It Would Be A Fantastic Film

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 09:09 am
Is there a book, or series of books, that you are quite disappointed has never been made into a movie?

One such for me would be Roger Zelazny's Amber series, about infinite parallel worlds and those who are able to travel between them. The concept is fascinating, the charcters are so colorful that they virtually jump out of the page, and the dialogue and naration are brilliant.

Is there some book (or series) that you've long wished had been filmed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,923 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 09:13 am
I'd like to see The Hobbitt done on the same scale that the Trilogy was.....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:58 am
Re: It Would Be A Fantastic Film
Brandon9000 wrote:
Is there some book (or series) that you've long wished had been filmed?

Actually, I'm not sure if I wish someone would make a film of A Confederacy of Dunces. More like I dread someone will make a film of A Confederacy of Dunces. And it's not for lack of trying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 01:32 pm
That was a fantastic novel--and i agree that it would probably make a lousy movie. Kind of like Dune, a wonderful and enteratining novel which made one of the worst movies ever.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 07:50 pm
The Canterbury Tales
I just did a Google search and did not find a movie of "The Canterbury Tales." If that "poem" has never been made into a movie, I wonder why. There have been stage and opera performances of Chaucer's work.

Chaucer's famous poem "The Canterbury Tales" is rightly considered one of the cornerstones of both western literature and drama. It draws on a rich tradition of classical Greek and Roman poetry and medieval literature to produce a work of sublime storytelling that is poignant, hilarious, spiritually uplifting, wonderfully lewd yet thoroughly thought provoking.

What do you think some of the drawbacks might be for such a production?
[/size]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
The Wife of Bath's Tale, the Pardoner's Tale, and other passages--it would get an "X" rating . . . at least an "R" . . . and then there's the language, not always family material . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
Re: The Canterbury Tales
Charli wrote:
I just did a Google search and did not find a movie of "The Canterbury Tales." If that "poem" has never been made into a movie, I wonder why. There have been stage and opera performances of Chaucer's work.

Chaucer's famous poem "The Canterbury Tales" is rightly considered one of the cornerstones of both western literature and drama. It draws on a rich tradition of classical Greek and Roman poetry and medieval literature to produce a work of sublime storytelling that is poignant, hilarious, spiritually uplifting, wonderfully lewd yet thoroughly thought provoking.

What do you think some of the drawbacks might be for such a production?
[/size]

Actually there was a French film in 1972:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067647/
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Also a 1971 film
Thanks, Lightwizard. I've also found a 1971 Italian film of "The Canterbury Tales." It's available on DVD.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/canterbury_tales/
[/color]
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
Actually, they seem to be the same film.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:58 pm
Yes . . .
Yes . . . I believe they probably are the same film. I looked at the "French film" as given by Lightwizard. Then, I came right back to edit my post and found that it had already been replied to - hence, no editing allowed. Smile [/color]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:43 pm
My boo-boo -- I meant to type Italian film but it came out French. Multi-tasking at work does this! Plus I was gnawing on a snack and the surround system was cranked up full blast while half-way watching the 90" screen in the projection room.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:53 pm
How about a series of films based on the Zap comics?
0 Replies

jezebelus

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:33 am
Dunno if someone read "Nobelman" by B.D. Benedikt. Movie would be awesome. Anyway one of the best books in my life.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
I know I shouldn't but when I think of a movie of "A Confederacy of Dunces" the only person I can envision playing Ignatius is Michael Moore.

I think "My Happy Life" would make a good movie.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
How about a series of films based on the Zap comics?

There have definitely been some good movies with comic-book imagery. Matrix comes to mind.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
300 is based on a comic isn't it?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:03 am
It's what I've heard. Haven't seen it; don't plan to.

Now, Spiderman 3 I just might make the effort to go see.
0 Replies

BarFlyMountain

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:28 pm
i would like to see house of leaves by mark danielewinski (i totally spelled his last name wrong, haha) made into a movie, that'd be a trip.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
boomerang wrote:
I know I shouldn't but when I think of a movie of "A Confederacy of Dunces" the only person I can envision playing Ignatius is Michael Moore.

I laughed my ass off at that one . . . good casting, Boom.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
Cormac McCarthy's The Road would make an excellent movie. It has the emotional and artistic integrity of a great drama in the unfolding story of a father and son, but it also has the sort of ingredients that can usually be counted on to put warm bodies in the theater: it's set in a burned-out, ash-covered, post-catastrophe America where some survivors have formed cannibalistic gangs that feed on or enslave other survivors.
0 Replies