What are you?

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:54 am
Not *who* are you, but *what* are you?

And I'm not asking about the body you inhabit, but the thing reading this question.

What are *you*?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,883 • Replies: 99
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 03:45 pm
This "thing" reading your post is a 68 year old, retired, relatively happy, third generation Japanese American. I'm the product of the American environment. I have a pretty close-net family, although as kids my siblings and I rarely did anything together as a family. After nine-eleven, we started having a quarterly sibling lunch. I'm a husband, a father, a brother, and friends to many around this world, and I'm involved with A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
That's the real trick, isn't it? :wink:

It's pretty easy to define "who" we are, as c.i. did, but determining "what" we are is a bit more challenging.

I can say that "I" am the consciousness that is created by the brain inhabiting this particular body, and talk about neurological processes, memory, REM states and psychology. But what is a consciousness, anyway?

I can compare consciousness to the patterns on a computer screen created by a combination of hardware and software, but as far as we know a computer is not conscious and never will be. And "I" am not a computer.

I can describe the feeling of awareness I have and speculate on whether other animals have similar awareness. But what is awareness?

I can post a lot of mystical claptrap about souls and oneness with the universe without ever defining what a soul is.

No, I cannot answer your question, but I will be interested to see if anyone else can.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 05:17 pm
I am the sum of billions of years of manipulations by nature of all the atoms that constantly renew and break down within (and somewhat without) this vessel called body and self. I am a transcendence of mere chemical formulas, for I have self knowledge and manipulate my environment, quite often on my own terms. I reach out to other similar vessels, even procreate with some. I play host to millions of other vessels (microbes). I express myself in many ways, vocally and physically. I carry within remnants of the past and bodings for the future. I have a pronounced altruism. I have within me the opposites of physics: love/hate/; sorrow/peacefulness; anger/acceptance; etc. And yet all these opposites mesh together to make up one viable human being.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 05:39 pm
I am tickled pink that you ask such a question.

Wink

I am an intelligent being. I see myself how others see me, as defined by *who* I am as well as THINKING I know of who and what I am through social conditioning, environmental effects, peer groups, etc etc. This is an ever changing definition.
I refuse to give futher information until the *what* is defined in particular and in a direct manner. If no particular is defined, I am only able to generalize the *what* and define my particular *who* and my belief is that would just be incorrect.

But, WHAT do I know?

Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
quinn, I believe you are a young person who still worries about showing thyself. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:30 pm
I am a beloved child of God, created in His/Her image and likeness.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:33 pm
we are stardust

we are golden

we are billion year old carbon

and we got to get ourselves

back to the garden
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:41 pm
We are actually the intermediary of a long chain of homo sapiens that walk this earth. c.i.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
quinn, I believe you are a young person who still worries about showing thyself. Wink c.i.

What you havent seen the pictures? Wink

Okay Okay..I am who the voices tell me to be.

Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:55 pm
quinn, Provide the link or post your picture on this forum. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:02 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:05 pm
For now, I am the unfortunate captive of a talkative boyfriend who refuses to allow me to think of anything intellectual to say.

I am a person who will have to awaken after he is asleep and through slitted eyes and yawns repsond, hoping my content makes some sort of sense.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:47 pm
Now, pull that drummer out from behind that bottle.
Bring me my pipe, we're gonna shake it.
Slap that drummer with a pie that smells.
Take me down to California, baby

'tis i....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 11:01 pm
I'm just a country girl who loves to learn and create things. I am happy with myself and need plenty of wide open spaces, fresh air, peace and quiet, the wilderness, the ocean, and good people in my life. The simple things in life are what make me the happiest.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 01:32 am
Husband, father, engineer, Christian, stuck in a job I hate, trying to do my best and not quite sure if it's going to be good enough.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 04:32 am
I know you are, but what am I?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:04 am
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
All good answers so far. Thank you Smile

In 1956 when Hollywood presumed to answer this question for God in the movie The Ten Commandments, they did it with a burning bush which spoke to Charlton Heston. Its answer was, "I Am".

If we forget our past, and our knowledge, and just focus on what we are thinking at any given moment, are our answers the same; simply "I Am"?

Or can we qualify it... I am a person, I am a thought, I am alone, I am the universe dreaming, I am an illusion, I am nothing, I am everything; the God of a self contained world.

I am a dream of life. What are you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 07:28 am
Quinn will be very grateful for that description . . .

I am the King of Ireland
I love to sing and dance
And if you don't believe me
I will kick you in your pants
0 Replies