THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 06:09 am
@McTag,
They didn't seem too upset by all that Nazi gold, it seems neutrality is all about turning a blind eye and looking the other way until you're backed into a corner.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 06:24 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
I suppose, it has to do with Swiss Criminal Code.

What would be the relevant laws in England/Wales to start a prosecution against him?
Ionus

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 06:51 am
For the amount of time that people have talked about the corruption, I sure think they took their sweet time doing something . I just hope they get as many as they can .
McTag

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 07:54 am
@Ionus,

Quite funny, one Brazilian delegate got arrested in Zurich, and the other one fled the country.
Ionus

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:18 am
@McTag,
Yeah, I hope they release the phone call he got warning him...Eh ! Pedro...de jig is up ! RUNNNNNN !!!

I wonder where he thinks he can go ? How's the spare room situation in the Eucador London Embassy ? Will Julian mind sharing his bed ? Of course he could always do a Ronald Biggs and flee to Oz...we have a habit of taking in convicts .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:51 am
I put this together for another thread but it might be of interest here .

Quote:
Britain is the actual name of the main island . So one would say Britain and Ireland meaning the two islands . You can also say the British Isles meaning Britain and the smaller islands that are close by . At the start of the 19th century, Ireland had been causing trouble with English rule, so the soldiers and colonists referred to Great Britain as the owner of the Empire, mostly to snub the Irish who certainly contributed to the Empire but whose loyalty was always a bit shaky .

In history, a tribe of celts was actually called the Britons, so you may see that some where .

The actual name Britain can be traced back to an ancient Greek Cartographer who referred to the place as Britain . This is interesting because the Jews and later the Phoenicians traded with the British Isles for tin, and the words Brit Ain are Hebrew for the land or people of the contract . Thus it may be the oldest word currently used in the British language .

An almost identical goddess Britannia to the one currently used can be found in ancient Hittite cities and subsequently on Phoenician coins . She was the Goddess of Waters .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:55 am
@McTag,
If you're referring to the CBF-president Marco del Nero: he left Zürich yesterday and arrived this morning in Rio.
McTag

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Thanks Walter, the FBI know where to find him now. Good luck to Marco, he's going to need it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:17 am
@Ionus,
It's of interest (at least for me Wink ).
I'm not educated enough in linguistics to really add something to the origin of the name "Britain". But I've read a bit the history of tin mining in Cornwall(via the Camborne School of Mines,/University of Exeter). And the history of cartography was part of a thesis I wrote in history.
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
The actual name Britain can be traced back to an ancient Greek Cartographer who referred to the place as Britain . This is interesting because the Jews and later the Phoenicians traded with the British Isles for tin, and the words Brit Ain are Hebrew for the land or people of the contract . Thus it may be the oldest word currently used in the British language .

Is your unnamed source here referring to Massaliote Periplus? (Though lost, the Roman poet Avienus wrote down parts of later.)

When did the Jews start the trade? The Phoenicians traded exclusively since about 1100 BC (until the Venetians did it from around 150 BC onwards). When the Jews did it before the Phoenicians did so - they must have been to Britain before ... those, who are said - until now - to have been the first people from the Mediterranean Sea to have been so far westwards.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:18 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Thanks Walter, the FBI know where to find him now. Good luck to Marco, he's going to need it.
He was on the FBI-list as well?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:37 am
@Ionus,
Since I watched Swiss tv as well, I missed one point.

Ionus wrote:
In history, a tribe of celts was actually called the Britons, ...
There have been more than 30 Celtic tribes in Britain as far as I remember. (Tacitus and Ptolemy wrote about them) But the names were those given by the Greek/Romans .... which can be a bit confusing (the Belgae tribe is a good example)
georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I have a good friend from Munich who tells me the Bavarians are really Celts.

I tell him his upward mobility and ambition are truly admirable.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:16 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I have a good friend from Munich who tells me the Bavarians are really Celts.
Certainly not all persons of the Celtic tribes who had been in what is now the Free State Bavaria moved westward. Some stayed there.
And Bavaria ("Bayern") comes from the Celtic tribe of the Boii ("Boier").

Celtic Tribes during the Iron Age [focus on the La Tène and Hallstatt culture]
http://i58.tinypic.com/qqswu1.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:19 pm
@georgeob1,
Probably no Celts in Westphalia.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:24 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Probably no Celts in Westphalia.
No, you're correct.
(My ancestors were Bructerii [the best guess, since Hinteler is originally Saxon (Henthlere)]. Like other tribes here, we were overrun by the Franks.)
McTag

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

The Celts are at Parkhead, east Glasgow. There's a song about that, too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 02:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I honestly don't know, but he's already had an extensive trial by Media going way back.
0 Replies