I am woken up at night from the feeling of nausea

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:40 pm
Hi there. I'm looking for some help. for the past couple of months, i have fallen asleep fine but woken up in the middle of the night by a serious case of nausea. i have to immediately run to the bathroom, but not always vomit. sometimes i make it go away. the times i have not, all i do is dry heave. sometimes a little greenish, yellowish fluid comes out. but it's not a lot. this sometimes happens 2 or three times during the night.

i have also woken up from my nights sleep at 9 or 10 in the morning and had the same thing happen. i have also noticed that if i go long periods without eating and my stomach begins to growl, i have the same problem. serious nausea which causes me to pray to the porcelain god for a few minutes.

this has happened if i eat late, but it has also happened if i have not eaten late. so i'm just confused. i'm a 27 (today is my b-day!) year old male. i don't exercise as much as i should b/c of my schedule, and i try not to eat fast food, but sometimes i have to. i have stomach ulcers (2) and colon polyps. i also tend to get very bloated and gassy when i eat meals. nothing in particular sets that off, it's usually everything. i know i have to go back to my gastro doc, but i was just wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this, or know anyone who has. i'm trying to get an idea of what might be causing this. thanks

oh yeah, the only other history of GI problems is my dad having gallstones, and having his gallbladder removed. i don't even know if that's a GI problem. thanks again
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 33,861 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:43 pm
Hi cubn and welcome.

I couldn't begin to guess what the problem is (it could be many things). I strongly urge you to see a doctor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:49 pm
Get yourself to a gastroenterologist, no, not your usual general practioner, GP, unless you have to do that to get to a gastroenteroligist in your health care system.

If you are in a medical university area, you could call their g.i. clinic and see if you qualify. Tell whoever interviews you the whole story.

Excuse me, I made the blythe assumption that you are in the United States, while many of our posters are from all around the world. Tell us where you are, approximately.
0 Replies

thecubn41980

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:33 pm
i'm in northern nj. very close to nyc. i plan on calling my gastroenterologist. i was just wondering if anyone was experiencing the same symptoms.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:49 am
I've occasionally had nausea at night, it wakes me up with a vengeance, I just shoot up to a sitting position. It's like a rising of gorge and sometimes it feels like a little burning. I don't seem to have to pray to el porcelino, though.

A few things I've found that help -
  • not eating less than maybe a half hour before sleeping, sometimes a longer period is needed. But even a small thing like a cracker right before bed seems to be a trigger (probably the stomach acid doing its thing)
  • lying on my left side and not my right. I pretty much always have the nausea when I'm on my right side.
  • pillows angling at about a 45 degree angle. Head stays up and stomach is lower, this also seems to help things stay down

Hope these help. Yours sounds worse, hope the GI doc has some effective treatments for you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:23 am
thecubn41980 - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

No, I have not experienced the problems that you have. I agree with the others. IMO you need to see your gastro doc asap.

One thing that bothers me. You say that you have colon polyps. Now, you should not have them for long. Colon polyps can be a precursor to colon cancer. If they are removed before they become cancerous, that is the end of that.

If you have a tendency to grow colon polyps. you need to have a colonoscopy every two years, so that they can be removed. It is no big deal. I grow colon polyps, and have had a number of them removed already.
0 Replies

thecubn41980

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:32 am
there are times where i don't eat for hours before bed, but i still wake up with the nausea feeling. i have also had the polyps removed. i've done the whole colonoscopy/endoscopy thing already. i'm not scheduled for another colonoscopy for about another year. my doc already told me that i need to get them removed every couple of years.
0 Replies