BARBEQUE SEASON IS NIGH_needalittle help

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 05:37 am
Ive been trying to barbeque for years now and am getting the "Low and SLow" heat thing down pretty well. My next step is working on the RUB. Ill do pork shoulders or Butts and beef briskets (and of course all kindsa ribs) but the thing I dont like are the commercial RUBS. They are mostly all salt and impart a too salty flavor to the picked meat. ANybody have a good rub that doesnt involve a lot of salt (or have salt as the main ingredient).

This is probably a US thing so, those of you from the upside down part of the planet may not have similar traditions, but if you have something similar , please send it on. NOBODY DONT LIKE BARBEQUE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 7,778 • Replies: 111
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 05:41 am
Most of the Memphis and Montreal rubs don't have all that much salt. You can make your own and leave the salt out as well.

Memphis Rub: http://southernfood.about.com/od/bbqsaucemarinade/r/bl30418a.htm

Montreal Rub: http://www.recipezaar.com/39107
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 05:54 am
Thanks fishin. Have you tried these? Ill cut down on the cumin, Im not a big cumin fan. (Reminds me too much of BO)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 07:22 am
you're first really big mistake is mentioning barbeque and beef in the same sentence.

barbeque is pig. until you learn that fact you are doomed to failure. you need to get down to Raleigh quickly and let me show you around a few REAL barbeque joints where we cook the pig for like 24 hours or more and make the hushpuppies right on site so they come from the fryer directly to your mouth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:22 am
while pig is a favorite of mine (If you would have noted I listed swine first), I cannot ignore good bbq beef brisket. ALL the barbeuqe eatin world recognizes this. But Ill put aside our genetic differences and allow you to buy me a fresh hushpuppie and pulled pig sammich at one of your favorite spots.

I see a road trip in the making. Im sure that theres somebody lives in other places that have half- decent bbq
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:24 am
Too bad that SquirrelX guy from Abuzz isn't reading this. He had your ticket, farm.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:28 am
the squirrel is a major fixture over at Seattle Buzz.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:29 am
Wow, theres a name from the past. I remember he hadda thread "In praise of Pork" or something like that. You Texans eat bbq beef so you agree with the Bear that pig is the only thing that's bbq?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:29 am
farmerman wrote:
while pig is a favorite of mine (If you would have noted I listed swine first), I cannot ignore good bbq beef brisket. ALL the barbeuqe eatin world recognizes this. But Ill put aside our genetic differences and allow you to buy me a fresh hushpuppie and pulled pig sammich at one of your favorite spots.

I see a road trip in the making. Im sure that theres somebody lives in other places that have half- decent bbq

we'll leave a light in the window for you. Just don't mention beef and barbeque in the same sentence in eastern NC. could be ugly. :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
We just burn meat here Farmer. There is no finess, just charcoal (and salad)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
so you enjoy tossing a salad now and then do you dadpad?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:47 am
Nitrosodimethylamine--very bad for you. Found in burnt meat fats. Possible carcinogen and high in flavor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:49 am
How izzit that everything with the Bear winds up as a lead in for a Dirtry Sanchez, a Cleveland Steamer or a Tossed Salad.?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:57 am
No salad tossing for me thats a shielas job. Women in the kitchen at a barby is a true Aussie tradition.

Farmer: carbon absorbs toxins so I figure it evens out.

I once went to a pig on a spit at which a greek dude kept flailing said pig with a bunch of herbs dipped in vinegar. It was yum
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:00 am
farmerman wrote:
How izzit that everything with the Bear winds up as a lead in for a Dirtry Sanchez, a Cleveland Steamer or a Tossed Salad.?

you forgot the chicago hot plate.... Laughing

sorry buddy.... didn't mean to derail the thread... I'll leave quietly...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:12 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

sorry buddy.... didn't mean to derail the thread... I'll leave quietly...

<slam> And stay out!

hmmph well that ought to raise the tone of the thread a little.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 10:34 am
Texas BBQ is done with smoke, which ends up being the major flavoring. My rubs do use quite a bit of salt, but the briskets are big and thick, so it's just the outer edge that gives a bit of salt flavor.

Chicken's good smoked, but it needs to be positioned correctly so that the smoke will go through the central cavity. One must be careful not to overcook, as it dries out.

I've had "BBQ" from the Carolinas, but I'm sorry to say I wasn't a fan. Maybe it was the restaurant, but I found it to be dry.

Pork needs moist heat. It's best done in a true pit, sealed away from the air, with a pot of steaming water (or, better yet, barracho beans). Goat is good this way, too, but I've only tried it in Mexico.

My smoker has a separate fire box, and various methods of choking the air flow so that the wood smokes, instead of burning. I usually smoke for a few hours, then move it to the oven for a controlled burn. 12 hours (total) at 200 degrees is usually about right for a brisket.

You can simulate w/o the smoker by using a broiling pan, liquid smoke, and a aluminium tent. Rub the brisket with your preferred rub, put the liquid smoke in the bottom of the pan, the grate above with the brisket, tent the whole thing, and roast at 200 degrees for 12-14 hours.

I prefer apple wood to hickory, though, so I don't use the liquid smoke method.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:43 am
farmerman wrote:
Thanks fishin. Have you tried these? Ill cut down on the cumin, Im not a big cumin fan. (Reminds me too much of BO)

I tried them both last summer and prefer the Montreal rubs to the Memphis rubs. I'm a huge fan of pepper.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:10 pm
We has a lamb roast at a place i worked once't, and it was conducted much like a down home pig pickin', where the carcass was laid on a rack above coals in a half 55-gallon drum (cut length-wise). However, there was this Punjabi guy there, and he would slit the meat, and push whole garlic cloves in the slit. When the meat was done, he'd carve it off, and then slit the meat again, and put fresh garlic cloves in--it was to die for. He used a dry curry rub to begin with, but eventually, all you could taste was lamb and garlic.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 01:35 pm
he didnt use his gurka did he?
0 Replies