The Kobe Debacle

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:54 am
Here's my take on the Vail Hotel allegation:

For one thing, I'm frustrated at all the hoopla, and the lack of substance that characterizes the reporting in this case. As was mentioned by another A2K'er on another thread, we have to hear about Kobe being "fluent in Italian, and someone who scores 1080 on his SATs", and we have to hear about the alleged victim being "an exemplary young lady, ex-cheerleader and past American Idol contestant". I suspect that all the delay in charging Mr Bryant has not been due to the difficulty of searching through all the evidence, as the story is being told, but because of the sickening jockeying for position that always seems to go on in the proximity of any high profile criminal case in the good ole USA. The media wants their slice, the DA realizes this is his crack at immortality, the family and friends of the victim all become infected by the pageantry. All of which serves to distract the gentle viewer of all these proceedings from the crux of the matter - was there sexual contact that was not voluntary on the female's part, or not? Stated thus, it seems simple. Even if there is no DNA, a "her word or his" case can be tried, and the jury can decide.
All in all, the impression I've taken from the whole debacle has been reinforcement of my disgust with the peculiar American brand of marriage between "justice" and "journalism". What say you, true believers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 35,175 • Replies: 319
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
I agree...it's all a circus, the media loves these cases. One reason they keep bringing Kobe's intelligence, is because most of the time, the athlete is a half-wit.
I read somewhere marketing execs think Kobe may not be as marketable endorsing products because he lacks the tough street image, like Iverson, ect. No criminal background, ect...sad if that's what sells products. I'm only 26, and can already hear myself saying..."back in MY day, no Michael Jordan NEVER went to jail, and he sold more sneakers than Carter sold pills. Damn kids these days."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:53 am
the local news this morning here in colorado is just what snood suggests as being a "his word vs her word" and, at least here in colorado, there does not seem to be a following in either direction which i find to be somewhat refreshing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:43 am
Any chance they'd actually try the case in that little town, dys? How are Colorado courts about that sort of thing?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:05 am
um well not an easy question to answer as this is a "burb" of Vail so its hardly an ordinary little colorado town (Gerald Ford has a home just up the road along with many other high mucky-mucks) so i suppose it would be akin to perhaps Cape Cod or something equivalent. Thus having a large population of elite and wealthy semi-residents I am guessing they would eschew the media of a high profile court case and would prefer a change of venue. On the other hand we had the Spider Savage killing in Aspen that was the talk of the town ala Hollywood. The only thing i have read locally is that the town is very upset about the media coverage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:49 am
I'm ignoring this stuff until more substantive information is forthcoming. What a waste of time! c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:54 am
I do find it interesting (and dismaying) how the media always seems compelled to take public persona into account in presenting the story. To go back to Allen Iverson, he was essentially touted as guilty by the media when accusations were levelled against him a couple of years ago, while it seems now like Kobe gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a spoiled rich kid with a big smile and no tattoos (and who peddles junk-food marketed to children in an increasingly obese and unealthy nation, but whatever)...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
On this one, I'm basically with ci. I think people like Kobe are opened up to blackmail and smear campaigns.

Points to ponder:

1) Women routinely throw themselves on athletes.
2) Athletes generally like this.
3) Athletes get in on as often as they please.
4) Many of these sexually active athletes are married, rich and prefer to keep their extramarital activities private.
5) This is a situation ripe for blackmail, and 15 minutes of fame.
6) I think, until facts point to another possibility, that Kobe screwed her, and then she proceeded to screw Kobe.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
I do remember in the beginning they were talking about physical evidence. Without physical evidence there is nothing and should not have a case, regardless of the "name".
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:39 pm
Mike Tyson got convicted of rape just on the strength of the woman's testimony.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:44 pm
Wasn't Iron Mike's accuser all beaten up?
She was placed at the scene by witnesses, correct?
Wasn't it a little more than he said, she said?

Ive forgotten the details....

Didn't she go to the hospital immediately afterwards?

Remind me. Meanwhile, I'll go for links.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:44 pm
but as sofia suggests, evidence of what? that they had sexual contact? how does that consitute a crime? The issue of a crime of sexual assault would still be up in the air.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:47 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm ignoring this stuff until more substantive information is forthcoming. What a waste of time! c.i.

Could the young "lady" be slightly pregnant? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:47 pm
If body fluids are exchanged, the testimony of the victim is much stronger.
I don't remember whether the girl was beaten up, but that Tyson was pretty much convicted in the press.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:49 pm
snood wrote:
If body fluids are exchanged, the testimony of the victim is much stronger.
I don't remember whether the girl was beaten up, but that Tyson was pretty much convicted in the press.

Tyson?

Why in the world would any civilized woman want to have anything at all, to do with him? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:51 pm
Try to focus, New Haven... I know its difficult for you. could you please try to offer something toward the issue being discussed?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:53 pm
snood wrote:
Try to focus, New Haven... I know its difficult for you. could you please try to offer something toward the issue being discussed?

Tyson is an animal. Any woman who'd have anything to do with him is subhuman. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:55 pm
snood wrote:
Mike Tyson got convicted of rape just on the strength of the woman's testimony.

As he should. That animal!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:58 pm
why I'm sure they didn't even need a trial, shoulda just lynched him on the spot......
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:59 pm
Hey, he's still out and about, maybe we can still organize a mob...
0 Replies