Did you listen to your parent's music as a child?

Pene

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:55 pm
Did you listen to your parent's music as a child? If so, please describe that experience. How do you feel about that experience now as an adult?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,728 • Replies: 45
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:01 am
My parents listened to music on the radio, we didn't have a phonograph until around 1965. In general, the music my parents listened to was just "there", mostly it didn't affect me one way or the other. I write "mostly" because of one important exception. I should state that I grew up in England in the 1950s and 1960s.

My father was very fond (still is) of a particular type of male singing. I think it is called "Barbershop" or "Close Harmony". Every Sunday evening at 7 PM on BBC Radio, there was a programme called "Sing Something Simple" with an outfit called The Cliff Adams Singers. They sang accompanied by a guy with a harmonica. The only song I can remember clearly was "Apple Blossom Time". My father would often whistle this tune.

I can still remember the feeling of gloom that would descend upon me as this show went on. I developed a profound loathing for that type of music and that style of singing that has lasted to this day.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:15 am
I remember Richard Clayderman and Acker Bilk which dont feature in our lives anymore, but Im glad to say mum loves Tina Turner which Ive heard throughout my life and very happy about I am too.
Luckily they arent stuck in a timewarp and quite like the modern day compiltions of the more mellow music produced today and they buy Michale Buble albums.
Also mum loves Amy Winehouse.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:25 am
My dad now likes Nana Mouskouri and Sarah Brightman. (I don't)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
I remember fondly walking home from school in the nice spring weather - just simply enjoying the beautiful weather and being free from school. As I approach my house my pleasant walk becomes a nightmare. All the windows are open and mommy has her 8 track tape player on full throttle and from our open windows is the horrific sound of Barry Mantilow and mom's voice off key singing gaily along.

Yes - I was forced to listen to my parent's music and it is why I am scarred for life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:44 am
My parents didn't listen to music all that much, we had maybe 15 albums - some adult, some kids' music. My parents came of age in the 50s listening to the 50s tunes popular at the time. In the 60s they started to get into folk and even a little disco, eventually. They bought a Crystal Gayle (sp?) album which I didn't much like. There was an ABBA album and a Fleetwood Mac album. I'm not entirely sure those albums were bought by them, my older brother may have bought them.

I'm not sure of what you're asking, Pene. I don't actually recall sitting and listening with my parents. I did sit and listen to both albums and top 40 radio shows with my brother. I think his influence had the biggest effect on me. I still love fleetwood and disco, when I hear it, makes me happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:46 am
Mom played music all day long, until the prime time radio programs, such as The Lone Ranger, came on. She loved Hank Snow and Eddy Arnold the most, I think. I listened, and loved it. Hank's Movin On, Eddy's Cattle Call. I noticed Hank Williams and was drawn to him. I still recall the day he died. No mention of drugs, but it was mentioned he was drunk. There was a station, KRDU, in Dinuba, CA, and the DJ, Johnny Banks, mailed her his photo. Another dj, Cottonseed Clark, used to censor the records. He wouldn't play You Better Not Do That, by Tommy Collins, for instance.

In 1956, my older brother asked Mom to let him hear Lucky Lager Dance Time, after school. She not only allowed it, but she became a rock n roll fan also. So, we basically all liked the same music, since I also took to the rock.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:52 am
both parents are musicians, so there was always something playing --
beatles, lots of folk music, a ton of classical...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:25 am
Edgar- my mother loved Eddy Arnold too (and Elvis). To this day, I love that lonesome cowboy song Eddy sang (was that the Cattle Call song you mentioned) and can't help but sing along whenever I hear that amazing intro.

Both my parents listened to music all the time- one of my first memories is being in my mother's bedroom while she made the bed and sang along to Winchester Cathedral or Hey, There Georgie Girl playing on the radio. Sometimes she'd just whistle. She's an awesome whistler-she makes it seem like an artform.

My father loved all the Broadway musicals. He had all the LPS- I used to sit in front of the console "hi-fi" looking at the record jackets to the broadway productions of Camelot, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Man of La Mancha, The Music Man, etc- every year around Christmas time, he'd try to get us tickets to whatever show was big that year- and if he couldn't we'd go to the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall instead.

Even now, we still exchange music. He burns Conway Twitty cd's for me, and I burn Roseanne Cash cd's for him and Bob Seeger for my mother.
0 Replies

Pene

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
This is in response to Littlek's statement, "I'm not sure of what you're asking, Pene. I don't actually recall sitting and listening with my parents".

At this point, I want to keep the questions open-ended. What does it mean "to listen"? I want people to define that for themselves.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm
Just my mum's music. Some of it I liked, some of it was ****.

I was into the Blondie, the disco stuff and the odd bit of soul she played but after being forced to listen to Paul Simon's Graceland for the 500th time, I was ready to crack!

x
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edgar- my mother loved Eddy Arnold too (and Elvis). To this day, I love that lonesome cowboy song Eddy sang (was that the Cattle Call song you mentioned) and can't help but sing along whenever I hear that amazing intro.

Yeah. Cattle Call was Eddy's biggie. They play it on the Houston trail rides still. And, my Mom loved Elvis too. She liked one song so much, she named a child for it. (Linda, from the 50s, probably first appeared in a movie or play).
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:27 pm
Yep, I listened and enjoyed-- although I complained about it every minute! I don't know why, I just had to keep up appearances, you know... Laughing

They had really good records...I've bought a lot of them on cd now. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, Jefferson Airplane, Moody Blues, etc.

I think what took the longest for me to appreciate was my dad's taste for bluegrass-- I just heard "hick" for the longest time when I heard his music, heeheehee. I love that now, too, though, and I ask my dad for recommendations fairly often.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:33 am
Oof, my parents' taste in music. My father likes Gilbert & Sullivan, my mother likes show tunes. 'Nuff said. I think the most listenable record we had in the house, until my brother and I started buying stuff, was the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack.

Matchmaker, matchmaker, gaahhhh
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:37 am
Yes, I have to admit that I did.
Today it embarrasses me!!!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:09 pm
What a great question.

My parents music tastes definitely influenced me to play music professionally.
My earliest recollection was hearing the songs of Argentine folk music,especially Eduardo Falu, an exquisite guitar player.
On Sunday nights my folks listened to a folk music program where I heard Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and especially The Kingston Trio.

They also played the classical music station a lot so I had a pretty good understanding of that genre.

To this day, when I visit them I always bring music as a present.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:29 am
My grandmother would sing Protestant hymns while she worked around the house or in the garden. So, although my grandparents assiduously assured that i was educated as a Catholic, i could sing The Old Rugged Cross, The Little Brown Church in the Vale, In the Garden, and many, many others.

My mother was a big fan of Cuban music, especially Cuban big band music such as Desi Arnez and Tito Fuentes. I've always loved Cuban music and the music of the Islands.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:45 am
Re: Did you listen to your parent's music as a child?
Pene wrote:
Did you listen to your parent's music as a child? If so, please describe that experience. How do you feel about that experience now as an adult?

Hell no! Ukrainian polkas!
Are you kidding?
Torture, it was!

(Welcome to A2K, Pene. Nice to meet you! Very Happy )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:48 am
msolga wrote:
Torture, it was!

Punished we were ! ! !

Dis
Pro
Por
Tionate to our crimes ! ! !

(I've seen the first Pirates of the Carribean movie about 20 times now.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:54 am
Setanta wrote:
msolga wrote:
Torture, it was!

Punished we were ! ! !

Dis
Pro
Por
Tionate to our crimes ! ! !

(I've seen the first Pirates of the Carribean movie about 20 times now.)

But you got to sort of like (pirates), yes? Laughing

Yeah, it was torure, Set. After the polkas (the fun bit) we'd have a burst of maudlin Songs From the Motherland! About cossacks & stuff like that ....
Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Awful, awful!
0 Replies