BARBEQUE SEASON IS NIGH_needalittle help

Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:48 pm
@farmerman,
hmmmm isn't rake a bad boy? I meant rack.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 01:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
How could anyone not understand the glory of bbq?

I understand the glory if you start by catching a wild buffalo. Or a snake such as the one Shane Warne was shown cooking on a BBQ grill recently. Getting all the kit and ingredients from shops might be a fine illustration of what the word "travesty" means for those who need some colour added to "absurd misrepresentation".

But I suppose Heinz soups are not served by canmasters and thus offer little opportunity to be masterful.

As Philippa Pullar was at pains to point out in her great book Consuming Passions: one simply does not talk about food in polite company because one cannot help thinking, when one does, of the mastication, the swallowing, the oesophagus and the peristaltic reflex by which the aforementioned food in conveyed through the alimentary system on its way to the anus and from thence onward to whatever fate your local authority determines for it. One would have to avert one's gaze from a group of quasi-posh people discussing world affairs bearing that in mind.

It is considered in rather bad taste. So much so that very refined persons hide themselves from public view when eating much as others do when shitting.

It is a theory of mine that if it was possible to **** in an infinite variety of fashions so that status could be ascertained from the various skills displayed people like effemm would be shitmasters at grand gatherings of the great and the good. And turd pipes would be on the front of residences painted in bright colours with built in inspection windows at head height.
Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:13 pm
@spendius,
Spendius you are disgusting.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:26 pm
Quote:
The point of material difference between machine-made goods and the hand-wrought goods which serve the same purpose is, ordinarily, that the former serve their primary purpose more adequately. They are a more perfect product--show a more perfect adaptation of means to end. This does not save them from disesteem and deprecation, for they fall short under the test of honorific waste. Hand labour is a more wasteful method of production; hence the goods turned out by this method are more serviceable for the purpose of pecuniary reputability; hence the marks of hand labour come to be honorific, and the goods which exhibit these marks take rank as of higher grade than the corresponding machine product.

Thorstein Veblen. The Theory of the Leisure Class. Chapter 6--Pecuniary Canons of Taste.

Such as Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie. (Remove cover and microwave for 2 mins.)

What effemm describes is very much in the way of a priestly office and it is notable how much to the fore are hints of his pecuniary reputability and honor. And his control.

The only justification is that the ritual involved in BBQing makes the congregation feel better about themselves as is the case with all religious ceremonials. To pick one ceremonial out for praise and another for denigration is the hallmark of rampant, bigoted subjectivity.
Sglass

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:37 pm
@spendius,
you are still disgusting
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:17 pm
@Sglass,
Why?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:24 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Why?
yes, quite the question these days, is it nature or nurture?
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:32 pm
@dyslexia,
whats the old fool up to now?
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
I will admit that my nature side is somewhat disgusting from certain surburban points of view but nurturally I am quite refined and have delicate sensibilities. I use Charmin toilet paper with added fragrance for example and I never pick my nose if I think I am being observed by anybody who knows me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
Tomorrow , Im gonna do a brisket and sides of baked beans and pepper cabbage. Mrs F is gonna try some spoon bread.

Weve got a peach cobbler in the prep stages (peaches are being burbled on the stove)

We had a nice summer storm with about 1 " rain (we needed a bit) last night. The rain just mopped out the whole sticky climate and is leaving us with a few days of bright coolness.

Global WArming , where is thy cling? The climate has been quite temperate this summer so far. We will officially be in Sirus territory next three weeks and ifn it doesnt get warm soon, this summer will go down in history as one wet and cool one. Beware the glaciers.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
about 5' 3" would be my guess. Some brewers droop and foot problems but other than that the same old monotony.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:15 am
@dyslexia,
I started doing a pork butt as well as a brisket. Its gonna be day of watch the fire, check mymeat, watch the fire , check mymeat.

Its a wonderful life.
0 Replies