Sun 27 Jul, 2003 04:33 pm
Hey you green thumb people, I seek your assistance.
I used to have a venus flytrap when I was young but I overfed it (hey I was a kid, I had no idea that they couldn't eat a whole steak) and it died.
So, I saw one of the ads here advertising carnivorous plants (this topic will probably show the same ad) and I decided to buy a venus fly trap again.
Have any of you had any experience with these plants?
Herwe's a link with extensive information on carnivorous plants.
Venus Fly Traps are quite easy to grow, as long as they are given the proper conditions.
They should be grown in very bright light, but not in direct, hot sun. A warm, humid environment, with a constant supply of moisture, such as you would find in a terrarium is ideal.
The potting mixture should consist of a mix of 70% peat or sphagnum moss and 30% perlite or coarse pumis.
These plants are sensitive to chemicals, so you should only use distilled water or rain water. If it is absolutely necessary to use tap water, allow it to set for 24-48 hours in an open container, to allow the chlorine and other chemicals to dissipate.
Fly Traps do not need fertilizer, the insects which they consume provide them with all the nutrients they need.
Venus Fly Traps have an active growing and feeding season, from May through October. During this period the soil should be kept constantly damp. Temperatures should be kept between 70 and 95 degrees F.
During the winter, they require a dormant period of about three months. At this time, much (if not all), of the foliage will die back. The entire planter may be moved to an area where the temperature will remain at 45-50 degrees F., or the bulb may be removed, sprayed with fungicide, wrapped in damp, live sphagnum moss, placed in a plastic bag, and moved to a cool area.
Fly Trap Tips
If your plant is not grown in a terrarium, it is a good idea to place a pie pan or large saucer, with about an inch of water in it, under the pot.
This will keep the humidity around the plant higher and it will ensure that the plant has a constant source of moisture.
If your plant is growing in a terrarium, you will have to provide it's food. Fly Traps will consume 2 or 3 flies each month. You can also purchase small crickets at a local pet shop as food. Dead flies and insects may be used, provided that they died of natural causes and not by poisons.
Never, never, never feed your Fly Trap hamburger. The fat content in burger will be fatal to your plant..
Artificially springing the trap, (poking it with your finger), drains the plant's energy. If this is done too often, the trap head will become less sensitive and possibly die.
Always keep dead leaves and heads cut off to prevent fungal infections. (Dead leaves and heads are a part of this plant's life cycle, and do not necessarily mean that the plant is unhealthy.)
I remember having one in a classroom as a kid but don't remember much of the details about it other then it stank and the flies were gross.
Has anybody here eaten a Venus Flytrap? Was it good? I would think a splotch of tobasco - ?
Hya bob, I read that FAQ last night. It's very very good. I'm wondering if anyone here has a terrarium and has any practical advice that is not FAQesque.
E.G. I'm looking at a specimen called "Dente" for it's more pronnounced "teeth" but the red/green dragon mix also looks kinda good.
I just don't know if I should get a terrarium first or let it sit in a pot for a while.
And if anyone knows how to make it eat a whole steak.....
Oh, I'm also trying to use this to see the ad again. I lost the site and had a particular one in mind. Once this is cached I'll prolly get the ad I want.
Both those Google ads appear on thegardenhelper site I posted. Is that what you're looking for?
Nah, I saw those ads last night. But I already found the one I was looking for. It's was on another unrelated thread here.
I will start to prepare the t-bone steak right now. It needs a warm welcome.
I have grown regular house plants in terrariums. The biggest mistake people make with them is too much or too little watering, usually too much and not enough gravel on the bottom to keep the plant roots out of puddles of water. The soil ends up souring and the plants die.
Until I figured out that less was more, overplanting was also a mistake I made.
BTW, the ad I wanted is now displaying here. They seel terraniums and have the dente specimen of the venus fly trap.
I bought a few plants... Now I must prepare the steak.
well, cut it up into weeny pieces, put it on a toothpick, and wiggle it on the leaves.
I used to kill the flies for mine - swatted 'em - I couldn't stand to watch them suffer.
Mine was happy in a bright window. It died when I put it outside.
Can you find one big enough to capture its own beef?
Steak would kill it.... sigh
I'll probably buy crickets to feed it. But it will weigh heavily on my conscience.
No, I will no opt for free range chook...
Just watch for any dangly bits of yours that might get close to it....
Crickets are too chitinous (not to mention adorable) and the chooks will choke the thing with feathers.
Maybe it would like mealworms (ug).
Maybe JerryR could help with the menu. Anybody seen Jerry lately, by the way?
This is inspiring me. We have a totally great sorta-antique store down the street from our studio/gallery...and I am phasing out on the name. Something like Onyx. They sell wonderful old bits of things, for example an entire set of devotional candle glasses in iron...
Well, anyway, their front window is filled side to side with carnivorous plants. Sue (my business partner) bought one and wants more, more more. She just keeps it over her kitchen sink on the ledge, which happens to have perfect light... well, her kitchen window faces east. Mine faces north. Same difference, no? They are so...comely!
My cousin's not happy with the fat cat. Says she's "this close" to getting rid of her.
I wonder if...