Dagmaraka in D.C.

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:37 pm
I have a whole Sunday to roam around D.C. I'm thinking of staying at the President Inn on 1600 New York Ave... which is the cheapest of the cheapo...and am wondering, is that central enough?

and, while there, is there anything super special that i should see? i'm done with the Mall and the White House and the Army and Navy museum, I've been to D.C. plenty a time, so I'm looking for something extraordinary that a regular tourist would not venture out to see. Fun. Open on Sunday. Cheap. I have all day to play.

Anybody around to play with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,142 • Replies: 22
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:38 pm
I'll send Cheney over.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:38 pm
No car, right? Hmmm.... I bet there will be blooms there now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:39 pm
no, no car. it would be fun to have a bike though. can i rent a plain ole bicycle somewhere? Idea
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:43 pm
Have you been to Adams Morgan? I can't remember if it's gone down hill or become touristy - went one way or the other. It was the 'ethnic' neighborhood.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
i have absolutely nothig to add to this thread

except this tune

Washington, D.C.
The Magnetic

W a-s-h i-n-g t-o-n, baby, D.C.!
W a-s-h i-n-g t-o-n, baby, D.C.!

Washington, D.C.
It's paradise to me
It's not because it is the grand old seat
Of precious freedom and democracy
No, no, no

It's not the greenery turning gold in fall
The scenery circling the Mall
It's just that's where my baby lives
That's all.

Washington D.C.!
It's the greatest place to be
It's not the cherries everywhere in bloom
It's not the way they put folks on the moon
No, no, no

It's not the spectacles and pagaentry
The thousand things you've got to see
It's just that's where my baby waits for me

W a-s-h i-n-g t-o-n, baby D.C.!

W a-s-h i-n-g t-o-n, baby D.C.!
Washington, D.C.!
It fits me to a T
It's not the people doing something real
It's not the way the springtime makes you feel
No, no, no

It ain't no famous name on a golden plaque
That keeps me that makes me ride that railroad track
It's my baby's kiss that keeps me coming back
It's my baby's kiss that keeps me coming back
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
no, no car. it would be fun to have a bike though. can i rent a plain ole bicycle somewhere? Idea

There are these big books, yellow in color, and they have listing of bike rental companies inside of them, amongst other things.

It's a fairly new concept, but I think it might catch on.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:54 pm
Stayed in a fancy hotel the only time I was in DC. Spectacular bathroom. You should go filch a maid's outfit and lounge around in one for the afternoon.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:58 pm
Maybe i'll bike around in a french maid's outfit if i can find one of them yellow books.

i've been to Adam's Morgan.... as well as Madam's Organ, a bar in that area. My sis lived in D.C. for a year.

so i'm looking for an unusual event or exhibit... of course, i could look online...but i don't have time, because i'm on a2k....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:00 pm
Quote:
Maybe i'll bike around in a french maid's outfit if i can find one of them yellow books.

Post pics.

(I've nothing to offer here.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:03 pm
W.A.S.H.I.N.G...T.O.N baby.....D.C!!

i'll have that in my head for days now. one of my favourites.
0 Replies

Health Concern

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:48 pm
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the President Inn in Washington DC if you value your health and your life. They are now under investigation by the Atty Generas Office and the consumer protection agency. I reported them due to the filth, the bugs, rats, and the disease my daughter got from contaminated Mattress and or Linens. Its in a horrible neighborhood with hookers inside and outside the hotel. Please type in President Inn DC Reviews in your google search and read the horrifying reviews about this hotel and then stay away for your personal protection. You have been warned.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:06 pm
Wow, a filthy President Inn and a filthy president......
Fits just like a shoe, doesn't it?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:33 pm
Health Concern wrote:
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the President Inn in Washington DC if you value your health and your life. They are now under investigation by the Atty Generas Office and the consumer protection agency. I reported them due to the filth, the bugs, rats, and the disease my daughter got from contaminated Mattress and or Linens. Its in a horrible neighborhood with hookers inside and outside the hotel. Please type in President Inn DC Reviews in your google search and read the horrifying reviews about this hotel and then stay away for your personal protection. You have been warned.

As a matter of fact, I stayed there... and I cannot agree less. Sure, it isn't high class, but what do you want for $60 a night. The neighborhood is black... if that's what you mean by unsafe. There were zero hookers inside on the two nights I stayed there, and my room was just fine. Not spectacular, fine. Clean enough, too. The receptionist was nice, told me what's worth to see where, and let me check in early.
By the way, I walked all the way from the Union Station to the hotel on foot... and can safely attest to the fact that other than being ethnically defined, there was nothing 'wrong' with the neighborhood.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to D.C. day after tomorrow, and will stay in the President Inn again.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:38 pm
Would you be kind enough to enquire as to the asking price of the hookers.

Thank you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:43 pm
It's $50 for 30 minutes. But there weren't any.... but if you call me I can ask around... you know, when I'm there. Not that I would know where to even look for them...but I have a talent for observation. I'm pretty sure I can find it out for you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:44 pm
Why? Don't they have them down at your end, gustav?
One would think, the swamp is just perfect territory for them (and you
of course).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
but they don't get dem eastern european ones down there i bet.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:52 pm
You might be right, dag. I don't think any Europeans got lost down
at the swamp, ever!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:12 pm
We stayed at the Holiday Inn in 1987, across from the Watergate. I've no clue what to do in the city for people who know it. We walked the Mall at midnight, and ate breakfast at the nothing cafe at the holiday inn at two in the morning. I like hotels, and have some ink written letters from my father to me from the Mayflower, from the mid forties, so we walked in some of the better knowns. There had been some hazzerai about the police and aids activists very recent to our walks near, what, the Ritz Carlton? The whole gloves thing, don't get me going.

We had a friend of a friend at the time who was a Carter adviser or consultant, and met at a cafe in Georgetown. Us, we mostly walked the city.

We did at my urging go to the Building Museum, a well regarded place last I heard, but it was closed when we got there.

I don't know if you like gardens or not. I did like Beatrice Farrand's garden in Georgetown, though it's been futzed with since I've been there.

We did venture out of the immediate tourist especial area - I suppose it's too late for you to check Washington, DC Access. R. S. Wurman's Access books are usually useful to me, and that's how we found a certain cafe. If I ever find the photo, I'll post it. Think, pie.
0 Replies