THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:39 am

Seems like Frau Hinteler's darling boy is showing the Scottish upstart how the game should be played.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:01 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:01 am
Bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:02 am
bump
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 07:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...You'll be a lot happier when you realise that nobody outside of the US gives a **** about your celebrations, your constitution or your "sports."...

Until they get here, then they decide that the U.S. is very accomodating. The children are encouraged to "feel" American, in my opinion. Also, in my own opinion, certain nationalities are paranoid about assimilating. British that are here for jobs might kid each other about "becoming a Yank"; however, I don't know what they do when their kids turn out to be Yanks?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:10 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
In recent years it has been my custom on this day to ask Americans, on balance, whether they consider it an advantage or otherwise to be independent of this country.
I don't think I've had a polite reply yet.

Without the revolution we'd not have the Second Amendment carved into stone. I'd rather die than give that up.

Other than that, I'd be happy to still be part of the Commonwealth. Lots of first rate music comes out of the UK.

I've thought about playing a redcoat in Revolutionary War battle reenactments, though I've never done so.
McTag

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 02:11 am
@oralloy,

Second Amendment and redcoats, hmmmmm.....

I see you tend to be on the losing side of the argument.
Kolyo

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 03:51 pm
@McTag,
Ten days on, what better place to celebrate Bastille Day than in the British thread! Very Happy

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-07/15/xin_040701150134544151910.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 04:18 pm
@Kolyo,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 04:13 am
Anyone see The Last Leg last night. It was worth it just for this.

margo

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 04:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Doesn't show here until mid-week - but I usually watch it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 05:15 pm
Just started watching The Crimson Field.
That's some good stuff you lot throw our way.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 05:26 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Second Amendment and redcoats, hmmmmm.....
I see you tend to be on the losing side of the argument.

The Second Amendment reigns supreme here in the US.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 08:44 pm
Did anyone catch the penultimate stage of the Tour de France up the Alpe d'Huez?

(It's relevant here because a Brit was in contention -- and ultimately won.)

Great team tactics by Chris Froome's Sky team, and even better teamwork by the runner-up, Nairo Quintana, and his Movistar team.

Not all stages of the Tour have much going on in them, but this year was fun, because the best climber by far, Quintana, went into the last two alpine stages down by 3 minutes. Froome was a broken man by the end of it, but he just about hung on.
McTag

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:41 am
@Kolyo,

He was a bit tired, that's all. Too many interviews, I suppose.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 03:00 am
@McTag,
I was under the impression he'd had to put up with a lot, unsubstantiated rumours of drug abuse and being spat on by the crowd. That takes its toll on anyone.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:21 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

In recent years it has been my custom on this day to ask Americans, on balance, whether they consider it an advantage or otherwise to be independent of this country.
I don't think I've had a polite reply yet.

I believe you are being a bit unfair. I think my earlier reply was quite polite and in keeping with the question.

I believe the essential answer is that very few Americans even think about the question anymore. While our history is short by your standards, it has been fairly replete with significant events, the Civil War and the mass immigrations of the 1860 - 1920 period, perhaps the most significant. Both fundamentally altered our historical trajectory from what might have been had we followed the examples of (say) Canada and/or Austrailia.

Perhaps even more significant is the fact that America was settled by (mostly) Englishmen who were bent on escaping some element of British rule or society, some religious, others economic (Georgia was settled largely by British debtors). With that in mind it is highly unlikely their progeny would settle for increasingly British and increasingly remote rule. They had been left to themselves for ~ 150 years, and resisted mightily when, after the Seven Year's War, Britain attempted to integrate them into the colonial order as a matter of fact as opposed to the mere theory of it, which had persisted until then.

The American colonies thought of themselves as self-governing right from the start, and rebelled once George III attempted to make it a fact.

In short we were never really a part of the British Empire.
McTag

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:36 am
@georgeob1,
A sober analysis.

I like to think it as a victory of commonsense and of stout British settlers rebelling against the administration of a German king and his mercenary army.
Smile
Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:41 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Austrailia
HOW DARE YOU !! Evil or Very Mad

Its spelted 'Straylya .
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 04:32 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

A sober analysis.

I like to think it as a victory of commonsense and of stout British settlers rebelling against the administration of a German king and his mercenary army.
Smile

That's a more or less equivalent analysis and I wouldn't dispute it.

Apologies to Ionus for my misspelling of Australia