Did you listen to your parent's music as a child?

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:30 pm
I got a lot of Gershwin, Paul Robeson, Shirley Bassey.

I appreciate it more now than I did then.
0 Replies

Po

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 04:03 am
thanks to my mum, i have great taste in music Very Happy
or at least i think i do. thanks to her i am an R.E.M. fan, and through that i have found some great music, much better than i consider the stuff floating around on the radio. Patti Smith, Cat Stevens, Bowie, The Smiths, The Ramones, Husker Du, Pylon, Radiohead and too many more to all name (or even remember off the top of my head)
she is disappointed i'm still not a Hootie and the Blowfish fan though Very Happy
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
Hi po. Nice to "meet" you.

I would say yes, you have pretty sound taste in music.

c
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:40 pm
Well, my parents whisked me off to bording school for five years, where I developed my taste in music. So no, we don't like the same music. And I think that's a good thing.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:41 pm
Mum liked classical, opera (Mario Lanza and George Schmidt) and Elvis Presley movies. I can cope with classical, particularly the more emotive stuff - there's very little opera I can stand. And Elvis usually leaves me cold (I used to hate him back then, now I get it a little more).

Dad liked Klaus Wunderlich, James Last, Jim Reeves, Tijuana Brass and 50 Guitars South Of The Border.

They both loved Mantovani and Henry Mancini. They evolved into mild fans of mid-period Neil Diamond (Hot August Night to JL Seagull).

For the most part I had no time for what they listened too (until my musical epiphany).

Dad's taste never really moved - he always said my tastes would change and I'd hate the stuff I liked - but he was at least half wrong - I still like the stuff I liked, but now I like a whole lot more stuff.

Mum when on part of my musical journey and was a fan of Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. When I left home I used to send her tapes of Triple Js ambient program with Arnold Frollows which she treasured. A lot later on she started revisiting the pop music of the sixties which she had pretty much ignored at the time (at least in terms of buying it). She also became a huge fan of Eva Cassidy which I never quite grasped either.
0 Replies