Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:02 pm
Source
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how a sperm donor owes child support to a lesbian couple who wanted to have children. If they had the children they should pay not the guy who tried to help them. He has died and now they are after his estate for money. This is crap. They made a choice and now they have to live with it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,361 • Replies: 10
No top replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:21 pm
I have to admit this would open a whole new can of worms if it became a wide spread thing in the sperm donor/recipient situation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:26 pm
I agree that sperm donors should not be liable for child support, just as I don't believe that biological parents who put their children up for adoption should be held responsible for child support.

I recently adopted a child and spent around $10,000 to make sure that all the legal loopholes that could be closed, were closed -- and we have an open adoption. There is beauty and security in formal arrangements. Formal arrangements protect both sides. They're worth every penny.

This family should have made formal arrangements as to who was responsible for what. The man sounds like he DID have a close relationship with the children -- they called him "poppa". He was certainly more than a sperm donor.

I'm not sure he should be liable for support but I don't think it is so cut and dried as to say that he's not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:37 pm
I agree with your take, boomer. That's what I was thinking too, that these three were playing kind of fast and loose with a serious issue and not really thinking down the line as to what would happen if things went wrong. Then things went wrong.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:45 pm
Quote:

The process was very informal — Jacob was inseminated at home.

This is a very odd sentence. I must say I have a bit of curiosity about the process.

I guess one could say my daughter was inseminated at home...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:48 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

You sure ya' wanna post that info on the Internet?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:54 pm
cjhsa wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

You sure ya' wanna post that info on the Internet?

I'm going to give Ebrown the benefit of the doubt and say he was thinking his wife was inseminated. They had their daughter.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:58 pm
How did you all have your kids.... cloning?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:04 pm
You all do know that insemination is an important part of normal human reproduction, right? (a dictionary might be helpful if you don't understand the process). Most of us find participating in this process to be quite enjoyable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:32 pm
Sorry, I speak EFL.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:33 pm
As I poke around the internet looking for different sources on this, it appears that the man was declared one of the two biological parents after the women split up. The decision makes somewhat more sense in that light. Not tons more.

It's a complicated area of the law that's just going to get wilder (based on the what I've been reading).
0 Replies