THE BRITISH THREAD II

margo

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 04:07 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

I can see women's football really taking off in England like nowhere else in the world if the national team keep outperforming the men.
I have a hunch the English will cheer for anything on two legs that can win trophies.

Not just the English. The Matildas have put on a better show than our men!

But the really serious competition is just about to start, in Cardiff!
Kolyo

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 04:10 pm
Ready...
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 04:11 pm
@jespah,
Set...
0 Replies

margo

bump
0 Replies

Kolyo

@jespah,
Go.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 04:16 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Not just the English. The Matildas have put on a better show than our men!

At least your womens team has it's own nickname. I like "the Matildas" over the "three lionesses" which sounds a bit bizarre.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 05:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
Just looked in to see what was going on, and there is Lordyesass using his ESP again . Still got proof it is me, you jumped up little prick ? Tell us again why it must be me...some BS about my name after you logged in...very clever for you, not quite up to speed for a two year old . Never mind, one of your many boyfriends felt your pain and marked you back up . All better ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 11:42 am
At the garden party in the UK's embassy in Berlin, just now, fish n' chips in German (!) newspaper is served. Shocked But Madam seems to like it Smile
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 12:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What was that "proverb" again about World Championship and the German team? I suppose, the ladies' team now has to be included.
(Les Bleus should have made a couple of goals in the first half!)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:59 am

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11665696_1179224092105621_4732706339131888791_n.jpg?oh=d58b226ced05cacc09825fb5ba98561e&oe=562790A5
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 12:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is the British thread where we can talk about whatever we want We take no notice of attention seeking fuckwits, especially ones as stupid as you.

What an amiable, engaging guy ! well-spoken too !
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:07 pm
Lest we forget what day it is today.

Quote:
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversations?'

So she was considering in her own mind (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.

There was nothing so very remarkable in that; nor did Alice think it so very much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself, 'Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!' (when she thought it over afterwards, it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural); but when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket, or a watch to take out of it, and burning with curiosity, she ran across the field after it, and fortunately was just in time to see it pop down a large rabbit-hole under the hedge.

Quote:
TODAY Oxford is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of Lewis Carroll's first Alice in Wonderland story.

Right across the city organisations are hosting a range of events and festivities to mark Alice's Day, including The Story Museum in Pembroke Street where 150 people dressed as the character were due to gather this morning.
Later in the day the celebrations will feature a Mad Hatter's Tea Party at the museum starring a giant wonderland cake.

And elsewhere in Oxford the annual celebration – which has been running in the city for 10 years – will see singing and dancing at the Oxford University’s Natural History Museum.

There will also be a “Frabjous” Food Fair at Oxford Castle featuring the Queen of Hearts and the book's original printing plates will be displayed at the Bodleian Library.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/13371043.Events_held_across_Oxford_for_Alice_s_Day_on_150th_anniversary/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:11 pm
Related to above.

Quote:
Damon Albarn has admitted that he is not a fan of modern-day musicals, so his latest choice of project is a surprising one.

The Blur front man has co-written a musical version of Alice in Wonderland, and it takes a trip down the modern-day rabbit hole.

Wonder.land, as it is called, still features characters like the March Hare and the Mad Hatter but re-imagines Lewis Carroll's creations for the digital age.

Damon and Lois Chimimba, who plays Alice in the musical, told BBC Breakfast about the project

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33326736
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:29 pm
@georgeob1,

In recent years it has been my custom on this day to ask Americans, on balance, whether they consider it an advantage or otherwise to be independent of this country.
I don't think I've had a polite reply yet.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:41 pm
@McTag,
Well the question is frequently asked by Englishmen (less frequently by Scots), and we do get a bit weary of it. Its sort of like the ritual stuff we would get from the Royal Navy types on joint exercises - it appeared to be on their minds more than ours.

I did spend some time in one of the last RN air arm Buccaneer squadrons (including a couple of at sea periods on the old Arc Royal. All that stuff went away after a few days: they were great guys and I remember them fondly.

The fact is that most Americans are descended from immigrants (or slaves) who arrived here after the revolution, and who therefore don't identify with it as much as perhaps do most Englishmen. My parents were from Ireland and they certainly did not like British imperialism, but there was no real grudge against the English. Indeed it was kind of a love/hate thing.

I recall once in the mid '70s during a port visit to Gibraltar I was a luncheon guest at a British Regiment stationed there (I don't rcall the name:the other one was Gurkha). My host (a good guy, but a bit unctious) did the colonial thing and, as well, entertained me with his collection of Irish jokes on our way to the Mess. Just ouside the dining area there was a low table with a glass covered display of the duty officers logs from one and two centuries ago: evidently they turned a page on each daily. I bent over to read the older one and found a report of the court martial conviction of a private O'Reilly, convicted of assaulting an officer's wife. He was sentenced to 300 lashes. "Of course they were dead after 200", my host said rather oddly. "I assume you gave him the last 100", said I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
@McTag,
I have problems with the behavior of my country and your country. I also rather love both of them.

I don't remember seeing the question before, McTag, and I read this thread a lot, since I'm interested, and generally like the posters, though I don't post on the thread a lot. I suppose I missed those times you asked. Actually, I'm not sure that you have ever responded to me on a2k over many years, me wishing you nice trips to India, Italy, and didn't you go to San Francisco?

I'm not a flag waving type, though I have my own father's flag still folded after his death in the sixties.. I wish well for my country, which has lots of troubles along with lots of good points. I'm sorry that I have not been able to get to many places, and the UK is high on the list.

Advantage to be independent? Are we?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:16 pm
What better way to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland than with something most England fans of many years will no doubt find curiouser and curiouser every time they hear it: England's first win over Germany in women's football in 20 tries!

The third place finish is England's best in a world cup since 1966! Razz

Click on these bronze beauties for more details:

http://www.malamala.com/images/sightings/Sept07/22BH-Eyrefield-lionesses.jpg

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:10 pm
Whether or not Americans believe their victory in the late 1800's was ultimately a good thing for themselves and the world order, we can certainly all come together in celebrating that other American victory that happened one fateful July 4th...

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Independence-day-sequel-is-coming.jpg

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/4734639/independence-day-o.gif

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/41cf0776-918f-4155-8d8e-c50790a7fae1/a804226c-2c73-480f-8ae7-aa9218c829f4.gif
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:09 am
@Kolyo,
It's not something we really bother with, it's just another day like July 3rd. I hadn't even realised until Region posted.

It does however give ugly Americans like Gob1 an excuse to show what a truly repulsive slimy piece of **** he is.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's not something we really bother with, it's just another day like July 3rd. I hadn't even realised until Region posted.

It does however give ugly Americans like Gob1 an excuse to show what a truly repulsive slimy piece of **** he is.

Jesus you are a prick.....