describes what the editor thinks of his readers.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:47 am
so what would happen to our buildings? they would just collapse? how would trees cope with all the concrete and debris found in cities? or would plants just chew through all that stuff until the rubble was fully encapsulated in soil or the like?

i was wondering this the other day lol... well seein as how grass has taken over most the widewalks around here i can see how easily it might be for nature to erase human constructions.

i still wonder what it would look like exactly, i can picture the highrises of new york full of birds and slowly bein taken over by plants/vines. that would be pretty awesome looking.

Do you think that if humans disappeared our urban habitats might influence new species to evolve or just adapt in wierd ways?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 06:28 am
OGI wrote-

Quote:
so what would happen to our buildings? they would just collapse? how would trees cope with all the concrete and debris found in cities? or would plants just chew through all that stuff until the rubble was fully encapsulated in soil or the like?

As has been said, if humans disappeared, nothing would exist, something like how nothing existed for you in 69 AD, the year of the Roman leadership's biggest reshuffle, or even in 1876, the year of my grandfather's birth, an important year for me as it led to my being here writing all this shite on A2k and an important year for you as it led to you reading it, or 7952 BC when the Matriarchy was in full swing and not one ounce of progress ever took place from century to century or from millienium to millenium, nor ever looked likely to.

If the language exists to describe it it would mean we humans hadn't disappeared in which case all the building would be in pristine condition and the trees would be in nice neat rows and pruned to perfection. The soil would, of course, do what we tell it.

To arrive at no humans from where we are will require a mighty flash of energy outreach leaving nothing behind because there is no-one there to say anything is anything.

If there are ever only a few humans left then they could describe what happens to all this stuff and they would probably describe the scenes they have seen in movies of such scenarios as posited in the thread subject. But then there wouldn't be no humans so that's out under anti-trolling regulations.

You're a pessimist. By "fully encapsulated in soil or the like" you mean in the **** don't you. The Christian human spirit will never be fully encapsulated in soil or the like, not fully, unless the mighty flash of energy outreach comes to pass in as near as dammit infinitessimal period of time. Then there would be nothing. No decaying. No such thing as decaying.

Maybe fresco might comment on any points I have failed to make clear or any logical difficulties I might have overlooked.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:11 am
OGI wrote-

Quote:
Do you think that if humans disappeared our urban habitats might influence new species to evolve or just adapt in wierd ways.

All the info we have now tells us that evolution is such a slow process that our infrastructure really would be fully encapsulated in soil or the like before any noticeable changes in the characteristics of the other animals in our world could be observed aesthetically and that sort of observation requires humans and Christian humans on the known form.

Those that adapted would simply adapt. There could be no question of "wierdness". That's a word belonging to the Christian human spirit I think. Possibly because in the history of the human species Christians are pretty wierd. The Sermon on the Mount was a bit novel to say the least. It took over 300 years of persecution for an Emperor to see the sense in it.

And looking at us lot now we have to thank him for it may I suggest.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 06:11 pm
I think your conception of the universe as anthropocentric is intellectually dubious Spendius. I think it's the same mistake that a lot of people make when considering quantum mechanics. Human observation of the Schroedinger's cat is not what forces the decaying particle to have decayed or not to have decayed. Observation is not limited to human observation, because our eyes are pretty much just the same photoreceptors possessed by so many other animals on the planet.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:28 pm
Vengoropatubus

It is you who has the anthropocentric view ! Laughing

Perception is active not passive. Proprioreceptors are only part of the system. Frogs will starve if only surrounded by dead flies.

"Existence" is relationship between observer and observed.
No particle physicists = no particles !
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:06 am
Did you know that the ancient Greeks thought that light traveled from our eyes to the object being viewed? One can only assume that when looking into a dark cave they assumed nothing inside actually existed. Were the Greeks THAT far ahead of their time?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:37 am
I think it was Euclid who first had the idea that light came from our eyes and we saw objects with the reflections. His geometrical propositions are based on the idea.

He is supposed to have run into some trouble with the heavenly bodies.

It is one of the classic examples of scientific error leading to fruitful avenues of thought. Copernicus and Kepler being in the same elite.

Maybe you haven't heard of Plato's Cave. His metaphor suggests the opposite of what you say.

Whether the Greeks were ahead of their time, and they were as fixed fast in their time as we are, Bertrand Russell said that the history of the fourth century-

Quote:
is in some of its aspects that of the greatest failure in history. . . . Plato and Aristotle . . . each in his different way tries (by suggesting forms of constitution other than those under which the race had fallen into political decadence) to rescue that Greek world which was so much to him from the political and social disaster to which it is rushing. But the Greek world was past saving.

And Arthur Koestler writing about Plato and Aristotle wrote-

Quote:
Then again they were truly twin-stars, born to complement each other; Plato the mystic, Aristotle the logician; Plato the belittler of natural science, Aristotle the observer of dolphins and whales; Plato, the spinner of allegorical yarns (the Cave) , Aristotle the dialectition and casuist; Plato, vague and ambiguous, Aristotle precise and pedantic. Lastly--for this catalogue could be continued forever-- they evolved systems of philosophy which, though different and even opposed in detail, taken jointly seemed to provide a complete answer to the predicament of the time.

The predicament was the political, economic and moral bankruptcy of classical Greece prior to the Macedonian conquest. A century of constant war and civil strife had bled the country of men and money; venality and corruption were poisoning public life; hordes of political exiles, reduced to the existence of homeless adventurers, were roaming the countryside; legalized abortion and infanticide were further thinning out the rank of citizens.

So there you go Vengo. Top notchers eh? I hope we never get ahead of our time.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:26 am
spendius wrote:
OGI wrote-

Quote:

As has been said, if humans disappeared, nothing would exist, something like how nothing existed for you in 69 AD, the year of the Roman leadership's biggest reshuffle, or even in 1876, the year of my grandfather's birth, an important year for me as it led to my being here writing all this shite on A2k and an important year for you as it led to you reading it, or 7952 BC when the Matriarchy was in full swing and not one ounce of progress ever took place from century to century or from millienium to millenium, nor ever looked likely to.

If the language exists to describe it it would mean we humans hadn't disappeared in which case all the building would be in pristine condition and the trees would be in nice neat rows and pruned to perfection. The soil would, of course, do what we tell it.

To arrive at no humans from where we are will require a mighty flash of energy outreach leaving nothing behind because there is no-one there to say anything is anything.

If there are ever only a few humans left then they could describe what happens to all this stuff and they would probably describe the scenes they have seen in movies of such scenarios as posited in the thread subject. But then there wouldn't be no humans so that's out under anti-trolling regulations.

You're a pessimist. By "fully encapsulated in soil or the like" you mean in the **** don't you. The Christian human spirit will never be fully encapsulated in soil or the like, not fully, unless the mighty flash of energy outreach comes to pass in as near as dammit infinitessimal period of time. Then there would be nothing. No decaying. No such thing as decaying.

Maybe fresco might comment on any points I have failed to make clear or any logical difficulties I might have overlooked.

at first i was thinking "wtf is this guy talking about?"

than i saw it was you and it all made sense.
0 Replies