All of your burning philosophical questions answered

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:13 am
Well, maybe not all of 'em. And not necessarily quickly. No extra charge for attitude or obfuscation.

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
I dunno. When I was a young woman, I would sit in the coffee houses in Greenwich Village, and discuss "life", "the meaning of life", and various and sundry other matters. At the time, it seemed like an important thing to do.

As I matured, I found that I really did not HAVE to discuss philosophical questions much. I was too busy living.

There are some members on A2K who love to delve deeply into these philosophical matters. I usually pass those threads by, because at this point in time, those kinds of questions no longer resonate within me. I think that by now, philosophical questions are too abstract, and have little relevance in my life.

So here's a philosophical question. What is the correlation between the stages of life, and the necessity of discussing the "big" philosophical questions?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I dunno. When I was a young woman, I would sit in the coffee houses in Greenwich Village, and discuss "life", "the meaning of life", and various and sundry other matters. At the time, it seemed like an important thing to do.

As I matured, I found that I really did not HAVE to discuss philosophical questions much. I was too busy living.

There are some members on A2K who love to delve deeply into these philosophical matters. I usually pass those threads by, because at this point in time, those kinds of questions no longer resonate within me. I think that by now, philosophical questions are too abstract, and have little relevance in my life.

So here's a philosophical question. What is the correlation between the stages of life, and the necessity of discussing the "big" philosophical questions?
When I was younger I went to NYC to pick up the British motorcycle i had ordered and I sat in a coffee house in Greenwich Village and listened to Rick Von Schmidt and John Hammond singing the blues on the sidewalk. I also wondered why Richard Nixon was a quaker.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
If you haven't got the answers applied to the various stages in your life,
there is a correlation between them, otherwise I don't see it - simple minded that I am.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
Why is apple butter?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

As we get older, we get wrinklier and greyer until we approximate Paris on a foggy Spring day. This answers very little but gives us an undeniable cachet. Therefore, embrace your inner Catherine Deneuve.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:56 am
dyslexia wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I dunno. ...

When I was younger I went to NYC to pick up the British motorcycle i had ordered and I sat in a coffee house in Greenwich Village and listened to Rick Von Schmidt and John Hammond singing the blues on the sidewalk. I also wondered why Richard Nixon was a quaker.

RMN was a Quaker because he enjoyed oats. However, in later life, they made him paranoid. Therefore, you should stick to an all-Velveeta and Nutella diet. You'll be only marginally saner but at least you won't be Richard Nixon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:57 am
CalamityJane wrote:
If you haven't got the answers applied to the various stages in your life,
there is a correlation between them, otherwise I don't see it - simple minded that I am.

Try using the cardboard applicator. It's biodegradable.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:59 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Why is apple butter?

For the same reason that fleas hiccup.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:13 am
Why do intelligent people elect idiots to lead them?
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:17 am
Jespah wrote:
You'll be only marginally saner but at least you won't be Richard Nixon.

Who knows? If you are really malevolent in this life, what are the chances that when you die, you will return as a reincarnated Richard Nixon? Imagine what it would be to KEEP returning as Richard Nixon?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:19 am
If I die, never ever having tasted even a smidgen of Nutella, would my life have been in vain?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
If there is a god, why would he have allow Dick Cheney to own a necktie?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:49 am
Why are so many of us spending time on A2K that would have been more productively or satisyingly be spent in other ways?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:51 am
Oh hurrah! I have a philosophical question that is driving me crazy:

Are the "Star Wars" movies best viewed in the order they were made (4-6, 1-3) or in the order of the story (1-6)?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If I die, never ever having tasted even a smidgen of Nutella, would my life have been in vain?

Probably not in vain, Phoenix, but certainly less stressful. A spoonful of
Nutella makes you fall into this deep relaxation where you feel a warm
wave of satisfaction coming over you and you can't help but take another
spoonful. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
If there is a god, why would he have allow Dick Cheney to own a necktie?

If there truly was a God, he would need a great sense of humor to
swallow all the things he's faced with watching our beloved earth.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:04 pm
Quote:
Are the "Star Wars" movies best viewed in the order they were made (4-6, 1-3) or in the order of the story (1-6)?

Yeah, that's been bugging me too. Please answer this one...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Why is apple butter?

Yes, but is this truly a philosophical question?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:31 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Yes.
0 Replies