THE RISING OF THE CELTS - A NEW IRELAND

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:43 pm
toronto's "globe and mail" had three page article about the "new ireland" in it's saturday edition .
the writer , john doyle , grew up in ireland and went back to visit with his family last fall . i quite enjoyed the article , but never having visited ireland , i wonder how people from ireland or those who have visited there recently see the "new ireland" .
hbg

Quote:

link to full article :
...AN INSOUCIANT IRELAND...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 979 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:11 pm
When I visited Ireland, I was surprised to find that culturally, it felt much more similar to the US than the UK did-there were several times when I was there either sitting in a restaurant or even a pub, or walking down a street that I found myself forgetting that I wasn't in the US- that never happens in the UK-I'm always aware that I'm in a totally different country.

This article pretty much sums up the feeling I had the whole time I was there. I was also surprised to find that I felt that culturally, Ireland and the US feel more similar to each other than Ireland and the UK or the UK and the US do to each other.

I didn't attribute it to economics though. It seemed to me that Irish people seemed to relate in a more similar manner to Americans than the British. There was an immediate, initial openness in some of the Irish people I met that is very similar to that which I'm used to in Americans.
There also seemed to be an immediate affinity with me as an American-I felt that they were fond of Americans as a people, and didn't have any anti-American sentiment or superior feelings to them as a nationality.

British people often seem more initially reserved, at least with outsiders, which is what I am, so that's the only measuring stick I can use.
But after they get to know you -I've found them to be extremely open and lovely (in general) Laughing -but there is often a residual resentment or superiority toward Americans expressed (usually in jest), which wasn't at all present with interactions with the Irish people I met.
I think the Irish are a little more easy going and mystical than the British and so can relate a little more fully to that "pilgrim/pioneer traveling to the unknown spirit" that Americans embody, and they also seem to embrace that spirit of make your money while you can, which seems to be quintisentially American, while the British express that such an attitude is vulgar.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:36 pm
some more interesting information on ireland .

one article is headed :
"putting a brass knocker on a barndoor"

Quote:
At an economic conference held by Ireland's Central Bank on September 15th, Governor John Hurley said that "the much-discussed era of exceptionally strong growth - representing a delayed catch-up process, if you like - is clearly behind us now," he said, noting a number of specific concerns about the economy's structure. In particular, growth has become somewhat unbalanced in recent years, with an unusually high reliance on the construction sector, combined with some deterioration in the economy's export performance....Further structural change will clearly continue to be required if we are to maintain and improve our relative position. The policies to be pursued, therefore, are ones that permit, or even encourage, structural change to occur on an ongoing basis and in as smooth a manner as possible."

...ECONOMIC FACTS ON IRELAND...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:01 pm
All I know is that two years ago we began to see employment ads in the subway cars and the jobs were in Ireland.
Second, for the first time in my memory people are reporting that they are receiving money from the Olde Country rather than reverse.

Joe(grandfather born in Inch)Nation
0 Replies