Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84

blueflame1

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:03 pm
Kurt Vonnegut's Last Paid Speech http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/7/2006/1326
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:06 pm
I only got a paragraph or two down the article and started laughing and tossing my guava juice on ice, just managed to miss the keyboard,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:20 pm
Aw, thanks for the rich link.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:21 pm
He's in heaven now.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:24 pm
Thanks for the thread Jo. I am so sad that he isn't here in person anymore, but he will always be around.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:58 am
So, he goes...

Thanks for the links.

I've read some novels of him, in Chinese or English. And I feel he has become a definite component of my youth. Frankly, reading Vonnegut for Chinese students in this age is not so different from that of American generation in the 60s, 70s.

Sad his death may be. But as msolga said, it was good for him, with all things considered.

Then it was good. Farewell, Mr.Vonnegut
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:05 pm
A beloved treasure...saw him on Jon Stewart maybe a year ago with his last book...forgot the name of it, but bought it and loved it. I am sure its under a stack somewhere around here!!!

"We should be kind to each other."...."and so it goes..." I loved him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:50 pm
Nice to see you again, J-B, and you too, Vietnamnurse...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:17 pm
Vietnamnurse, J-B--

Echoing Osso's pleasure. Good to see you.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:32 pm
Noddy and Ossobuco...good to see you too! I have been waaaay too busy with life. I missed Timberlandko's passing and just read the whole tribute to him. I didn't read what happened with his son in Iraq...do any of you know? He was so kind...even when you disagreed with him, you knew he was a gentleman and I often told him so.

I miss many of you here...I have my daughter and grandchildren that have moved in with me and Grandpa....we are busier than we thought we would be at 65 and 75 respectively! We are blessed and also very tired...often don't get on the Internet...and when we do we read blogs or newspapers.

I miss you wonderful A to K people very much.... You are my family too.

D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:53 pm
Vietnamnurse--

Every so often announce you're a member of the Me Generation and you're going to log on to A2K and visit.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:21 am
I was browsing around last night and came across a site called "Letters of Note" that included this letter that Vonnegut wrote to his family: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/11/slaughterhouse-five.html

It starts like this:

Quote:
Dear people:

I'm told that you were probably never informed that I was anything other than "missing in action." Chances are that you also failed to receive any of the letters I wrote from Germany. That leaves me a lot of explaining to do -- in precis:

I've been a prisoner of war since December 19th, 1944, when our division was cut to ribbons by Hitler's last desperate thrust through Luxemburg and Belgium. Seven Fanatical Panzer Divisions hit us and cut us off from the rest of Hodges' First Army. The other American Divisions on our flanks managed to pull out: We were obliged to stay and fight. Bayonets aren't much good against tanks: Our ammunition, food and medical supplies gave out and our casualties out-numbered those who could still fight - so we gave up. The 106th got a Presidential Citation and some British Decoration from Montgomery for it, I'm told, but I'll be damned if it was worth it. I was one of the few who weren't wounded. For that much thank God.
0 Replies