THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 11:08 pm
I've noticed over decades that you Brits like to compare your weather with that in Spain .... when it'swarmer.
Quote:
Parts of Britain could enjoy weather as warm as Barcelona’s this weekend with temperatures reaching 18C

Munich was 24C on Thursday. We expect that temperature here today. (Had quite some snow just 30 km away in the 'Sauerland' - they'll get only 14 C today.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 02:29 am
So, Dortmund got Klopped. What a match, what a finish.
I felt a bit sorry for Dortmund, but I think Liverpool had an extra player in the technical area and another one from the Kop.
One for the scrapbook.
McTag

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 02:30 am
bump
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 02:33 am
bumpy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 03:12 am
@McTag,
Mrs Walter likes Klopp very much (okay for me). And Dortmund (yuck! gross!)
We agree that it was a good match.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 08:55 am
If Sweden can have its own hotline, so can Britain. Just don’t ever call it
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 04:49 pm

No prisoners at Stamford Bridge. Fantastic spectacle, with some football. I breached a bottle of claret in honour of Mr Ranieri and his wonderful team.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 05:42 pm
@McTag,
I am pleased although privately I wanted us to thwart Spurs.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 11:13 pm
@izzythepush,
I was hoping Leicester would clinch at Old Trafford.

No style points for them clinching this way, but...

HOORAY !
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 02:47 am
@Kolyo,
It's not all good.
Quote:

Gary Lineker is to honour his pledge to present Match of the Day in his underpants after his beloved Leicester City defied all the odds to become Premier League champions.

Lineker, who scored 95 goals in 194 appearances for during a seven-year career with Leicester – his local club – made the pledge as the team hunted down the most unlikely of championship wins.
Tottenham Hotspur’s failure to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge enabled Leicester to clinch the title in one of the biggest upsets in the history of football in Britain.

When he made his pledge in mid-December Leicester City were only two points ahead of Arsenal and most experts expected the club’s tilt for glory to fizzle out in the weeks ahead.
Few expected Lineker, 55, to have to honour his promise. Leicester, who had just avoided relegation the previous season, were 5,000/1 outsiders for the Premiership which has been the preserve of the well-funded footballing aristocracy.

At the beginning of the season bookies were offering less generous odds on David Cameron taking over as manager of Aston Villa (2,500/1) and Simon Cowell becoming the next Prime Minister.

Lineker’s appearance in his underpants will mark the culmination of a surreal season. It was, he said “The biggest sporting shock of my lifetime.”

A lifelong Leicester fan, as well as a former player. Lineker watched the match with three of his sons and told Radio 5 Live that they went “absolutely bonkers” and were “jumping around like lunatics” when it looked as if the team were on the cusp of being crowned champions.
His promise to appear before millions of television viewers in his underwear drew an interesting response on social media, including a tweet from his former wife, Danielle Bux. “Hope they’re whiter than white Links” she wrote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/05/03/gary-lineker-to-present-match-of-the-day-in-his-underwear-after/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:06 am
Seems, that a suspect package has been found in the north west quadrant at Old Trafford.
I wonder why the other matches (especially that in Swansea) started punctually (and City just shot a goal).
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 03:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Seems the suspect package was a cock up, and not a terrorist threat after all.

Quote:
A suspicious item discovered at Old Trafford on Sunday was a training device, police have confirmed.

The Premier League match between Manchester United and Bournemouth was called off after a suspect package was found shortly before kick-off and a controlled explosion carried out.

Police said the item had "accidentally" been left by a private company after a training exercise on Wednesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36297390<br /> <br />
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 09:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Good news.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know, if it really is a good news, but the Saints are now 5th on table ...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
For the time being at least. The Worst we can end up is 6th which is still our best Premiership performance as is 63 points.

Now we're relying on bloody Bournemouth to win on Tuesday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:49 am
@izzythepush,
Old Trafford bomb scare: Security companies behind Manchester United 'fiasco' named
Quote:
Greater Manchester's mayor and police and crime commissioner, Tony Lloyd, said Manchester United must be "up front" with answers about the "shambolic" security scare.

He said: "What's almost impossible to understand is how in placing so many dummies for an exercise, those dummies were not counted in again and in counting them in, to find that one is missing, if that was, as I understand it on Wednesday, really people shouldn't be searching all the way through till it's found, whether on Wednesday, on Thursday, on Friday, but certainly long before 20 minutes before kick-off of a major game at a time when already tens of thousands of people were in the ground.

"I think most of us would have assumed first of all it couldn't happen and the exercise went wrong in the way it did without remedial steps long before Sunday, but actually I think it's also astonishing that there isn't a routine sweeping of the ground to find something that seemingly was discovered quite easily once the sweep was taking place 20 minutes before kick-off, but far too late on."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 12:16 pm
Quote:
Britons from the West Country to the north-east are increasingly speaking like southerners.
Regional dialects are dying out – it’s enough to get you blarting ... with "a guide to some bostin’ words and phrases at risk of extinction".
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 07:25 pm
When it comes to football, the UK is still very much a part of Europe. 3 UK teams are in the round of 16 this year. I'll be cheering hard for Wales in their game against Northern Ireland, because unlike Northern Ireland, the Welsh could win more than just the one game.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:08 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
When it comes to football, the UK is still very much a part of Europe. 3 UK teams are in the round of 16 this year. I'll be cheering hard for Wales in their game against Northern Ireland, because unlike Northern Ireland, the Welsh could win more than just the one game.

What do you think is on their minds at the moment, football or the stock market crash? Sure Izzy's mind is on football but she is one sick gal isn't she?
Kolyo

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:27 pm
@reasoning logic,
Izzythepush has shown no evidence that his mind is on football. I brought up the subject. And he's a guy, not a gal.